The Official Folding@Home Gauntlet Thread II

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Donut wrote:
    The 10k points is from the gx2 I just sold!
    Did someone call me? :D
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Sounds like someone can't take the Heat!!!

Nothing to see here,

Jeer along

-Bobby
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2010
    Can take the heat just fine. If someone could, send it north, it's a whopping 5f, we could use it. :D

Public jeering is fine :wink: After all, there's been more activity in this thread this year than all of last year.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Lookie, lookie who's in the top 20 again.... ME!!! It won't be for long but it is nice to see my production jump a ton. Cannot wait to get my new home rig going.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Let the games begin!!!!!!:approve:

I have been racking my brain trying to come up with something to try and keep the folding community involved and up to date, this is what I have figured is a decent place to start. I will be issuing challenges to the team, old 93, with fairly specific guidelines that will span the course of a week so there is time for a day or two that you can slip in the challenge but does not keep you from completing it. Because of the short nature and this actually being a challenge I will be using the stats from Extreme Overclockers since you can change your production average and overall stats fairly quickly, versus some place like Kako that has a longer averaging period.

These challenges are planed to be done monthly or bi-monthly, not sure how many decent challenges I can come up with. The challenge will be issued minimum 3 days before the start date and at maximum 7 days, one week. The start dates will be close to the end of a month. Whoever qualifies as a winner will get their name posted in a Folding Challenge Completed thread. There will also be the option of a token item I will mail you if you want to provide me with a mailing address, it's not money and its smaller than a bread box.

The overall idea here is that if you complete 4-5 challenges you will be recognized as a Team 93 Folding All Star, you get a shirt and a glamor shot of me ;). Depending on the number of challenges per year the All Star cut off will be just 1 under half of all challenges. Each half year there will be one hard challenge placed, ex: get enough new folders for team 93 that their total at the end of week is 10kppd or better OR add 10kppd to your average. Because of the nature of the stats page I will only be watching the top 20 producers unless I get a random PM or the challenge has a weird rule.

ALL CHALLENGES WILL BE ISSUED IN THE GAUNTLET THREAD BECAUSE I AM THROWING THE GAUNTLET AT THE ENTIRE TEAM!
    Awards will be listed here.

First challenge starts on the 28th of February and will run through March 6th. This challenge is an easy one to start, on the 6th have a ppd of 5k or better. There are already 9 people that meet this challenge they simply need to hang on but there are also another 5 that could easily meet it. Good luck.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Woot. You're on. :fold:
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I can't get my card folding, damnit. :(

I'll just have to try harder.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    I found that scoring the back of the pcb in several places allowed for easier folding.
    edited February 2010
    I just tried that. It still won't run the client, and now I see smoke coming out of my case. I don't remember if that was there before, but I'll just turn off the fans and see if it goes away.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    hahaha... this challenge SHALL BE MINE! The extra oomph from my Phenom as well as the HTPC that I'm building from my spare parts (which I will inevitably set up folding on and leave running 24/7) should easily boost me to 5k ppd.
    edited March 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Let the games begin!!!!!!:approve:

First challenge starts on the 28th of February and will run through March 6th. This challenge is an easy one to start, on the 6th have a ppd of 5k or better. There are already 9 people that meet this challenge they simply need to hang on but there are also another 5 that could easily meet it. Good luck.

The challenge has officially been up for over 24 hours. Leo, Enisada, Dang, Isevald, siv, mas0n, Garg, sgstair, MJancaitis, Jaketh, vid, Tim, and just over the line is ardi. These are people, 13 of them, that are CURRENTLY above the cut off line of 5k ppd, there is still a lot of time left in the week to rise or fall.
    edited March 2010
    First challenge complete. Leo, Enisada, Dang, Isevald, siv, lordbean, mas0n, gargoyle, jaketh, and vid completed the first Icrontic folding challenge.

If you want to receive your token prize PM your mailing address.
    edited March 2010
    ;_; stupid smp client started randomly hanging on my Phenom system, robbing me of the points necessary to be a winrar. CURSE YOU RANDOM ASS SOFTWARE HANGS!
    edited March 2010
    Second challenge starts on the 24th of March and will run through the 30th of March.

Have you ever look at the folding stats for our team and thought Leonardo was a big d-bag because he spends a bunch of money on folding gear and stomps all over the rest of us? Now is the time to rise up! The nobles have the power to bring down the king. The requirements to enter this challenge is to either be Leonardo or a red producer, 6k+ ppd, at the start of the challenge. Which ever side has the highest total ppd at the end of the period wins. If you check right now Leo is behind the curve and has ground to make up.

