Five reasons why you don't actually need a Mac

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Mac OS X that's what we pay for, no screwing around with norton and anti this and anti that, this is why there more expensive because were paying for the operating system, and others shouldn't be commenting on this if they havnt touched a mac. And the hard ware price comparisons are not much more, u might see a mac more then a pc bcus it has better hardware in it, the only thing overpriced at apple Is there memory. Just to shut you guys up go watch apple soldier on YouTube he will tell u what's what.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    JP wrote:
    Thirdly the display is way better calibrated than those PC displays, that's why most designers that use adobe applications such as photoshop prefers to work on a mac..

Any designer/editor/photographer/etc worth hiring is going to calibrate their monitor before using it for production work, regardless of the underlying os.

Also, there are very few manufacturers of the panels that go into LCD displays. Apple does not manufacture their own. Any display manufacturer can obtain the exact same panel as Apple can.

A comparably-priced display from another maker is very likely going to hold the exact same display components as the Apple display.
  • PetraPetra Palmdale, CA USA
    edited May 2010
    Raekwon wrote:
    Just to shut you guys up go watch apple soldier on YouTube he will tell u what's what.
    You just shot yourself in the foot. From what I watched, he doesn't know enough about both sides of what he argues to take seriously.

*edit* JP, DeGruven is right... any graphic artist that's serious about what they do has and uses monitor calibration hardware (especially if they're doing anything for print)--PC running the Mac OS or Windows, it doesn't matter. Now, when it comes to color handling on the OS level, there are some differences between the Mac OS and Windows and, in the earlier days, that's where a fair amount of the "designers prefer the Mac OS" stuff came from as I recall.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    And now, both PC and Mac use the same Adobe color profiles.
    edited May 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    And now, both PC and Mac use the same Adobe color profiles.
    ;D

...sorry, that just made me think of the true meaning of sRGB
  • digitalvisiondigitalvision Detroit, Michigan
    edited May 2010
    I'm a mac guy. For a few reasons.

1) I run a business. I can tell you unequivocally that I spend significantly less on 3rd party support than before, much outstripping the additional cost. I don't have time for down time and the only critical issue I've had is a hard drive dying (which happens on every platform) and is super-easy to swap out.

2) Any smart mac user buys refurbs. Same stuff, lower price, same warranty. Usually it's stuff that got returned they can't sell as new. That can help.

3) I think pretty much everything Apple makes is business-class. There is a difference between consumer grade and business class machines. I regularly get 5 or 6 years of service out of mac hardware. With processor upgrades, I have a DA533 from 2001 next to me working as a server and occasional audio workstation.

4) It just works. With Windows 7 this gap has been narrowed; but I plug any peripheral in and it just goes. If it's USB or Firewire, it works out of the box.

I personally think where it's outrageous in price difference is NOT the laptops, but the desktops. That's the real joke and they need to bring that in line at some point. I love macs, but the desktop stations are horridly overpriced. But the laptops? Totally worth it, in my opinion.

And it's true - in many ways, it's the operating system, not the hardware that brings the value. THAT is the thing that sets it apart most of all. I'm sure if I were an avid gamer I would have a different perspective, but with Steam coming to the mac, I think that helps that situation greatly. But, and I hate to say it, but I don't have time to play videogames anymore. My computer is a tool to get work done, and my macs work beautifully as that tool.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    4) It just works. With Windows 7 this gap has been narrowed; but I plug any peripheral in and it just goes. If it's USB or Firewire, it works out of the box.

Note: Mac user since 1994, PC user since 1995

I've stayed out of this, as both a Mac and Windows user and fan, but this finally got me sucked in.

I take exception to this "just works" bit. Hardware that is certified to work with Macs does usually "just work" but the bulk of off-the-shelf peripherals and hardware often have problems working with Macs, and it's mostly because of shitty driver support. Printers "just work" with PC, and have since the 90s. I have had more trouble getting printers and scanners to work with Macs than I have with Windows in 8 years as an IT consultant for print shops.

Overall, I'd assert that you cannot find a hardware manufacturer that doesn't at least have decent support for Windows, but you can find plenty that have NO support for Mac OS at all.

.. One more thing:

When it DOESN'T "just work", getting it to work is usually far more of a nightmare on Mac than it is on Windows.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    see, I've had problems getting printers "to work" on windows UNTIL Windows 7.

Scanners can go suck tree bark though
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Note: Mac user since 1994, PC user since 1995

I have had more trouble getting printers and scanners to work with Macs than I have with Windows in 8 years as an IT consultant for print shops.

That ran you through System 7 and 8....
    You were lucky to get any "off the shelf peripherals" working back then...

:D
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Fautsch wrote:
    This article is for sheep. I pity you mortals!!

