OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH...BLUE

_k_k P-Town, Texas
edited April 2010 in The Pub
AVATAR is releasing tomorrow on DVD and BlueRay.

I wonder if Lynx is going to call in sick and spend all day running around with the DVD cover and yelling "I SEE YOU NEYTIRI"(yes I had to look up how to spell her name)

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited April 2010
    .... you had to look up the spelling of Neytiri? Isn't that phonetic?

I don't need to call in sick. I have tomorrow off. All is well in the world.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited April 2010
    Nayteeree is phonetic. Nayteeri is phonetic. Nayteari is phonetic. And so on...
  • edited April 2010
    Available on Netflix starting May 20th. I might see this movie at some point.
  • edited April 2010
    You know,

Avatar may be the movie to finally justify a blu ray player for me...

I don't own one, but I might have to scrape some coin together for this film.
  • edited April 2010
    You know,

Avatar may be the movie to finally justify a blu ray player for me...

I don't own one, but I might have to scrape some coin together for this film.

I have preordered the blu-ray version to play on our PS3. Hoping that Amazon will ship it tomorrow. And, I have not seen the movie yet. :o Unfortunately (or not) the disk is not 3D.
  • edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:
    I have preordered the blu-ray version to play on our PS3. Hoping that Amazon will ship it tomorrow. And, I have not seen the movie yet. :o Unfortunately (or not) the disk is not 3D.

I think its going to look fantastic in blu ray, this film was really meant for it.

Let us know what you think when you get it up on the screen.
  • edited April 2010
    Our TV is only 720P but I will let you know :)
  • edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:

For me, I think its going to be about how the colors really pop from the screen. Avatar is an extremely colorful film.

There are other films where Blu Ray is nice, but the DVD presentation is no slouch either, so why make the investment.

I'm thinking Avatar might be the film that gives the Blu Ray format a swift kick in the pants. I really wish someone was running a combo special on a player with the film.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited April 2010
    My mom ordered it, it was en route to her yesterday.
    edited April 2010
    I had been planning on buying a BluRay player for my PC for a long time since Pixar dishes out their films in glorious digital, but AVATAR made me finally shell out the money. Can't wait to watch it, considering I haven't bought any BluRay disks for the player yet.
  • edited April 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Nayteeree is phonetic. Nayteeri is phonetic. Nayteari is phonetic. And so on...

Neighteeree
    edited April 2010
    ok, now you're just being silly.
  • edited April 2010
    Calm down, bobby. No need to get all blue in the face and (ney)teary-eyed over it. Sheesh.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL
    edited April 2010
    I'll wait until November and get the edition with all the extras. I liked the movie but I'm not fanboy enough to buy it twice.
    edited April 2010
    Chip Dapper totally blue this whole thing out of proportion.
  • edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:

This was the best movie experience on our home theater system. I am so glad I bought the blu-ray version. It came with the DVD in the same package, the difference was easily noticeable.
  • edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:
    This was the best movie experience on our home theater system. I am so glad I bought the blu-ray version. It came with the DVD in the same package, the difference was easily noticeable.

I have been holding off on Blu Ray, but I know this is going to push me over the edge.

I'll wait until the holiday when the extended comes out, and hopefully Star Wars disks, but I'm going to start being a good boy for Santa :bigggrin:

I wonder if he gives naughty points for being an insufferable fanboy..... :confused2
  • edited April 2010
    You are fine Cliff. I am sure Santa loves you. :)

I almost never watch the extended features so this version was ideal for me.

By the way, Newegg should be having a blu-ray player today afternoon or tomorrow on their shell-shocker deals. Just to let you now.
  • edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:
    You are fine Cliff. I am sure Santa loves you. :)

I almost never watch the extended features so this version was ideal for me.

By the way, Newegg should be having a blu-ray player today afternoon or tomorrow on their shell-shocker deals. Just to let you now.

Yeah, I saw that, they are doing shell shocker previews now in the email.

Yeah, if I could get a player on the cheap, I might go ahead and do it. Really, I have an old 51" Toshiba HD CRT that I need to consider updating as well. Anyone in the market for a massive relic from 2003?

I'll have to craigslist it and see how I do. With the emergence of inexpensive flat panels, I bet it will be a hard sell.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan
    edited April 2010
    I picked up a Toshiba 46" HD CRT in January for $100. A few adjustments on convergence and focus and it's fantastic.
  • edited April 2010
    I picked up a Toshiba 46" HD CRT in January for $100. A few adjustments on convergence and focus and it's fantastic.

Oh, my picture still looks fantastic, but lack of HDMI, and its large footprint are issues I would love to remedy.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin
    edited April 2010
    You could pick up a ps3 for bluray too :)
    edited April 2010
    Oh, my picture still looks fantastic, but lack of HDMI, and its large footprint are issues I would love to remedy.

Yeah... Those TVs are definitely OMFGHuge, but the place it sits in my living room is just right for it in the corner.

An HDMI -> DVI converter and optical out to my receiver gives me the HDMI experience just fine.
  • edited April 2010

I think lack of HDMI would limit your resolution with many blu-ray players.
  • edited April 2010
    An HDMI -> DVI converter and optical out to my receiver gives me the HDMI experience just fine.

Here you go :)
    edited April 2010
    mirage wrote:
    Here you go :)

Yup. Provided the DVI input supports HDCP (the Toshibas in question do), it will run at full res (1080i in the case of the 46")
  • edited April 2010
    Yup. Provided the DVI input supports HDCP (the Toshibas in question do), it will run at full res (1080i in the case of the 46")

My set does support HDCP, but I still wanna flat screen.

I have them everywhere else in the house, but not in my main home theater.
    edited April 2010
    I'm very happy with my purchase of the Blu-Ray as well. I compared the DVD that came with it, and it isn't anywhere close. Delicious clarity.

I could get used to this HD thing.