Throwback brewed soda pop reintroduced

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited September 2010 in Food & Drink
This really isn't alcohol related, but it could be considered a brew maybe..

For all you non-alcoholic drinkers, or ones wanting a little better soda pop..

Pepsi and Mountain Dew have been reintroduced in 'Throwback' form made without HFCS. This time, there is a little surprise.. Dr. Pepper is now a third choice! I have yet to try it, but if you have had Dr. Pepper from some certain Texas 'breweries' then you will know it is far superior. Packaging and labeling have been retro-forwarded to 80s styling, vs the older more original styling.

Just in time after last May's release starts expiring..

Enjoy!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'll tell ya: pepsi throwback is really, really good. Dr. Pepper sounds awesome
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I've had Mt. Dew throwback and I really like it. I also don't have the crash with it like I do with the HFCS version.

It also tastes a lot better.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I very much enjoy the Pepsi throwback. I also enjoy the Passover-time Coke, since it's also made with sugar instead of HFCS (corn is not kosher for Passover).
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'd really like to try the Dr. Pepper version.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    I'll try the MD tonight.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited January 2010
    Kwitko wrote:
    I very much enjoy the Pepsi throwback. I also enjoy the Passover-time Coke, since it's also made with sugar instead of HFCS (corn is not kosher for Passover).

The kosher coke is something I enjoy, too. I looked for it in my possibly-secret spots last year, and didn't find much. I found a few retailers had the 2 liter bottles, but I want cans! From what I heard, my market didn't get any cans in 2009, but got a lot in 2008. I almost, well thought about it anyway, about taking a drive to Chicago for the cans, for real. :vimp: I don't know exactly what kinds of sugar the passover stuff uses, though.

Passover Pepsi confused me, as it listed ingredients as "High Fructose Corn Syrup, ..., Sugar" (the exact same as regular Pepsi) so I'm not sure if it really was kosher or not. The kosher Sierra Mist that Pepsi sold showed only sugar on the ingredients list.

I've tried the imported mexican coke and actually disliked it. It seemed to taste better in Mexico several years ago, along with Pepsi, which was rare to find. Actually, it was a hit or miss when I was there. I could tell some restaurants or locations tasted real good, while others almost tasted like they just rinsed out the bottles and refilled them with fountain pop. They always had the tops off before they got to us, and took the bottles back, as they still use recyclable classic styled glass bottles. I usually prefer Pepsi, but the Coke I had out of the country beat the U.S. Pepsi by far, usually.
    MAGIC wrote:
    I'll try the MD tonight.

I liked the original Mountain Dew Throwback. This is coming from someone who does not like the lemony limey pops. In fact, I've still got a few cans that expired Sept 2009 that still taste delicious.
    I'll tell ya: pepsi throwback is really, really good. Dr. Pepper sounds awesome

I too, love the Dr. Pepper idea. I do believe that the throwback series of pop uses a blend of beet and cane sugars, and thus, those certain Texas brewed Dr. Peppers probably are still better.

I would really like to research or figure out different specialty markets that make their sodas different than the rest of the country. I'm sure there are markets where someone can find a better Cherry Pepsi, Vanilla Coke, or that has some odd pop that isn't sold many places, or is vintage.

We used to have Cost Plus World Markets around my area, but they closed down here. They didn't have a lot of sodas, but they had a couple delicious root beers and birch beers. <--- See, I got beer in this thread somehow

EDIT/ADD ON

Pepsi Natural is better than Throwback Pepsi. I forgot about this. I've been saving my very last bottle. I'm not sure if it is still sold. Target had 4 packs for like $4-5 last time I was there and Costco had 12 packs (very limited time though) for about $10. I haven't looked since the spring of 2009.
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited May 2010
    I scored some dew and pepsi, really nice stuff. No crash at all.

But just went back to the store and it was gone, gone for good.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    I love the Pepsi Throwback, always have a hard time finding it though. It's not gloppy in your throat. (IB4TWSS)

Jones cola is as good or better, and available all the time, but also hard to find and waaaaay too expensive. Only consider switching if you see sugary drinks as a rare occasion...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2010
    TWHS.
  • QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Stupid HFCS. And silly American food companies for being inundated with it.
  • edited July 2010
    The name is a little unfortunate. When I was growing up throwbacks were when you spat back into the bottle after taking a drink.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    rapture wrote:
    The name is a little unfortunate. When I was growing up throwbacks were when you spat back into the bottle after taking a drink.

No no no. That's backwash.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    TWHS.

IMG_1196.jpg
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Damn Thrax deep throat that unfortunately shaped cookie.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    s/unfortunately/intentionally
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Koreish wrote:
    Damn Thrax deep throat that unfortunately shaped cookie.

Such a talented young man.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    What a champ.