Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Pssh... that's because Foxconn is a cutrate, bargain basement tech manufacturer (in my experience). There's companies like that in every field.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    If they'll pay 100k yuan to families of suicide victims, it's sadly not really surprising that this is happening. There's a lot of honor in the Eastern world - sacrificing yourself to better your family's conditions is an appealing option to many, especially for that price.

That said, they pay better than people around them, include bonuses and OT pay; it doesn't really sound like they're doing anything wrong. From the outside, not having visited or seen conditions, etc, I'd posit that the only reason they're seeing higher-than-normal suicide rates is because of that option above.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    Pssh... that's because Foxconn is a cutrate, bargain basement tech manufacturer (in my experience). There's companies like that in every field.

A cutrate manufacturer that assembles iPods, iPhones, CPU sockets for almost every motherboard in the world, iPads, Motorola phones and so on.

They're one of the biggest ODMs in the world.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    While it is terrible, the suicide rate at foxconn is lower than china's national average.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited May 2010
    Well if I had to wear that awful outfit to work every day...
  • JingallsJingalls Eugene, OR
    edited May 2010
    I had read earlier exactly what shwaip had said. Foxconn is quite possibly preventing suicides in China. If moving the workers closer to home prevents even more, then that's quite a good thing.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2010
    That's not the cost of our tech addiction that's the cost of corporate greed. Nothing new to see here.