Something I DIDN'T Want to See in My WC'ed System!

jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
edited July 2010 in Hardware
Haven't gotten around to sharing my water cooled build with y'all yet or this update........however will show you the DARK side of trying! :hair:

Currenty have a water cooled mATX system (DreamCatcher) that has been running almost a year. However due to testing domestic tranquility I've upgraded Kermit to an AM3 system so its parts have gone into DC, however ran into a bit of bad luck with the BFG GTX 280 H2OC that I also picked up.

Will do a "proper" worklog in a wee bit, but here's what I didn't want to see! :eek3:

GPULeakStains.jpgGPULeakFlash.jpgBottomCracks1.jpgBottomCracks2.jpgBottomCracks3.jpgMiddleCrack.jpgTopCrack.jpg
Wondering about one thing though, what do this holes at the top do as it appears coolent was leaking out there also.
HolesInSLITop.jpg

Comments

• PetraPetra Palmdale, CA USA
    edited April 2010
    The failure of the acrylic likely caused water to jump the seals that run through the area between the barbs, which caused water to seep out of the screw holes which run through to the back of the block.

This sort of occurrence is, in a nutshell, why I prefer to steer clear of acrylic and polycarbonate when it comes to block design and construction.
  • edited April 2010
    That is bad. Are they still working?
  • jedihobbitjedihobbit Central Virginia, USA New
    edited April 2010
    Petra wrote:
    The failure of the acrylic likely caused water to jump the seals that run through the area between the barbs, which caused water to seep out of the screw holes which run through to the back of the block.

This sort of occurrence is, in a nutshell, why I prefer to steer clear of acrylic and polycarbonate when it comes to block design and construction.

Haven't had any issues with the original card and cooler. Think that may have been related thickness of the lex and screws used.......

GPUNoLeaksClose.jpg

Narry an issue with my 8800GTS G92. :rockon:
  • edited April 2010
    Petra wrote:

That pretty much sums up my feelings on polycarbonate and waterblocks too. I much rather have brass and copper used all through my waterblocks, with no clear "bling" stuff on the blocks. Now a res is a different story. ;)
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    ^+1 for muddocktor. I have seen so many pics of failed acrylic on blocks from it cracking around the screws or fittings. Granted cracks don't always lead to leaks but it seems like there would be a much larger trend for full metal blocks than towards acrylic like there is currently.
    edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:
    That is bad. Are they still working?

In communication with BFG on possible RMA but the biggie there is it wasn't registered and I no long have the POP goodies. :sad2:

As far as the rest of the system I've given it several days to "dry out" and will be putting it back together this weekend to test. I'll be puttng the original GTS back in if the pci-e socket isn't fried. Will be test initially with the onboard video and then try the GPU.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Remember if you just don't go away and stay madish they will eventually RMA the card just to get rid of you. Having the names and contact info of the support staff does help so you already know the names of their bosses and such.
    edited April 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Remember if you just don't go away and stay madish they will eventually RMA the card just to get rid of you. Having the names and contact info of the support staff does help so you already know the names of their bosses and such.

:rockon:;D :rockon:
    edited July 2010
    Need to bring this up to date and close it out!! After waiting for 4+ weeks for them to come up with replacement parts I called and asked "what about a 285 air cooled just so I can get of dead center. Four days later had a 285 OC sitting on the poarch. :bigggrin:

However by that time I had purchased an Ek water block only to find out that the block was a rev1 and the BFG is a rev 2. :werr:

Lucked out though as I had a XFX 285 that the block would fit so this is how it now looks........

SortaFinishedRtSide1.jpg

OMG I've fallen in love with nickle plate!! :respect:

2010_0630VF3000N0016.jpg
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    That is a super-sexy GPU block.