Civilization V Announced

ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Gaming
http://pc.ign.com/articles/107/1070111p1.html

February 18, 2010 - 2K Games just made the day a little brighter with the announcement of a brand new title in the best-selling Civilization series. Sid Meier's Civilization V, currently in development at Firaxis, will feature an "entirely new combat system, deeper diplomatic interactions, and a cavalcade of expanded features that deliver a fully immersive experience providing hours of enteratainment as players build and defend their empire on their quest to become the greatest ruler the world has ever known."

Perhaps most significantly for fans, the series is making the jump to hexagons rather than square tiles to "allow for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay, and stunning organic landscapes." The entire game is being built on an entirely new engine that's being built from the ground up to bring players "closer to the Civ experience than ever." Diplomacy is handled full screen now, with full leader animations and appropriate languages. Players who aren't inclined towards negotiations will find that war feels "more massive" and includes ranged bombardment from behind front lines.

Civilization V will also include an "extensive suite of community, modding and multiplayer elements," and an "in-game community hub where Civ fans can share content and compete against each other."

<!-- start image div -->
civilization-v-announced-20100218060440167-000.jpgHexagons? In Civ?
<!--- end image div -->Firaxis' director of creative development and series' eponym Sid Meier shared his enthusiasm for the new project: "Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenge for our team. Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing." He added, "We're excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series."

Comments

• ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Friggin' sweet..... :bigggrin:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Lets just hope they don't break what made Civ great in the process... Civ 4 with the Total Realism mod was really great.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2010
    Do want. Despite playing on a difficulty setting way too low I always have a lot of fun with the Civ games.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Civilization III and IV are on sale on Steam for those that want something to play until Civ V comes out. The complete Civ IV pack is only $10. I already have the game, but I purchased it on steam so I don't have to worry about CDs any more. Also Civ V will require Steam to play (even if you purchase retail.)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    Also Civ V will require Steam to play (even if you purchase retail.)

Which is excellent. It means that the multi-player matchmaking will be much better.

Also, I would have missed all the swag that usually comes with the collector's edition if I had just purchased it on steam. This way, I get the swag from the box, and the benefit of steam installation.
  • coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited May 2010
    Civ IV complete is £6.25 on Steam, £5 on D2D. I got mine on D2D :D

Bring on Civ V!
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    coldalarm wrote:
    Civ IV complete is £6.25 on Steam, £5 on D2D. I got mine on D2D :D

Bring on Civ V!

Doesn't D2D only allow a certain number of installs?
    edited May 2010
    I have absolutely no idea, but I've no intention of uninstalling them for quite some time.

They claim to have no DRM, so I would assume not.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    pigflipper wrote:
    Doesn't D2D only allow a certain number of installs?

I've reinstalled Neverwinter Nights 2 and its first expansion god knows how many times, and it's a D2D download. I highly recommend the service.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    I've reinstalled Neverwinter Nights 2 and its first expansion god knows how many times, and it's a D2D download. I highly recommend the service.

Same here, I've never run into any issues with reinstalling D2D downloads (mostly NWN2).
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    When I bought Civ3 way back in the day from them, it had a two or three install limit. That was a long long time ago though, so I didn't know what their policy was these days.
    edited May 2010
    D2D only differs now from places like Steam and retail purchases, I think, in that you have to do a code-unlock to run it for the first time. Not sure if anywhere else does that.
    edited May 2010
    CB wrote:
    Which is excellent. It means that the multi-player matchmaking will be much better.

Also, I would have missed all the swag that usually comes with the collector's edition if I had just purchased it on steam. This way, I get the swag from the box, and the benefit of steam installation.

No details if there will be a retail collector's edition have been mentioned so they might not have one, only the digital deluxe edition on Steam.
    edited May 2010
    I'm sure there will be one, but I'm not sure just how "fluffy" it will be. Some CEs are really poor =\
    edited May 2010
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    No details if there will be a retail collector's edition have been mentioned so they might not have one, only the digital deluxe edition on Steam.

But... Then what will go in this hole on my shelf next to the Civ3 collector's tin and the Civ4 pleather book-safe?
    edited May 2010
    I don't know. They very well may come out with a retail collector's edition, but they have yet to release details about it.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Entertaining is the reactions to Civ V needing Steam.

Here: Yay, better matchmaking!

Civ fan-forums: NOOOOOOOO HOW COULD YOU SID (then insert lots of 5 year old arguments about why STEAM R BAD)
    edited May 2010
    A community's knee-jerk reaction to change is almost always negative, unless it's a feature they've been asking for (and even then, you can get some vocal minorities).