Engi Update is Go

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Team Fortress 2
http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/

We can move Sentries!!!! http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/engineer_photos/

...And Poop out mini sentries with The Gunslinger (The robotic arm from the teaser).

So Excited!

-Digi

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    New map is "Thunder Mountain" as eluded to earlier in the update on the Map at the bottom of the update page. Looks like a payload race with some sort of elevator at the end? Looks sweet, maybe instead of a final push up a hill with instant rollback, you have to ride the bomb up and it falls back down to the earth when untouched.

Edit: I might be mashing these together, maybe there is THREE new payload maps? Hightower, Upward, and Thunder Mountain.

-Bobby
    edited July 2010
    Guitar Melee!!!!!
    Honky Tonk Man
    Smash an enemy player's head in with your guitar.

-Bobby
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Downloading now, JIMMY RESTART THE SERVER!!! Baby it is 2fort night.

There are three payload maps. Upward which looks like a pl that runs up a mesa, Hightower which is a dual pl map with the elevator at the end, and Thunder Mountain where the only real clues right now are a lap pool-long track-and the whole place is going to explode.
  • YarlynaoYarlynao Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited July 2010
    There is not guitar melee. Its a kill taunt for the gunslinger, and he plays it with the tool kit I think.

If you are having trouble downloading it switch to a different server like London where less people will be using it because of time zones. I'm getting ~300 kbps in London right now.
    edited July 2010
    Yarlynao wrote:
    There is not guitar melee. Its a kill taunt for the gunslinger, and he plays it with the tool kit I think.

Yes there is:
    Honky Tonk Man
    Smash an enemy player's head in with your guitar.

The fact that you will not need the wrench to upgrade your sentry opens up other melee weapons for the Engi. A guitar would be a perfect fit as it is what he has in the Meet the Engineer video and Valve has already done it in L4D2.

-Digi
  • YarlynaoYarlynao Manitoba, Canada Member
    edited July 2010
    It's the Frontier Justice's taunt kill. I was wrong about it being for the Gunslinger.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    There are 4 maps actually. The three that I listed which are valve and the community map is ColdFront CP map. From the release notes it looks like there is not guitar just the southern hospitality which should be the watchmaker wrench.
    Engineers can now pickup & move their buildings.
    edited July 2010
    Yup, I was wrong. Guitar is a taunt. And the gunslinger is the melee weapon... and it has an awesome taunt of doom.

-Digi
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    The engi is a little crazy right now. The wrangler protects everything in the shell, which can fit two soldiers plus an engi right now. The gunslinger poops out sentries so fast it's scary not to mention they can't be destroyed while being constructed. And the new shotty is justice.

I think Valve has some major tweaking to do with this update.

Also crazy strategy. Create a minisentry with the gunslinger demolish it right away then shotty anyone near by for two free crits and rebuild minisentry.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Nice to see a good offensive version of the engi. Super excited to play tonight. Always takes forever to get the weapon unlocks for the classes i like though.
  • ObsidianObsidian Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    The game is completely broken on most servers now. It can be fun as a sniper or spy sometimes but when 80% of people are playing engineer and moving their sentries all around it's pretty bizarre and it just doesn't work.
    edited July 2010
    The engi fad will slow in a week or so as it always does after a release. I know the 2 hours i have played as soldier were from the update week and i have never played it again.
    edited July 2010
    I am a huge fan of the Gunslinger / Frontier Justice combo as Koreish pointed out. I would plop a little sentry, it would get attacked maybe get a kill or two, then I would take it down and rebuild it. All the while I bank 3 crits on the 'Justice.

Engis being able to move buildings changed the entire game[period]

-Digi

Edit: I received the Gunslinger and Frontier Justice naturally. Simply playing Engi as I normally do and the achievements came. Magic, you will get them both easily. Now the next one might be hard, dunno, honestly I have not read through the achievements.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Engineer is still my #1 most played class

And I'm dreading logging in to play. Haven't seen the update yet. Don't feel like dealing with all the engineer spam.
    edited July 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    I received the Gunslinger and Frontier Justice naturally. Simply playing Engi as I normally do and the achievements came. Magic, you will get them both easily. Now the next one might be hard, dunno, honestly I have not read through the achievements.

Yeah, I forgot you can get them through acheivements as well now. The last class I really wanted unlocks for was Sniper and that was when they had it entirely random.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I thought you could always get them through achievements and the random drop thing was new?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    The "engineer spam" isn't a problem. It's a blast! The new stuff really encourages engineers to be harassing offensive players instead to turtles. And it's not so overpowered. If you get a good spy or a heavy/medic on your team, you'll crush the all-engineer teams. Pyros wrech in the update too.
    edited July 2010
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I thought you could always get them through achievements and the random drop thing was new?

For the first couple updates you had to do acheivements to unlock the weapons. Some of them, specifically the last ones, were pretty damn tough and you had to be fairly skilled/lucky at a particular class to unlock the final weapon. Naturally people bitched because they wanted all of the weapons but most people aren't talented enough at all of the classes to get the last couple very tough acheivements.

Logical answer: lower the number of acheivements to unlock weapons. This pleases people who want all the weapons but do not want to dedicate the time/effort to get the hardest milestones, but those milestones still exist for people who consider that class to be "their class" and want to get all of them.

Valves answer: make weapons aquisition completely random and make the acheivement system they put so much effort into completely pointless as there is no reward for earning acheivements. This lasted about a week.

Now we have a hybrid system where weapons can be discovered randomly or aquired by completing acheivements. I think they have lowered the requirements to reach milestones too though.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    If it wasn't for the frontier justice I'd agree with you Buddy J but that's a complete game changer. Complete knowledge of when and how many crits you have plus the ability to "make" a crit as needed can devestate your oppenents charge. This update means that snipers and spies are going to have to step up their game.
    edited July 2010
    Koreish wrote:
    If it wasn't for the frontier justice I'd agree with you Buddy J but that's a complete game changer. Complete knowledge of when and how many crits you have plus the ability to "make" a crit as needed can devestate your oppenents charge. This update means that snipers and spies are going to have to step up their game.

Seems about as fair as the benefits of the Force 'A Nature. I hate that damn thing.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I'm loving this update so far, plenty of sitting ducks to pick off :D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Obsidian wrote:
    when 80% of people are playing engineer and moving their sentries all around it's pretty bizarre and it just doesn't work.
    Works for me! I was consistently at the top of my team playing Solider or Heavy while they all figured out what buttons to press. Like lambs to the slaughter. ;D
    pragtastic wrote:
    I'm loving this update so far, plenty of sitting ducks to pick off :D
    Precisely. Buncha silly engies. :vimp:
    edited July 2010
    Everyone better be on tonight. I cant wait for work to be over to go play this. Haven't been this excited for a videogame in a while.
    edited July 2010
    Damn you priorities! I have to continue laying flooring tonight. If I can finish up I might be able to get on around 9-10 PST. You're gunna have a blast.

-Digi
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    I'll be on if I can get my silly 9800 gx2 working again....
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    In for tonight, its a sniper paradise out there.
    edited July 2010
    pigflipper wrote:
    In for tonight, its a sniper paradise out there.

...says the luckiest guy on the server (laughed at the odds; played Sniper and received two Engi drops, while the rest of us were working for ours :-P)

-Digi
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    No, I got those while playing Engie.