Ron's is gone. Introducing Vandy's

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2010 in Community
Well, the day has come. Ron went back to school and sold his cafe.

I met the new owners today, Vicky and Tandy. They combined their names and called it Vandy's.

They've completely re-done the interior, and it's much nice than Ron's was. Everything is clean and new, fresh paint, no more candy machine filled with super old, sun-bleached M&Ms. It looks a lot classier inside. They've removed some of the awkward 2-seat booths and replaced them with high-top tables. The booths have new upholstery and the tables have been replaced.

The menu has been condensed to a single sheet, double-sided. I asked specifically about the mini-burgers and the turkey club because I know those were community favorites. I didn't get a clear answer on the burgers except for you can still get six, and they're "bigger" than Ron's were, but the turkey club sounds like it survived: "Yes, we use fresh roasted turkey on it, not lunch meat."

I think it'll be a fine replacement for Ron's.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Sounds like a great replacement. :)
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Good for Ron. He had some great miniburgers!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    And if they can do breakfast for $7 like Ron's... :thumbsup:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Yep, breakfast is still cheap. Three of us ate there today, and walked out fat and full, for $18 + change.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I hope they do well, definitely see myself eating there for some cheap tasty breakfasts.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Only been there a few times but they were all great. Good luck to Ron in furthering his education and whatever he pursues. That sounds like a pretty impressive change in the short amount of time since I was there for ICSP and I look forward to checking out the new place. I'm sure they'll be feeding a good chunk of the IC community for some time to come.:D
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    What about my Greek omelet? :confused:
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Looking forward to checking out Vandy's at next visit. Ron will be missed, but I'm happy to hear the place has been cleaned up. (that candy machine bugged the crap out of me).

The miniburgers will be taste tested, and I'm sure it will find its way to Icrontic history.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Heads would have rolled if they took away my turkey club. Best breakfast.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Oh, is their coffee any better now?
    edited April 2010
    Good question. I didn't have any, I shall have to return and check.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I wish Ron the best of luck.

Vandy's sounds like a fine replacement. I look forward to trying their breakfasts.

Vandy's became Bismillah Kabob and Curry several years ago. It's a Bengali restaurant and quite good.

MAGIC