Some might be looking at what I have come up with challenges as elitism but there are two factors in this. First the people who have made it into the top 20 ppd have showed a certain level of commitment that I want to reward and it makes a manageable number to handle for me. Also the challenges are aimed at certain groups of people but if you are willing to give me some help the lower producers can also take part in a few challenges, but I will give a special note on what anyone that does not meet the initial mark needs to do to be included. There will be an open challenge next month.

This challenge is locked for the group of people that can participate because it is a slight balancing act to have a do able challenge.
    edited March 2010
    Qualified people for Folding Challenge 2, March 24th through March 30th: Leonardo, Enisada, siv, ISevald(icrontic), Tim225, Dang, sgstair, Lordbean, vid, Gargoyle*BW*

Leo ppd: 101,055
    Nobels ppd: 112,758

Only the folders listed above are able to be a part of this challenge. It is a ppd total by the 30th, Leo v. everyone else. Good luck.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited March 2010
    Yeah! I thought I was gonna make the 5K cutoff for the first challenge, but I had a couple bad days of folding which knocked me (folding name Tim225) a couple hundred PPD below the 5K mark. But I'm averaging about 12K a day now with this 3 GPU machine running, and if I could get this other POS computer over here working right, I'd have my 4th 8800GT working also to give me around 15K a day!

I don't think it's all THAT elite, anyone with a dual GPU motherboard and a pair of 8800 GTs plus some CPU action can touch 6K PPD with not a lot of expense.

Challenge on!
    edited March 2010
    Challenge complete:
    Leo - 113,116
    Nobels - 129,190

Nobels win! Enisada, siv, Isevald(icrontic), Tim225, Dang, sgstair, Lordbean, vid, Gargoyle*BW*. If you want your token award send me a PM with mailing info.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2010
    The amusing thing is - I didn't even know there was a challenge running at all. I just left my GTX 285 in my second PC folding as a source of heat.
    edited April 2010
    Enisada get ready for me to kick you in the butt pretty hard when I climb over your back to retake my number 5 rank again.
    edited April 2010
    Challenge number 3:
    This one is delayed a little because I will be out of town when I should of been ending it. So May will have two challenges in it. This is a challenge for user stability. When the Challenge starts you must have a final ppd that is within 2.167% of your starting ppd. Challenge starts on Monday May 3rd and ends Sunday May 9th. If you are not in top 20 producers on the team PM with a screen shot of your production page off of Extreme Overclockers stats page, start and finish required.
    edited May 2010
    2.167%? How did you come up with that number?
    edited May 2010
    What does it matter?

I'm in.
    edited May 2010
    It was the 20th producer divided by the top producer.
    edited May 2010
    I don't think I'll be within 2.167%. If I have to shut down one of the PCs for a while for some reason, or if it's just not good day for the work packets, my numbers can bounce around about a 5000 point range.

We'll see how it goes.
    edited May 2010
    The challenge is over. We had three brave and committed IC folders that rose above the chaff. Leonardo, Tim225, and Jaketh*. Honorable mentions go to siv, everyguy, and csimon because they were within 100 points of the target percentage range.

I was hoping there would be a few more that made the cut off, if all 6 had made it that would have been awesome. There were several people that added clients or got farms started so overall I think the number of people who made the cut and were extremely close is a good showing.

Later this month we are going to have a very similar challenge that will be easier. The team is currently on a strong upward swing with members increasing client numbers, older folders relaunching clients, and keeping active users up. Lets get this community mobilized...SPAM IRC! 20$ to the person that gets Thrax folding:Terms and restrictions apply.

*I will edit this if need be when I have the list and numbers in front of my face.
    edited May 2010
    Garr. I forgot to restart folding 2 nights after some L4D2 action, and I figure that killed me. I suck.
    edited May 2010
    Is hacking into his computer and installing folding for him allowable in the terms and restrictions? I could use that $20 and wouldn't be averse to breaking the law to obtain it :D
    edited May 2010
    Wow, I didn't think I'd be within the 2.167% thing, but if I was, then great!

Here's my entry to get Thrax folding:

Hey Thrax, if you start folding, I won't post any comments on the home page news announcements for a week! Okay, TWO weeks!
    edited May 2010
    Folding Challenge 4th

Time frame is 31st of May through the 6th of June. The challenge is to be within 6000 points of your average on the start day at the end of the period, this should be really easy for everyone because the June challenge has an interesting qualifier. Since this challenge will be a gimmie for so many of the team if you are not in the top 20 now or through the 6th simply PM your ACTIVE folding name on team 93 and I will give you credit, everyone else must compete. Good luck, like you need it.
    edited May 2010
    6000 points? If you're below the top 10, you'd have to go negative to fail. :p

Also, woohoo, broke my 5 mil plateau.