If using a Mac grants me immortality I'll buy one...maybe two.
    Raekwon wrote:
    Mac OS X that's what we pay for, no screwing around with norton and anti this and anti that, this is why there more expensive because were paying for the operating system, and others shouldn't be commenting on this if they havnt touched a mac. And the hard ware price comparisons are not much more, u might see a mac more then a pc bcus it has better hardware in it, the only thing overpriced at apple Is there memory. Just to shut you guys up go watch apple soldier on YouTube he will tell u what's what.

Okay so,
    1. Paying a couple hundred dollars more just so you don't have to spend five minutes installing an anti-virus program.
    2. I haven't touched a Mac. I'll comment anyway. I mean not that I don't WANT to touch a Mac, especially since they apparently provide super human longevity but I'm pretty sure the age difference might get me thrown in jail.
    3. Nice grammar.
    4. Fantastic spelling.
    5. Apple Soldier needs more quick launch buttons.
  • M46h1n3M46h1n3 Member
    edited May 2010
    HOLY SHIT SO MANY COMMENTS! Someone should check out my paper on why pcs are superior to macs lol

Also, lolololmacslololol
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    I personally think where it's outrageous in price difference is NOT the laptops, but the desktops. That's the real joke and they need to bring that in line at some point. I love macs, but the desktop stations are horridly overpriced.

Thank you for pointing that out. When I moved overseas, I got so distressed trying to find a place like Newegg where I could one-stop shop for all my parts I actually contemplated buying a Mac, since there was a store down the street.

I compared what I wanted to build with a comparable Mac, and I couldn't even get comparable parts on a Mac Pro - but it would have cost me twice as much. It's laughable.
  • spin498spin498 mississauga ON New
    edited May 2010
    No. 1 reason for owning a PC. Mint 9, oh I love that minty freshness.

I love this, ' I had a crappy PC 14 yrs. ago so.....' Times have changed. When I started in my career we used 2 way radios with crystals. Try and find one now.

I buy refurbished name brand PC's. with the money saved I then go and buy neat upgrades you can't get for MAC.

No. 2 reason for PC (for me) I like to get under the hood and tinker. Can't do that with a MAC. Eventually I will have a Hackintosh up and running and find out for myself how good OSX is.

I haven't suffered, BSOD's, bugs, or peripheral issues since Win98. Virus's I get from kids on P2P networks and I pretty much brought that to a halt.

No. 3 reason to own a PC. I'm into photography and would rather spend my money on lenses etc.
    I've managed to get some of my stuff published and sold without ever resorting to using a MAC, Apture or any of the other 'elitist' software. PaintShopPro works just fine thank you. I will say, that the 27 " iMac is a gorgeous platform for showing off photos, but for $500 I can get a 28 " LCD hooked to my PC that's just as nice.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Canti wrote:
    How much lol does it take to do it legally?

You can legally go in to a store, buy OSX and install in a compatible PC (usually laptops) or you can use the countless number of ways that violate the EULA (which still doesn't make it illegal).
    edited May 2010
    Installing it in any non-Apple-branded computer also violates the EULA - doesn't matter if you bought it legally.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Only means Apple doesn't have to support your installation.
    edited May 2010
    If only that's all it meant... Psystar would still be in business.
  • edited June 2010
    To the person that said they want a Mac for the aluminum body... You have been fleeced, sir. Have you ever stopped to think about what an aluminum body means? Have you ever picked up a Mac Book and then picked up a Thinkpad T400s? The Mac is WAY heavier, thanks to its aluminum body. Also, you can bend a Mac with your bare hands. I've done it. A Thinkpad, on the other hand, is practically bullet proof. They did a good job of marketing, they sure did. "It's aluminum!" Wow. Just like a can of soda...
  • Zeb
    edited June 2010
    The first two points aren't looking at the bigger picture.

1. PCs are more reliable
    Mac-A may break a year before PC-A but I bet you'd see the situation differently when Apple takes care of your Mac-A free of charge but you've got to fix your PC-A with your own time/money. So Macs may break more, but Apple takes care of you more.

2. Identical hardware
    This article also ignores that since Apple can design their OS around their hardware, Macs run faster than a Windows machine with the same tech specs.

This isn't a very well rounded or thought out article in my opinion, but I guess since a sister article is coming I shouldn't judge it quite yet.
  • ike
    edited June 2010
    it's 3 am and i can hardly believe I scrolled through all this bs. I feel like I've been riding the "it's a small world" ride for 5 hours. never again. get lives people.
  • edited June 2010
    I haz mac, I not understand 2 buttons at once
  • coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited June 2010
    I think Macs have their use, and PCs have their use. For the vast majority of the computer using public, Windows-based PCs are the best option. Microsoft Office is often the industry standard, as are a lot of programmes that have Windows versions. Many training courses are Windows-only, or at least have a heavy emphasis on Windows - The ECDL and Key Skills IT courses in the UK are great examples.

