Why id Software's RAGE is going to suck

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    In FEAR you really aren't the bad guy you are just his brother.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Speaking as someone who doesn't really know much about engines but knows that Doom and Quake's were popular choices, do you expect this to be the next engine of choice for future games (and therefore prohibiting power and eyecandy advances)?

Or is that more a function of cheap licensing, using something that's easier to port to pc, etc.?
  • PP
    edited May 2010
    xbox360 version is gonna out shine the out dated pc any given day,u pc nerds need to realise pc gaming is over Alan Wake looks like DX12 game and u lot are stuck with DX11 talk about last gen.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    PP I hope you're joking.... PC games to this date outshine consoles any day. Look at BFBC2 for instant... Full DX11 and eye candy on PC outpaces the consoles any day. The power of the PC is still top dog for quality.

This statement is coming from a PC, Xbox360, PS3 & Wii owner. Along with a person who has worked in the gaming industry.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    PP. PLEASE! WRITE FOR ICRONTIC! We need exclusive details on what DirectX 12 looks like, and what it is capable of. This is the story of the century.

NiGHTS - It's really a tossup. Obviously, the Quake 2 engine was one of id's works that gained a massive amount of traction in other games, but then Tech 4 (Doom 3) was used in very few games. Tech 2 engine scaled phenomenally and was easily extensible, Tech 4 was everything but. Hopefully, id sets Tech 5 up to be an engine that can go the distance.

My sarcasm in this piece aside, I think that id Tech 5 has massive potential as a graphics engine.
  • edited May 2010
    "xbox360 version is gonna out shine the out dated pc any given day,u pc nerds need to realise pc gaming is over Alan Wake looks like DX12 game and u lot are stuck with DX11 talk about last gen."
    -PP

Um..really? are you that naive? PC will always have stronger capability as far as graphics. I have all the consoles. They are what I game on admittedly. It's just what I like, but the technology in consoles is static as far as hardware once it is launched. At that point what developers can do is limited to that hardware. PC is no different other than the fact that the technology that can be purchased specifically for gaming (processors, graphics cards, physics cards, sound cards, etc) has moved beyond the consoles providing developers with more possibilities and opportunities for any means of development. Crysis 2 is a perfect example. Compare the graphical effects incorporated for the PC version to the consoles.
  • edited May 2010
    PS. UPSLynx. 4E!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    GUYS.

DIRECTX 12.

OMFG.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    RAGE. Rage will keep them in line. RAGE of this battle station...
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    The more tightly you RAGE the more RAGE will slip through your fingers...
  • edited May 2010
    I'm currently working with Internet Explorer 14. You guys are last gen.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    PP wrote:
    xbox360 version is gonna out shine the out dated pc any given day,u pc nerds need to realise pc gaming is over Alan Wake looks like DX12 game and u lot are stuck with DX11 talk about last gen.

I'm trying so hard to ignore your absolutely atrocious spelling, grammar, and complete disregard for punctuation so I can focus on the ignorance of the meaning behind your comment. So very hard, but I can't because it hurts too much. Plz lern 2 spell and than may be ppl will cunsidurr takin u srsly pp.

Anyway, people still make console games? People still PLAY console games?! This is news to me. I guess it just has to be accepted that games developed for multiple systems will always be limited by the least powerful of them.

The post-apocalyptic thing may be stale but somehow that isn't hurting it's appeal in games, movies, or anything to be honest. Like it or not it isn't going anywhere so long as it keeps making money.

Amnesia has been a recurring and somewhat silly plot device in everything for close to 100 years so seeing this in RAGE is :rolleyes:. When was amnesia used in Dragon Age: Origins though? I played through it twice and don't remember it. OH SHI! Maybe I have amnesia!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Enjoy your inferior pixel density there PP.

That's all I'm going to say about the obvious (though possibly unintentional) troll in the room.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    John Carmack was pretty much in the same position that George Lucas was in when he released the Star Wars Prequels.

Die hard fans of Star Wars were going to be let down because of impossible expectations. Die hard fans hated The Phantom Menace, but the more causal fans, and the eight year old boys in the audience thought it was one of the finest films they had ever seen. Fact is, its an entertaining film, but its just not The Empire Strikes Back.

