Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Best. Ever. I lol'd. :cheers2:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Not all of them are hating life. One went as far as to create a steam group and register a domain to tout their new found pixels.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goldenwrenchengineers

-Digi
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    lolz

this is one guy not re-installing TF2 for a stupid wrench
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Once theyre all gone it will be forgotten. In a year, when/if you see someone with one, you will be like "oh i remember that".
    edited July 2010
    ...That... or I get one and there are Golden corpses all over the IC server

-Bobby
  • ZadokZadok Ft. Wayne, IN
    edited July 2010
    @Fatcat

You should however re-install TF2 because it is a great game even without a Golden Wrench.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Its the Halo 3 Recon Armor fiasco all over again....
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    That was quite an interesting article, Thrax. To everyone else, it's definitely worth a read. It delves into what makes games so damn addictive, through the use of small but obtainable rewards, placed at random intervals, that keep you coming back for more.

For me, at first I was excited for the chance to win a golden hammer (hell, my slogan to the left is the Goldmember quote, "I love golllllllllld!" so I'd love to get one for that alone), but...

...the sheer fact that probability is stacked against me, I'm not sure if I want to even bother trying to craft away even the duplicate items I have...

Addictive game elements like these have only a limited effect on me. I'll enjoy a game and the "addiction" for a little while, then move on. Hell, I left WoW at only level 40. I knew when it was time to give it a rest.
    edited July 2010
    I believe I fall right in the middle.... I have been Idling for the last 3 days (first time ever) but have yet to craft any unique items I have. I have all the unlockables minus Scotsman's Skullcutter and the Sam & Max unlocks. I could craft away in hopes of getting the wrench but... meh. I also crafted my first hat earlier today: Towering Pillar of Hats

Ohhh and the Golden Wrench turns players into statues, not just gold corpses, they freeze in position of death. http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Golden_Wrench

-Digi
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Holy CRAP! GOLDEN STATUE KILL!

Now I REALLY WANT ONE SLDKFJ:LHKJ
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    All signs point to it being a randomly chosen winner at specific times. The wrenches seem to be awarded at the top of specific hours; for example, wrench #33 was awarded almost precisely at midnight PST on the 6th. This makes sense, if you consider that Valve is using the wrench count to announce Engineer updates; this is a creative way for them to time announcements and still release the update on a specific day. They have an end point in mind when the 100th wrench will be found, mark my words.
    edited July 2010
    All signs point to it being a randomly chosen winner at specific times. The wrenches seem to be awarded at the top of specific hours; for example, wrench #33 was awarded almost precisely at midnight PST on the 6th. This makes sense, if you consider that Valve is using the wrench count to announce Engineer updates; this is a creative way for them to time announcements and still release the update on a specific day. They have an end point in mind when the 100th wrench will be found, mark my words.

Yeah, Thursday. It's literally like a slot machine. Guarantied to pay out X over Y amount of time. There are Z amount of seconds between start and finish. All the winning seconds are predetermined by the algorithm or they would not be able to guarantee they would be given out by the end. :tongue2:

-Digi
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Yeah, Thursday. It's literally like a slot machine. Guarantied to pay out X over Y amount of time. There are Z amount of seconds between start and finish. All the winning seconds are predetermined by the algorithm or they would not be able to guarantee they would be given out by the end. :tongue2:

-Digi

They even admit to it. Paraphrasing, they said on the forum that they have it set up to give equal distribution chances to all the different time zones. So it's a slot machine of sorts. The way I see it, crafting more often all day won't increase your odds of winning, because you just have to be -that- one lucky person to craft during the timing that they allow a wrench to be dropped.
  • FrylockFrylock Washington St...not DC
    edited July 2010
    If anyone from here gets it we need to destroy it and put it on youtube...sooo many pissed people!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Just look at some of the message boards online. The discussion on this topic is rampant, and it proves one thing. The average gamer has the mentality of a nine year old boy, and not a particularly mature one at that. People griefing oh boo hoo its random, someone is going to have something I can't have, how could Valve do this to me, whaaa, whaaa, whaaa!!! I'm embarrassed for adult gamers, I really am.
    edited July 2010
    If I got one I would use it to create the first public Engi token

-Bobby
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    fatcat wrote:
    lolz

this is one guy not re-installing TF2 for a stupid wrench

Yeah, go pull a DIFFERENT lever for some digital toys, right?

Did anyone notice that at the bottom of http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/, there's a new melee weapon with a little tag that says 'from the watchmaker?'
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I saw that. There was also a mention in today's update that there was going to be more than one melee weapon available...
    edited July 2010
    6... more... wrenches... :-(

-Digi
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Aaaaaand it's live.

Btw, supposed stats on the Watchmaker's alternative wrench:

Level 50 wrench, random crits, on hit: bleed for 5 seconds, 20% fire damage vulnerability on wearer.

Via his Steam page.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    FINALLY!!!
  • edited July 2010
    I have a golden wrench (#73) and I endorse this message.

But seriously valve released the golden wrench in a attempt to 'revitalize' the tf2 community as you have previously stated and they have done so successfully.

While yes some people do feel the need to troll me as a golden wrench wearer, but I did change my name so I feel I am a bad representitive as I attract attention where as people like
  • edited July 2010
    Wow bad comment.

I went off on a tanget, i will stop while ahead.

WEEE INTERRRRRNETTSSS!!!1
    edited July 2010
    You should play TF2 with us, your honor :D
  • edited July 2011
    That guy is a stupid faggot.
    Give it to me if you think it's a curse, idiot.

Alternatively, if you are so faggot you can't ignore ingame messages, you can destroy it like those 14 players did for the charity auction (http://www.toptiertactics.com/golden-charity/)
    and don't fucking act lame ass.

Again, give it to me if you are so fag you can't even deal with a game.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Why u mad over a year old thread?
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    mudoman wrote:
    That guy is a stupid ******.
    Give it to me if you think it's a curse, idiot.

Alternatively, if you are so ****** you can't ignore ingame messages, you can destroy it like those 14 players did for the charity auction (http://www.toptiertactics.com/golden-charity/)
    and don't fucking act lame ass.

Again, give it to me if you are so *** you can't even deal with a game.

Best rage I've seen all day.
    TiberiusLazarus
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    especially when it is only 10am eh prag... :p
    edited July 2011
    Achievement unlocked: completely unreasonable internet rage