Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• edited May 2010
    thank q
  • edited June 2010
    My comp has just died and undergone this very same problem yesterday. D= Worked completely alright when it coked out with the screen of death the next morning. Am going to try the instructions outlined here but I have a q...
    After typing in '1' 'Which windows admin would you like to log into' command, I get directed to:
    D:\WINDOWS instead of C:\WINDOWS

Is it possible to still use the solution above if that's the case? Don't want to do anything yet since I'm scared it will further exacerbate the prob. >___<

Hope someone can answer this!
  • edited June 2010
    at which point you will press the “R” key to enter the recovery console i`m getting Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.
    Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.
    Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3.
  • edited June 2010
    This worked well with some pc based till systems that were showing same symptoms after loading the usb printer driver. Great help, thanks
  • edited June 2010
    Hi , i got the "which windows would you like to log onto" . After that i type "1" . Now instead of going to the command prompt , i get the Blue screen of death ..registry_error stop 0x00000051 ..kindly help me.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    graverunner: D:\Windows is probably your CD drive. C: is nearly always the HDD. Your HDD might be toast and not detectable, but perhaps someone else could chime in if I am incorrect.

mahaveer: Sounds like your HDD is bad (mechanical failure of some sort). Ensure that all the plugs are in the right spot and try the steps again. If you get the same result or hear any clicking, then the HDD is toast.

Vipin: Glad to hear it worked for you

therain: That sounds like it is trying to mount parts of your registry that are then making the command prompt bomb out. Not sure what to do there without using a boot disc that can do offline registry fixing (and I'm not going to be able to discuss that because we only support and recommend legal actions here).
  • edited June 2010
    hi i have go to the stage of the password and don't know the administrator password please could you help me
  • edited June 2010
    thanks
    for you help
    francs
  • edited June 2010
    You can find answers from this website: www.windowsrecoverys.com
  • edited June 2010
    This procedure erases all restore points.
    Still have the BSOD.
  • edited June 2010
    I tried several other fixes with no luck and this fixed my PC.
    Mike
  • edited June 2010
    use of screen shot and image make things easy to understand
  • edited June 2010
    Save yourself some steps:

C: ATTRIB -H -S -R C:\\boot.ini
  • edited June 2010
    I tried it twice to fix an emachine . I used their restore disks and it came up with The file Windows/system32/config/system is corrupt or doesnt exist and I went through your process and did it twice with the same result. the recovery console still says the same thing and the computer will not boot
  • edited June 2010
    Niel just hit enter for the password
  • edited June 2010
    hello there!! Thanks a lot for the procedure....everytime i used to get this error i had to reinstall windows...this save ALOT of time..and ofcourse DATA.. : D
  • edited June 2010
    Thanks a lot, that was a life saver!
  • edited June 2010
    hello
    thanks a lot for the idea
  • edited June 2010
    Hi Guys,

At the end of this process, I was left with the option to boot two different, yet identically named versions of "Microsoft Windows XP Professional". To fix this I had to edit my boot.ini file in Windows.

Just wanted to let people know that they might need to do some additional work not mentioned in this article.
  • edited July 2010
    It works just like a charm. Your article saves my day.
    Thank you a lot.
  • edited July 2010
    Thank you so much for your clear explanation...just about to undertake these steps to repair a PC which has given me 4 of these errors over the last few years and has had me on on Linux for the last 2 weeks...although maybe that's a good thing! Will report back with the results!
  • edited July 2010
    I lost the function of removing software in the control panel add or remove programs. How can I recover that functionality?
  • edited July 2010
    are you sure it's CHKDSK /R /F ? That command returns "The parameter is not valid." message.
    CHKDSK /? does not list a /F as a valid parameter, but it does list /P. CHKDSK /R /P does run.
  • edited July 2010
    -=WARNING!=-

You need to proofread your text, before publishing it.

* C: CD ..
    * C: ATTRIB -H C:\\boot.ini
    * C:ATTRIB -S C:\\boot.ini
    * C:ATRIB -R C:\\boot.ini
    * C: del boot.ini
    * C: BOOTCFG /Rebuild
    * C: CHKDSK /R /F
    * C: FIXBOOT

Watch the typos!

Also, all you need to do is
    `ATTRIB -RSH file1 file2....filen'

But worse still,
    YOU FORGOT TO BACK UP THE BOOT.INI with
    `cp boot.ini boot.bak'

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

__NEVER__ edit system files without first saving a copy.

Shame On You!

I hope you haven't led too many people into screwing their computers into oblivion, like most of the other Geek Squad wanabees have, already.

HAND.
  • edited July 2010
    Some Command Line Interpreters
    might need
    "aattrib -r -s -h" (without the quotes)
    instead of
    "attrib -rsh" (without the quotes)
    to clear all the flags. This is true in Windows 2000. YMMV
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Some Command Line Interpreters
    might need
    "aattrib -r -s -h" (without the quotes)
    instead of
    "attrib -rsh" (without the quotes)
    to clear all the flags. This is true in Windows 2000. YMMV

You're gonna wanna watch those typos.
  • edited July 2010
    aatrib

=ouch!=

I stand corrected.
  • edited July 2010
    All joking aside:

Killing your boot.ini and doing a sanity check
    might work, provided the user is not in
    multiboot environment.

That said: it is NEVER a good idea to delete or modify ANY system file without first backing up the original version.

A typical multi-boot setup, using ntldr to chainload to grub, might look like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=12
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="XP Pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\bolin="CentOS"

C:\="WIN 98"

c:\bodos="DOS622" /win95dos

c:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Recovery Console" /CMDCONS

Should this get deleted or overwritten, it would be nice to have a copy, to manually reconstruct from, if nothing else.

Summarily blowing away the boot.ini is not a swell idea, in any event.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    As far as a "multiboot environment" that's going to be pretty rare considering any PC, no matter what it is will always run better with a single OS rather then 2 or more....

The people adding multi boot sequences should be tech-savvy enough to figure out the problem on there own or at least be able to google until they find an answer....

"Searching google for long enough will solve all life's problems"
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Mr TRiot wrote:
    As far as a "multiboot environment" that's going to be pretty rare considering any PC, no matter what it is will always run better with a single OS rather then 2 or more...

Ehhh I dont know how valid this is. Maybe partially true, as in the "inner" OSs, those farther in on the disk, will be "slower" but that is only marginally so and if you are using a SSD, I would think that there would be zero performance degradation.