Any digital Camera Suggestions?

edited July 2010 in Lifestyle
Hi,
I am looking to buy a new digital camera. I dont want to spent more than 200-250 Euro (around 300 USD?).
Well what i want is to be able to record video with high resolution and take pictures on low lighting without having colour distortions.
I alway loved sony cameras but as the technology expands i think there are better cameras right now that you can get cheap.
Bare in mind that i dont want huge cameras, i prefer it to be point and shoot and rather small.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    For those requirements, I might try a micro four-thirds camera - small + low light is what they're more or less going for. I don't know what they're doing on price or if they have video capabilities, though. There's a good list of options here.
  • edited July 2010
    well i am thinking of buying the SONY CYBERSHOT DSC-W380
    I am very sceptical on the camera that i am going to choose cause of my previous benq camera that fails to take a decent picture on low light (example a night club) or loosing sound when zooming while taking video. Overall i want to be able to take pictures that might involve fast moving objects , pictures in low light and also take good quality video.
  • bjbroderickbjbroderick Clinton Township, MI
    edited July 2010
    just bought an Olympus E-pl1 and it's great. i can use older manual focus lenses, and the kit lens is pretty good. about 500 us, but worth every penny. hd video is real good on it too, and you can zoom and adjust in manual too.
  • edited July 2010
    Looks great but i said before i am looking for a small camera.
    How do you think about the one i said before?
    edited July 2010
    i had an interest in the cybershots, but more for the two models that let you use their party dock. i hate having a camera at a party, it looks kinda douchey.

video is probably sketchy on most of the point and shoots, having such a small sensor. you might be just as good with a flip for that.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    My brother has the Cannon SX 210 is. It has a fantastic feature set for such a compact model. Long optical zoom, good overall image quality, shoots 1280X720 HD video at 30 FPS, pop up flash.
  • edited July 2010
    Hmm, through my research i think i will finally buy the panasonic lumix dmc-zx1
    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_zx1_review/conclusion/

What are your thoughts??
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I've heard a lot of good things about Lumix cameras; a lot of people in my photo club use them as their "sidekick" to their big boy cameras, and often find themselves using their point-n-shoot instead.

I'd truly appreciate it if you bought your camera through either our Adorama or Amazon affiliate links ;)

Either one can be found here
  • edited July 2010
    I've heard a lot of good things about Lumix cameras; a lot of people in my photo club use them as their "sidekick" to their big boy cameras, and often find themselves using their point-n-shoot instead.

I'd truly appreciate it if you bought your camera through either our Adorama or Amazon affiliate links ;)

Either one can be found here

I would love to buy from the links you are saying and support icrontic (as i am member for more than 5 years, i think :P) but i live in Cyprus. So i will have to pay shipping costs and also pay for VAT as i am located in EU and buying something from outside EU.
    edited July 2010
    Not to be a micro four thirds pimp or anything, but Panasonic will be releasing a m4/3 point and shoot with lecia glass. Looks interesting.

http://43rumors.com/ft5-awesome-new-panasonic-camera-with-m43-sensor-fixed-3x-zoom-lens-and-innovative-leica-designed-rangefinder/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Ah, no problem, understandable :D
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited July 2010
    Well I have always liked sony only because they used the carl zeise lens.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Sony and Carl Zeiss - two names that have been so watered down that all they're good for is the memories of old. Neither of them are worth a damn anymore. Phones have Carl Zeiss lenses, too. Are they good cameras? No. And Sony's been overpriced for a decade at least.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    edited July 2010
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Sony and Carl Zeiss - two names that have been so watered down that all they're good for is the memories of old. Neither of them are worth a damn anymore. Phones have Carl Zeiss lenses, too. Are they good cameras? No. And Sony's been overpriced for a decade at least.

Well I still have my old 2.1mp sony digital camera DSC-S50 from 2001. At the time it retailed for 399.99. The old camera still holds a charge for 200+ frames.
    He was asking for a cheap reliable digital camera and I have seen a 15mp cyber shot for 150.00.
    I personally would recommend a nikon d90 or d5000 with a tamron lens.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited July 2010
    I typically recommend PENTAX Optio W90 Pistachio Green, or Olympus STYLUS TOUGH-8010; for amazing cameras in the $300US range. both do video, have good resolution and are waterproof/shockproof/freezeproof.
  • edited July 2010
    i finally went and bought the sony cybershot w350 :P