The Mac is "more secure" in that its OS might be more secure, but it doesn't mean one should ignore anti-virus programmes as the Mac could be a carrier - Just because you're not infected, it doesn't mean you're clean. It's also a smaller target in that Windows has the majority of the user base, so if hackers want something, they'll generally aim at what yields the biggest return for their investment. I guess that the limited hardware options also factor into it, but I'm not too sure.

But the point is, for most people, a Mac is a waste of money. For what it is, they can often be quite expensive and have limited use. Go into a game store or a retailer like PC World, and there'll be very little for Macs. Hell, browse Amazon and you'll find much less software for the Mac. Yeah, some companies are branching out (Valve, for example), but until Apple really sort themselves out it's a no-go for some people.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I remember Primesuspect waiting for weeks for his Mac to be fixed BY APPLE. And a Dell or HP with 3 year warranty is just as good as a 3 year Apple Care.
    edited June 2010
    QCH wrote:
    I remember Primesuspect waiting for weeks for his Mac to be fixed BY APPLE. And a Dell or HP with 3 year warranty is just as good as a 3 year Apple Care.
    Whether it's a PC built by Apple or a PC built by Dell, just fix it yourself--extended warranties are for suckers.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Petra wrote:
    Whether it's a PC built by Apple or a PC built by Dell, just fix it yourself--extended warranties are for suckers.

QFT - particularly in the Intel Mac era.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Trying to ensure we're judging Apples to apples. Warranties CAN be worth it depending on the environment and situation. For my home PC that I built, no. PC I bought for $500, no. For my $1,800 personal laptop, yes. Why? For an extra $150 I was protected for 3 years. I knew that I would not be able to afford another $1,800 laptop anytime soon so I need to have the protection and $150 is was not that big of a deal.

Now... change gears to the corporate world. Warranties are a MUST. Most places require a 3 year minimum warranty on all desktops/laptops. Servers? 4 or even 5 years is a must and probably a 24 hour response time if not 4 hour.

Staying with the corporate world theme... We have Apples, Windows, and Linux systems. Probably a 5% Mac, 45% Win, 50% Linux mix. Windows systems are the best for warranties. We but Dell and, to a lesser degree, HPs. The support on them is AWESOME. We can have a replacement part the next day in most cases. We have a ton of folks that can diagnose the faulty device and BOOM, the part is on the way. Apple not so good. It can take weeks to get systems fixed. Now Linux systems, we get some Dells and some Mom-Pop company. They are not bad to get response since the Dells are the same hardware as the Win systems. The Mom-Pop company is local so they come right in the next day with a crap load of parts and they usually leave that day with the problem fixed.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Zeb wrote:
    The first two points aren't looking at the bigger picture.

1. PCs are more reliable
    Mac-A may break a year before PC-A but I bet you'd see the situation differently when Apple takes care of your Mac-A free of charge but you've got to fix your PC-A with your own time/money. So Macs may break more, but Apple takes care of you more.

2. Identical hardware
    This article also ignores that since Apple can design their OS around their hardware, Macs run faster than a Windows machine with the same tech specs.

This isn't a very well rounded or thought out article in my opinion, but I guess since a sister article is coming I shouldn't judge it quite yet.

This is also BS. I've had two terrible experiences with Applecare. When my PC breaks, I can get a replacement part cheaply (often locally) and get back up and running quickly. When my mac broke (two occasions) I had to wait WEEKS for replacement parts—after Apple grilled me on the phone for an hour to make sure I didn't break anything.

Looking back to 2005 when I had one of my issues, I said:
    Dammit. Apple should just be a software company. OS X is so much better than WinXP. This crap really burns me up.

I still hold to that. I've had terrible Apple hardware experiences.
  • pjp
    edited June 2010
    We call this article link-bait, folks. You do understand that these articles attract readers like flies on dung, right?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    pjp wrote:
    We call this article link-bait, folks. You do understand that these articles attract readers like flies on dung, right?

ur a fly
  • edited June 2010
    I have a new Macbook, Mac Mini, iPad, and an iPhone. I use Macs and PCs every day. When I am home I use my 315 dollar Win7 laptop. Why? The Macbook burns my legs, aluminum is a very poor design choice.

Here are a few serious flaws in OSX

1. Menu bar. On multiple monitors I am going across screens to get to my file menu??? WTF
    2. Font Rendering. Microsoft uses clear type (sub pixel rendering) looks way more clear for reading. Only a raging Apple fanboy would say otherwise.
    3. Flash. Flash runs twice as fast on the PC.
    4. Win 7 Dock. So much more intuitive. I know they stole the idea but it makes so much more sense on Windows.

Here are areas it beats Win7
    1. Still a target for Viruses (although I haven't gotten a Virus in many years)
    2. Application installs are way more intuitive on OSX.
    3. Pre-installed software is better. (Except Media Center) Microsoft does have a lot of compelling free software but you have to download it.