Look at John Carmack. First Person action gamers worship the man. Wolfenstein 3D and Doom were instantly innovative, nothing like it had come before. He more or less invented our favorite genre. Frankly, if not for Quake II, I'm not sure I would have ever gotten into PC gaming. Return to Castle Wolfenstein showed people that team based multiplayer could have depth and still be fun as hell, and the flame thrower in that game, the graphics at the time, it was just jaw dropping.

So, what happened? Doom 3, and Quake 4, both good games, solid titles, fun, and honestly, they look pretty damn good, but there is not one single innovative thing about them. In the case of Doom 3, Half Life 2 came out nearly the same time, and most gamers agreed, Half Life 2 innovated a genre that was starting to feel stale.

So id and John Carmack could make a great title, but unless its astounding, unless its the next stop forward, unless its truly innovative, everyone will be disappointed because thats what we came to expect from them early on. I hope they do it because I have always been a fan.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Couldn't have said it better myself, Cliff. Maybe we were just more easily impressed back then because the genre was so new, it didn't require massive innovation. id developed the run and gun FPS, and that is still just about the only thing they do with their FPS games. Today, that formula is so tired in itself, maybe that is why we stopped caring as much.
    greyfox25 wrote:
    PS. UPSLynx. 4E!

haha! I see what you did there.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2010
    I agree with most of the reasons you stated as to why RAGE is going to suck. While I wouldn't personally say suck I would replace suck with 'forgettable'. It'll be a case of OH it's like Fallout only with XYZ or it's kinda like Borderlands but does ABC.

The fact is that while graphics may grab the eye gameplay is still king and when it comes to post apocalyptic settings you can't get better then Fallout 3 or Borderlands. They are two nearly perfect games in their own areas. They have some crossovers but they are different enough that they offer up a different experience. Fallout 3 could certainly benefit from better graphics, which isn't to say that it's bad, but since they opted for a more realistic approach it could always strive for better.

Borderlands on the other hand took a cell shaded approach, which is a love it/hate it affair for some people. Personally I love cell shaded because it gives the creators more liberties then when they go for a realistic look and the technical benefits are there as well when it comes to performance.

So Rage may be impressive in some technical aspects but unless it's better overall then Fallout 3 or Borderlands then it will be forgotten, because it'll be relegated to the distinction of Yet Another....
  • edited May 2010
    author just sounds like a dick.. not one of those points makes any sense or backs up shit..
    edited May 2010
    Except for the graphical concerns and narrative criticisms, both of which can be objectively considered, you're totally right.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Smith wrote:
    author just sounds like a dick.. not one of those points makes any sense or backs up shit..

your post just sounds like a dick post.. not one of your points makes any sense or backs up shit..
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Smith wrote:
    Smith wrote:
    Smith wrote:
    Smith wrote:
    Smith wrote:
    Sorry: your post could not be taken seriously due to a self referencing error

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    ^ rofl
  • edited May 2010
    I thought the pictures looked fine and maybe the reason the game is due out next year is they still have work to do on the engine? Complaining about ID not getting the job done when they tell you themselves the job is done is really stupid. I say wait and see then critique all you want.
  • JC
    edited May 2010
    Rage is just a PoC game to showcase the capabilities of the engine.
    This has always been the strategy of ID Software, and I dont expect it to change. Critiquing the game under a microscope is useless, and pretty futile. Also, not much info has been released regarding the engine, and I believe you are assuming a good amount of your points.
    I'd like you to rewrite this review in a year, and from a strictly engine point of view, instead of a game review.
  • edited May 2010
    you idiot, ur site sucks. remember these guys invent FPS and the tech director of ID do rocket science! stop posting such shit when you don't have anything to prove....
  • edited May 2010
    PP you have no idea do you. I play mainly on console's esp PS3 but thats cuz im lazy and like the simplicity of them but growing up with computer's since the commodore 64 from a young age i have to say your a twat. have fun xbot
    edited May 2010
    Can someone remind me again why we let guests post?
  • edited May 2010
    farking trash site!
    game is not even out yet or we don't even know that much details on the game:/
    edited May 2010
    kryyst wrote:
    Can someone remind me again why we let guests post?

Because the 'tards make us money. It's delicious.
    edited May 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Because the 'tards make us money. It's delicious.

That is a good reason.
  • edited May 2010
    SNAAAAAKE FEEL THE RAAGE AARGGH