A hair-brained idea inspired by our last Scotch adventure

pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
edited June 2010 in Food & Drink
So during the last major event (St. Patties I believe?), Lynx and I discussed how awesome it would be to drink a single malt Scotch that had been distilled longer than we were old. This is a pretty tall order and a dream that becomes exponentially more expensive with time (and approaches impossible past the 30yr barrier).

Come EPIC, I will be laying down $100 of my own cash to get this ridiculously expensive adventure started. All those who would like to pitch in are welcome, ideally we can find a way to split the remainder of the cost somewhat evenly among participants.

So, who wants to join me in being able to say that they've drank a Scotch that has been distilled longer than they've been alive!

Comments

• pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Also, to follow up on this, I'd love to hear some people's thoughts on what the purchase should be... any favorite distilleries out there for something in this age range (25+)?

Personally, I'll be looking around for something in the more oaky/woody spectrum as I tend to prefer it to the heavy peat flavored Scotches.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    *preps the morning after supplies*
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Damn it! Now I'm really pissed I can't go this year!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I will be 27 as of Expo. :ninja:
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Damn it! Now I'm really pissed I can't go this year!

Certainly you can make it up for the weekend, can't you? C'mon!
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I cannot. I'll be finalizing a major Active Directory and Exchange migration. I'm the project lead, so I can't bug out unfortunately. There's a lot of things changing this year, so I'm going to really make an effort next year. Definitely going to miss everyone though. :(
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    We'll miss ya, Cyclonite.

Prag, This is something I would love to accomplish, obviously. I don't know yet how much money I'll be able to pool since I'm unemployed in California, it depends on how the job search is looking by then among a few other things. I am definitely interested.

I too prefer oaky scotch to peat. No particular thoughts on what type, though I think I'd like to try a Macallan. If Lagavulin makes a 30yr, that would be a great scotch as well. I tried the 16 year, had a wonderful full body flavory with an oaky finish.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    Looks like we'll be shooting for a 30 year. Let's see some links to some options :)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    30 year.. wtf.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I might throw a few in for this.... enough to buy me 1 glass anyway, that's about all I'd want.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I would throw in for a double, dry.

-Bobby
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    If I would be there, I'd totally throw in.