Miniscule numbers

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Folding@Home
So I'm throwing F@H on my roommates computers and I'm curious if these terrible numbers are normal.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cn3z2zfg2et/FAHlog.txt

The log from his computer. I don't see anything out of the ordinary, as I was the one interrupting those WUs on purpose. His machine has Win7 on a 2.21GHz single core AMD Athlon 64 proc, 2 gigs of ram, a 7800GT vid card (I think, and if I recall, it is not capable of folding). Tips?

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    It is on a single core proc, all of their numbers are horrible for ppd. It looked like it could a WU run well enough, WUs processed in a day would be 1.309 given an interval of 11 minutes.

Tips: New proc or grab a cheap active cooled GPU and throw it in for about 1000ppd.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I'm tempted to buy a new proc, but I should probably just buy a new proc for my server instead (and get folding working again on it ... since it stopped after I upgraded from 9.10 -> 10.04) and perhaps get a GPU for it. I think he "paid" me for that board/proc, so it would be against my financial interest to invent money into it.
    edited June 2010
    Well you could do that. Frys has an add for a Athlon II x4 630 and Biostar TA760GM2+ V6. 90$ - 10$(mail in rebate) = 80$. It has onboard so you would be up and running. The board is kind of junky but you just need it to take a load and run.

The only other thing I can think of for your roommates computer is to make a virtual PC and load linux and set it up to fold in the virtual just to see if you get better numbers. Just look at the windows CPU load when the virtual machine boots and folds to see if the computer is still usable that way.
    edited June 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    still usable that way.

Doubtful. I already don't like working on it.

Thanks for the advice about parts. I'll see if I can't upgrade something over the next month or so.

Edit: apparently my server's mobo isnt bad, just the proc that came with the bundle.

GA-MA785GM-US2H <-- supports up to AMD Phenomâ„¢II X6 processors so if I can justify the cost for e-peen boosting, then I'll snag something decent for it. That + a couple of cards and a new PSU will make me a decent little folder.
    edited June 2010
    Just to give a quick benchmark. On a single core CPU client i am doing 363.6PPD at 3.7GHz on a 126 credit WU.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    My Phenom 9650 @ stock 2.3 Ghz quad core folds @ 3000 PPD.

I can't imagine even trying to fold on a single core CPU anymore.
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I'm going to just upgrade my server and probably grab a video card at some point, but none of that will happen till at least next year due to finances