Rally The Front!

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Folding@Home
There has been something really bothering me about the folding numbers the past couple of weeks. No its not Leo throwing zeros because I know that just means he is out of town.

The average production per member has steadily been going up for the past few months which is usually great. We were at about 3k ppd a user with keeping just under 100 active members. Then this past week something horrible happened. Our active user base is down to 75 from in the high 90s. This signals to me a possibility of two things.

1. Stanford cut support of some older clients that people were still running and they don't know about it or just don't care. This is the good reason

2. We had a massive exodus from the team. Which sucks

Our average is up to 3.4ppd which would be nice with 90+ people. With the active users so low is the real reason why our Team production took such a massive nose dive about 10 days ago right after it looked like we were going to be able to push the daily production far enough past 300k that we could keep it there for a few months.

So if you know of anyone that has stopped or has been folding and their user stats that they stopped recently yell at them. If I knew who these people were I would try and get hold of them to start a dialog to see what is going on. Input and information is requested. Work for the team show us why you deserve the :fold: next to your name and get these people back in the game.

Comments

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I just got my folding cranked up, 4 8800GTs, a 9650 quad core, an E7300 dual core (running 6.23), a 4870, and a 4850.

I was surprised to see Leo's zeroes also, but then I remember reading something he wrote about shutting down the PCs if he's going to be gone for more than a day. A lot of points to lose!

We DO need to get more people in here though. I was considering making a F@H episode on my webshow (see signature).

I fold because it may help me (and others, of course) someday, but also to kind of make up for the variety of my own special opinions on a variety of things that I comment on in the Tech section! :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Any chance some of it's coming from the loss of Spike, as well? I know he ran multiple PCs for multiple teams, and those are probably going offline, rest his soul.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Nope his weekly production was under 10k.
    edited April 2010
    It is mostly coming from Enisada. Siv is down about 6k, vid is on a slow decline, and Leo is back up. Also I turned some of my gear back on to help shore up the numbers a little and put the fear of god back into these young upstarts on the team like Tim who think they can simply show up and own a lot of people.

Going to keep my gear up until I pass Scott's dead account, might be long if something comes up like it should.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Not sure about anyone else, but Siv just moved departments at work. As such I'm thinking he might not be able to use some of the internal boxes to fold that he was able to in his old department. That's just a guess though, haven't spoken with him about it as he went to 1st shift and I'm still on 2nds.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2010
    I been out of the loop while at basic and AIT myself. I have had my laptop folding again for a month or so. I'm down to two laptops and my wife's laptop is off most of the day. Every little bit helps though, keep crunching team 93.
    edited April 2010
    I have a lottery ticket for the Mega Millions for tuesday. I was thinking about what I'd do if I won the jackpot. Part of my plans was to buy / rebuild a real nice 1971 'Cuda.

Another plan was to set up enough server racks, K9A2s, and Nvidia 480 GTX video cards to average 1,000,000 PPD or more. And that could be my charitable donation or something.

Now I just have to win tomorrow. No problem! :)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2010
    Best of luck Tim :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    While I was on the road last wast week by lappy quit folding. took me a couple of days to think of reinstalling. Must have been the client expiring.
    It is hard to fold much when you are traveling, nights are all that you get.
    edited April 2010
    I didn't win. Not even ONE number on 5 tickets! :banghead:
    edited May 2010
    Just to necro this a little.

Since I am a folding addict, even when I am not folding, I have been staring at our stats with a hushed lip and crossed fingers. The most important thing is that as a team we have been extremely consistent from day to do in our production, this sends tingles down my spine actually. This shows that most people on the team are spending the time and effort to make sure their folding clients stay up and running!

The other massive thing that has been happening is that almost all of the active members that dropped for a few weeks have re-engaged........talk to me goose.......talk to me goose...../full throttle.."sir maverick is re-engaging." Currently there are 94 active members which is where we were before the big drop in folders. Also the average ppd is looking good at 3,000. Then to top this all off the top 20 producers are all in the 3k+ppd range which hasn't happened in some time.

There are two newbies to the team that are sitting pretty in the top 20 that I would like to give a shout out too. Tushon, aka Natravis, and clifford_cooley. These two guys have jumped on board the folding train with what looks like plenty of fuel to get us further down the line.

Now the point besides just telling you what you can see for yourselves. This is great and it is making me feel good to be a member of this team while trying to steer it in a direction it feels like it needs to go. All I ask of everyone right now is to keep doing what you are doing.

We have a few guys working on building folding rigs/farms. Keep those logs updated so we know whats going because you just might inspire someone to follow your footsteps, plus I like reading them and seeing the pretty pretty pictures. All of ya'll that are folding keep up the great work it makes me excited about the team and community. Don't forget to look for new opportunities to inform people about folding and possibly borg up a machine :wink:
    :fold:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Just added two Q6600 and one E7300 all running SMP2 under my name.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'm putting the money together to add a box rocking dual quad-core Opterons to my production. Given that my Phenom II X4 puts out 4.5k ppd (roughly), I'm hoping that the 8-core box, properly configured, will put out around 7k ppd (clock speed on processors is lower than my Phenom). I won't know for sure though until I get it up and running... who knows how long that might take.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited May 2010
    Thanks _k_ :)

I'm letting you know I heard you shout and shouting back with folding pride. :D
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I just reconfigured my two quad core xeons to use the smp with all the advanced settings. I hope to get a dual quad xeon spinning up for a good burn in. I hope to get my home quad finally spinning all day. So, at least for a while, I could have 5 quads folding. :D
    edited May 2010
    Q did you make sure to stick a passkey on all of your SMP clients, otherwise you won't get those bonus points? You should of already hit the mark of SMP WUs turned in with the passkey attached to get the time bonus.

EDIT: Looks like I spoke to soon.
    edited May 2010
    I DID register for a passkey and entered it on the 2 servers and one desktop. And, YES, it shows in the points already. :D

I will work on the 9800 gx2 this weekend. Need to research how to do 3 cores on smp and then GPU for the 9800 gx2
    edited May 2010
    You can always start a new thread but this is pretty darn simple. If you are using drivers past 182, I think and anything close to current works as well, it takes all the CPU load from folding and offloads it to driver level. This means all 4 cores are free for SMP, otherwise you can usually do this with changing idle preference on cycles. On win7 unless you run two monitors you need to make dummy plugs to extend your desktop or have a powered KVM. It sets up just like a normal dual GPU2 dealio.
    edited May 2010
    QCH, I have to ask. Are you using 5 quad machines?

You should be killing me if you are. I have a Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66 OC'd to 3.2. Using one SMP2 client on this machine gives me a 5K+ PPD at 100% CPU usage. You should be getting 4 times or more PPD than my machine if you are using 5 Quad core machines.
    edited May 2010
    I have 4 computers folding. Two are dual quad Xeons. One is an plan old dual core AMD dual core. The last one is a Core2 Quad 9550 (I think). I finalized their setup on Friday. As of right now I've averaging 18k a day. So, I am smoking you now. ;D
    edited May 2010
    (LMAO) Smoke away. :) I'll try my best to keep breathing. LOL
    edited May 2010
    I'm just giddy to be producing after such a long time of idling. As I use to say "Every point counts" :D