Google Syntax

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Internet & Media
This has been bugging me for some time and I'm sure there's some way to do it but I'm not sure how.

Basically I want to google for:

webfusion com.org

So I have 2 search terms, 'webfusion' and 'com.org' but Google seems to completely ignore "com.org" from my search string. No amount of " ' or + have any effect on the search, it searches for 'com' and 'org' separately. Can someone please enlighten me?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I don't understand the com.org part. Do you want to search for Webfusion either a .com or .org site?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    webfusion "com.org"

The above search does not ignore the com.org. It brings up results that mention webfusion and also have a list of .com, .org, .net... ect

-Bobby
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I don't understand the com.org part. Do you want to search for Webfusion either a .com or .org site?

Neither.
    Bobby1211 wrote:
    webfusion "com.org"

The above search does not ignore the com.org. It brings up results that mention webfusion and also have a list of .com, .org, .net... ect

-Bobby

That's also not what I'm trying to do. I don't want it to give me a list of pages that mention '.com, .org, .net... ect'. I want it to search for exactly what I'm typing (else I would have typed .com .org, not com.org). I need to search for 'webfusion' and 'com.org' those two exact phrases.

So I DONT want to find:

"I'm using webfusion to host my .com site and a few .org domains and I like to each cheese..."

I DO want to find:

"I'm hosting a few websites and some keep redirecting to a com.org domain and I appear to be hosted with Webfusion".

Does that make sense now?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Google ignores punctuation, so if com is near org, that's what you'll get. Unfortunately the exact com.org term will not show up. Even if you try link:com.org, only 1 result comes up.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Enverex wrote:
    That's also not what I'm trying to do.

You've yet to explain what you are trying to do other then search for an exact term containing punctuation. Google will not allow this. The use of quotes as in my suggestion is the best you are going to get. It will at least get you results with "com*net" [*=combo of punctuation and spaces]. Those results WILL include the results you are looking for. Might just take looking through the ~1,600 results to find whatever it is you are looking for. In the scope of the millions (billions?) of pages on the internet, That's not that bad.

-Bobby