IC12 wont run stock speeds

FilmFilm Florida
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
IC12 has a 1.33tbird at 1.0 :-/ it wont run at 1.33 to save its life.

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    OK this needs fixed.

Is it PC100?? I have some PC133 if needed.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    well theres a stick of pc133 and a stick of pc100 in it....

anyways, there is a jumper on the board that says 100MHZ/133MHZ, for the FSB obviously... but no matter what position it is in, it is running 100fsb. So i go in the bios and set 133FSB, and it will no longer boot. :-/
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Remove the stick of PC100.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    i did, makes no difference.
    edited June 2003
    Jumper switch too with the PC100 out?

Relax everything else. Mem timing that is.
    edited June 2003
    http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/mainboard/az11.htm
    Finally, within the "Chipset Features Setup" menu, there exists an option permitting the memory bus to be set to a frequency 33MHz higher or lower than that of the FSB.

Have you tried that?

It should support it.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said
    Jumper switch too with the PC100 out?

Relax everything else. Mem timing that is.

yeah tried all that to no avail...
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin said
    http://www.active-hardware.com/english/reviews/mainboard/az11.htm

Finally, within the "Chipset Features Setup" menu, there exists an option permitting the memory bus to be set to a frequency 33MHz higher or lower than that of the FSB.

Have you tried that?

It should support it.

let me see what that does... :)

nothing. still no boot
    edited June 2003
    Anyone else have any ideas or experience with this board?
  • edited June 2003
    What is the mobo you are using on IC12, I can't remember? And the team site isn't up yet so that I can see how the rig is configured either.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    muddocktor said
    What is the mobo you are using on IC12, I can't remember? And the team site isn't up yet so that I can see how the rig is configured either.

FIC AZ11 if i recall correctly.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    jdii1215 said
    Film-- If you live anywheres near Fort Myers, do you want some hands-on help?? I am about .5 hours driving time north of Fort Mudge.

Also, the memory bus need not be the same as the CPU base on the KT133. But, if RAM is not stable the BIOS can in fact run the CPU base at RAM base for slowest DIMM in the board.

No im pretty far from there, but regardless i dont think i need help... im fairly experienced in this sort of stuff.... it is just simply refusing to run this chip. i admit it could be a dumb mistake, but i highly doubt it at this point in time after all the crap ive gone through trying to make it work. :-/

only thing i havent tried that i have thought of is the "Magic_Tuner" jumper, which i believe is a on/off setting for being able to change the voltage. so in that, im thinking that maybe the board isnt being given the correct stock voltage for a 1.33tbird, and the jumper could be on the wrong setting (i cant find a printed table on the board saying which setting is on/off).... so i was thinking maybe if its in the off position then it might need to be switched to be run with the fsb jumper set to 133. i plan on trying this soon, but right now i dont feel like messing with it because its been a pain in my side and with it running it puts me at ease lol :P
  • edited June 2003
    OK Film, I remember it now. That's the board that Mackanz had contributed to the cause. That's an original KT133 board, which won't run a 133 fsb(stupid Via crap!:mad: ) What you are going to have to do is mod the bridges on that proc from a 10 multi to a 12.5 multi and then overclock the fsb a bit. That board should be good for around a 112 fsb at least, so we have the potential of a possible overclock to 1400 MHz fairly easily. I'm presently searching THG for the multi list for Tbirds to see what bridges to blow/connect to get a 12.5 multi on it. I don't know what the bridges are for a 13 or 14 though, but THG has a pic showing the bridges for up to 12.5. The AZ11 doesn't have any way to adjust the multi's on the board; it will have to be done on the proc itself, but is doable. If you feel comfortable with hard coding a new multi on that board let me know and I'll help you out on blowing the bridges that need to be disconnected.

Damn Via, when they released the original KT133 chipset, fixed it to where this chipset wouldn't be able to run past around 115 fsb max. It took the revised KT133A chipset to be able to run 133 and beyond.:banghead: It makes your job harder to get that 133 fsb Tbird up to speed but it can be done. If that board was the AZ11E, then you would have a dipswitch block on it that would let you choose a 12.5 multi after unlocking the proc too, but the original AZ11 didn't have the dipswitch block. I'm attaching a pic of all the multi's I scarfed from THG, in case you want to hard code the new multi.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    okay im angry again now, i went back to fiddle with it trying what you have given me... yeah it still doesnt want to work. this is ****ing rediculous, it just wont run 133 and i dont know why.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    muddocktor said
    OK Film, I remember it now. That's the board that Mackanz had contributed to the cause. That's an original KT133 board, which won't run a 133 fsb(stupid Via crap!:mad: )

i knew it! god damn this board was pissing me off so bad, and yeah i would try fsb incraments and it would definately die about 115 fsb! oh man thank you mud, i feel a little better!
    edited June 2003
    Man I was hoping it wasnt just the AZ11 but rather and A or AE version. Guess its not then.

I well leave it up to mudd then on this one.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    man, how the hell do i cut these bridges, knife no workie with this hard ass ceramic....
    edited June 2003
    Well I know what mudd will say...blow 'em. He has done it before.

Connect the bridges with a 5V line and no more bridge.

Ask for more details tho.
  • edited June 2003
    You got it mm!:D That's exactly what I was going to say.

I've modded bridges on a Spitfire Duron but cutting the bridges with an engraver, but it was real hard to do. I've never blown a bridge on a Tbird or Duron yet, but let me try it out as I have an old 600 Duron in a drawer here and see how it goes before you try that on the Tbird.
  • edited June 2003
    OK, I tried the bridge blowing trick on the Duron and it worked just like on a Tbred, the bridge blew right away when I put the +5v rail and ground across the bridge. Just be sure which bridges you will need to blow. That proc has a 10 multiplier and you need to mod to a 12.5 multi.

You will need to blow the left-most L6 bridge and connect the 2 right side L6 bridges.

You will need to blow the left-most L3 bridge and connect the second L3 bridge.

You will need to blow the second and fourth L4 bridges and connect the first and third L4 bridge.

This should give a 12.5 multi, which is the highest multi I know how to set on a Tbird. I'm not sure but I think they did something internally on the Tbird 1.3/100 and 1.4/100 procs to get the 13 and 14 multi, but I haven't ever seen one of those critters so I don't know for sure.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    and...how is it blown?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You put a 5V wire from the PSU on one end, and a ground wire on the other.

Kaboom!
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    and the 5v wire is? and how do i power the psu without it ona computer?