Building my first system

HalfricanHalfrican West Lafayette
edited May 2010 in Hardware
Hey guys,

To make a short story shorter, I am a complete N00b when it comes building computers. So I have decided, with the help of my roommate Bandrik (god help me :smiles:), to build my first rig. I plan on using for for casual gaming and work related stuff. Here is what we have come up with so far.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-790XT-USB3 AM3 AMD 790X USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - OEM
Case
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
Video Card
HIS H575FN1GD Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
DVD Drive
LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Writer

The only thing I think I am missing is memory, but I don't know anything about memory, let alone which to choose. My 3 questions are :
1) Do I have a good start on this rig?
2) What memory should I get for some casual gaming (TF2, WoW, etc.)
3) What else would you guys recommend for this system?
Thanks in advance guys. Cheers.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Yeay! a system build :rockon:

I would replace the graphics card with a 1 GB HD5770 for about the same price
    You will need a cooler. I recommend CM Hyper 212 plus for the price
    Regarding memory recommendation, I had good experience with G-Skill or A-data for the price again.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm indifferent on Gigabyte motherboards. Had some good ones, had some really bad ones/DOAs. 790X board with USB 3.0 is a solid choice though.

If I was making this decision, I would bump the proc up to a Phenom II X4 proc. The X3 is 720 black edition is a good processor, but for an extra ~$50 you add an additional core, gain higher core speeds, and get a retail package which is going to come with a heat sink. I'm pretty sure OEM processors don't come with a heatsink, which is going to cost you ballpark $50 anyways, so might as well put that cash into the processor rather than a heatsink.

If I'm wrong on the OEM processors bit, please correct me anyone.

As for memory, I'd go for a 4GB kit minimum for casual gaming. You probably don't need to invest more than 6GB though unless you felt a particular need to do so.

I recommend the OCZ Platinum 4GB kit. OCZ makes fantastic RAM, and their DDR3 series are good stuff. That's a 4GB kit for $109.

And finally, because this place is my home, it would be swell if you used this link to purchase your components. It's the Icrontic Newegg affiliate link. You shop Newegg like normal and help support Icrontic all in one convenient little link.

***edited to fix RAM link. Accidentally copied the URL of a DDR2 kit. It is fixed now***
    edited May 2010
    Also, I'd agree with Mirage in the GPU department. I have a Radeon HD 5770. It is a fantastic GPU for the price, and I highly recommend it. For that small price difference and performance gain, I would absolutely go with the 5770.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I'm pretty sure OEM processors don't come with a heatsink, which is going to cost you ballpark $50 anyways, so might as well put that cash into the processor rather than a heatsink.

If I'm wrong on the OEM processors bit, please correct me anyone.
    You are correct. OEM processors do not include a heatsink. Unless you are overclocking or want something much more quiet, the stock heatsink included with a retail box processor will be sufficient.
  • edited May 2010
    A Phenom II X4 would be my choice too, if you can add $50. If you stay with X3, there is some chance that you could unlock the 4th core. But I would consider buying the aftermarket cooler anyway.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Thanks guys for the support so far. Yeah we're only looking for a basic gaming rig. Something that would make mincemeat of something like TF2, and can still have power to spare for some of the newer games coming out.

And yeah, it's all written in mud. Suggestions of alternatives are awesome. Especially for mobo's. If the Gigabyte is mediocre, any others worth looking at?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    mirage wrote:
    A Phenom II X4 would be my choice too, if you can add $50. If you stay with X3, there is some chance that you could unlock the 4th core. But I would consider buying the aftermarket cooler anyway.

The X3 720 is a nice overclocker. The need for the fourth thread is all going to depend on the workflow.

Talking about coolers

For ease of installation on an AMD platform, its impossible to argue with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 pro, just make sure you get the newer pwm controled model.

The cooler master model you mentioned is a hell of a performer for the price, but I find that its installation hardware is sort of wonky, not sure if I would want to deal with it on my first build.

Don't forget to help Icrontic out by ordering using the newegg affiliate link.
  • HalfricanHalfrican West Lafayette
    edited May 2010
    Mos def I'm gonna help out Icrontic. I'm having too much fun here anyway. I think I'm gonna up to the Phenom II X4, and not completely worry about the heat sink then. The RAM looks good too. Thanks alot so far guys. Now the fun begins of ordering everything and finding a decent monitor. Luckily I have all the other parts I need right now.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I am going to suggest this RAM as an alternative: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220435

I just used it in an X4-955 build with a Gigabyte 790X motherboard and it's a screamer!
    edited May 2010
    No prob dude, it's what we do :D
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    My only suggestion would be to look for a Gigabyte UltraDurable board, instead of the particular one you have listed there. (their model numbers all end in UD and a number). The UltraDurable line is made of awesome and win, I've yet to meet a person that has bought one and regretted it.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    If you are feeling adventurous and want to spend a bit more, go with the DFI 790FX based motherboard. Amazingly fast and great layout. Only problem is that, well, not a n00b board by any means, but using it reminds me a lot of the KT7, KX7 and NF7 boards from Abit.
  • wpeltolawpeltola Indiana
    edited May 2010
    I'd be willing to bet that the price of the 955 x4's have gone down, or will go down very soon due to the release of the x6 chips :) I have a 720 x3 sitting in the pile of stuff to install when I upgrade my HTPC in a few weeks.

I'm a huge fan of Gigabyte boards and you really can't go wrong with the UD3 or UD4 series of AMD boards. If you're not planning to use Crossfire in the near future, this board would be ideal for you IMHO - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128419

As for memory, I've had really good luck with three different companies, Crucial, OCZ and Patriot.
  • HalfricanHalfrican West Lafayette
    edited May 2010
    Thanks alot guys! I ordered my system, should be here by the weekend. Looking forward to using it to hopefully play some games with you guys! Cheers.
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    What are the specs you went for?
  • VicarVicar Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I see you went for the 5770 looks good & happy building.
    edited May 2010
    It's all coming tomorrow (Friday). So we'll be having a fun rig-building day. :D
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Ah... you went for the UltraDurable board. An excellent choice. You won't be disappoint.
    edited May 2010
    Good picks all around, should be a bang-up rig.
    edited May 2010
    Assembling the parts now. Case, mobo, PSU, proc, fans hooked up, and used Arctic Silver thermal paste. Alpha-test a success - booted to BIOS just fine. Next we threw in the HDD and DVD drives and again it booted to the Windos 7 disc fine. Now installing Windows 7.

So far, so good. Full steam ahead.
  • kless001kless001 Midwest-USA Member
    edited May 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    It's all coming tomorrow (Friday). So we'll be having a fun rig-building day. :D

I built my first one in mid March of 2009, and was as happy as you are right now! Oh I wish I could experience that feeling again, when my machine fired up on the first try.