I7 Production

SerpSerp Texas Member
edited April 2010 in Folding@Home
My GTX 280 gets around 8500 PPD. That's with a small OC and if I don't do anything with my computer while it's folding. With a Core i7 at 4ghz + a GTX 280 that's close to 10k PPD.

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    That i7 should be doing 10k by itself with SMP2.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I need to do some optimization - my i7 is racking up a whopping .5-1k ppd when folding with this damn 5870. Any tips?
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited March 2010
    That was before SMP2 was out
    edited March 2010
    Is SMP2 not on this page?
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited March 2010
    6.29 should be SMP2
  • SerpSerp Texas Member
    edited March 2010
    Ok I started folding again and with SMP2 it shows 11000PPD with an i7 920 @ 4.2ghz.
    edited March 2010
    do you have the advmethods flag turned on snark as well as smp
    edited March 2010
    I do. I'll make sure I'm running the latest executable; gotta get my OC back as well, since I'm running at stock right now.
    edited March 2010
    Bumped the OC and killed the GPU2 and I'm hitting 11k without bonuses, I think. I guess I have to play with my environmental variables and try to minimize the 5870's (horrible) impact. 4 minute frames without it; 20+ minute frames with it. Ugh.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    I've found it's better just to not fold on my HD5770 at the moment. Granted, I haven't spent a ton of time tweaking to try and get it running but the PPD it provided was always less than the PPD it sapped out of SMP2 on my Phenom II. You're probably better off just waiting for GPU3 to come out which should actually support the HD5xxx cards properly.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited March 2010
    Well that answers one of my many questions not asked yet.

I am currently thinking about the Radeon 5770 as an upgrade for my 4350. The question of whether this card would fold or not was one of my questions. From what you are saying, there is a significant lose in CPU folding while GPU folding.
    edited March 2010
    ATI cards in general are the loser when it comes to folding. If you were considering upgrading cards for folding purposes, you'd be better off looking at any NV offering. We'll see what GPU3 brings. :)
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited March 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    We'll see what GPU3 brings. :)
    When exactly is this GPU3 expected?
    Is it anytime soon?
    edited March 2010
    What is with people throwing this GPU3 around like there is an indication of when the new core is going to be released? No one knows anything about this. People have been talking about how GPU3 is going to be leveling the field or scaling to multi-GPU systems but no one hasn't really known anything for at least a year and a half.

Cliff I am thinking about selling a 88GT, PM me if you are interested at all.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    There are plans to eventually - eventually, as in no firm date, as in not even a ballpark time frame - to develop a new GPU Folding client. Supposedly the new client, GPU3, will be Open CL based, and that hopefully, ATI GPUs will be able to compute in molecular modeling (Folding) more efficiently. There have been no announcements of any dates. This not something firm enough around which to make plans.

If you aren't strongly in favor of AMD/ATI cards and want to do GPU Folding, you should definitely go Nvidia if you are looking for a new GPU.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Perhaps I should apply to grad school at Stanford and try to get into the f@h program. I could push development of OpenCL GPU3.