What anti malware program is everybody using nowadays?

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited May 2010 in Science & Tech
I've made do with AVG free and the Windows firewall (Vista basic) on my laptop for some years. I thought I was fine, but last weekend I took the laptop out of town, and connected to the web in a hotel and at a friends place. To make a long story short, I caught something surprisingly nasty - now cleaned up - and think I might need something a little better to prevent this from happening again. Any advice?

Frank

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I've been rock solid on all of my Windows installs with Microsoft Security Essentials + UAC on, myself.
  • clifford_cooleyclifford_cooley Arkansas, USA Member
    edited May 2010
    Watch my Internet habits, UAC tuned off, installed MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). Heck right now I have MSE turned off as well.

Lets just say I have all my data on a different drive. I have a system backup image. If by some chance I slip with my Internet habits, ten minutes restoring the backup image and I am back in business. There is no need for me to bottleneck my system with a load of AV's 24/7. When the time comes, I can fix it in 10 minutes.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Malwarebytes has solved any issue for me on client machines.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2010
    Microsoft Security Essentials installed on all my computers and every friend/family/co-worker that I have to help out. No complaints yet.
  • JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited May 2010
    Been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a while now. It's been sufficient to date.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    AntiVir + Ad-Aware

Malwarebytes has helped the 2-3 times something shitty got through.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I'll have to check out MSE. Wasn't really aware MS was offering a free virus solution. Very interesting.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited May 2010
    Check out here
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

Last time I looked Avira had the highest detection rate but lost marks for false detections. I use it mainly because it scores well and I prefer the interface to Avast.

AVG has become quite bloated over recent years and will impact performance. I use Online Armour free firewall and I also have Malware Bytes Installed (although it has no active components).

I haven't looked at MSE so wont comment on its performance or security