mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Hardware

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Solid and sound advice, Nick :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Jackie just got a new laptop, and you bet nuking it and reloading it with a clean copy of Windows was the first thing that I did. The desktop was packed with all sorts of useless utilities, helper bars for slow people who can't figure out the start menu and all manner of rubbish.

The computer definitely boots more quickly and feels more responsive.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Lenovo's built in restore partition lets you reinstall without any of the crap that comes by default. I used that when I got this laptop to reinstall vista business...I'm not sure if it's still an option, but it may be an easier solution than having to download/burn/reinstall.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Great advice, would be interesting to see some sort of comparisson also on which laptops are the best and which are the worst in this regard. In my experience it doesn't get any worse than Sony when it comes to preloaded nonsense.

One technical comment -- your Amazon links have IP addresses in them.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I've been waiting for something like this. Thank you so much for putting it all together. I'll be following this to reinstall my new ASUS G73JH that I recently picked up.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Very nice article! I always recommend doing this whenever someone gets a new laptop. Now I have something to refer to.
  • Romad317Romad317 Member
    edited July 2010
    Good clear procedures, recommend for anybody getting a new commercial system, regardless of maker. Just too frikken sad that we have to do this to mainstream computers.
  • litenkulitenku Maryland Member
    edited July 2010
    Interestingly enough, many of these issues are side-skirted by getting a business class notebook.

Also, if you recommend installing Avira or Avast, then also suggest anything you have to do to disable the built in antivirus software Windows 7 comes with...

In step 3/5, you probably also don't want to update "hardware drivers" that you've already installed from your hardware vendor.