NVIDIA: Future Fermi cards may have 512 cores

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Science & Tech

Comments

• wpeltolawpeltola Indiana
    edited April 2010
    That's pretty interesting... Thanks Thrax!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    They act like we should be shocked about this... They have been making 512 parts already with crappy yields. They are probably getting a nice stock pile of full 512 cards and can finally make a card based on the full architecture.

Its safe to say the GTX 4xx has tons of head room in the performance area which has been clear to me under WC conditions going above a 30% overclock. But if Nvidia is able to respin a cooler running chip than faster models will be rolling out.

I know Overclocking goes both ways for ATI & Nvidia products, but form what I am seeing is a GTX 480 will OC past the performance of a 5970 and the 5970 OC'ed can just barely catch up.

Overall it will be interesting to see ATI's new refresh and Nvidia's new 512 part. Either way both companies are making blazing fast GPU's for the games we play today.
  • edited May 2010
    Its extremely sad to see that nvidia leaves us xfx fans in the cold. Its my brand of choice so if they dont support them(xfx) i wont support nvidia in return.
  • VP
    edited May 2010
    Now i have had many nvidia products over the years but even i can see this is some serious PR spin from nvidia. Dismissing power consumption as acceptable to enthusiasts is really a terrible viewpoint to take, along with the fact yields are obviously so poor there is just no stock out there. Now if nvidia can respin this chip and lower its power consumption, restore 512 cores and up the clocks a tad, it will be considerably faster than a 5870. as it is though, its just not worth it
    edited May 2010
    Last I checked you can get cards at Newegg for the last week in all variations.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I've checked several times, and they're always "sold out" (read: no stock inbound).
    edited May 2010