Folding with GTX280

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited July 2010 in Folding@Home
Hello.

I've just setup folding on my CPU, but I wanna fold with my GPU to.
I tried searching the forums for information about this, and got some results, which I read. However, I'm quite confused.
I'm running Win7 64-bit.

Which client should I download from the stanford site?

And can someone explain to me how to easily set this up on my computer?
(I haven an XFX Geforce GTX280, no OC)

I also read something about SMP being better than having 4 separate clients. I've set up my computer with separate clients, how do I change this? (I have an i7 965, no OC)

Thanks in advance
Jokke

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Use this download page to get what you really want. Download the first item, GPU3 client, and the v6 beta SMP2 client MPICH client. You need to put a password on your user account to run the SMP client. You need to get a passkey for your folding name to get all big points in SMP2, also follow the install guide that Stanford has posted for that client it is really easy to follow.

Let me know if you get stuck or what not.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Ok, I've set up my GPU and SMP clients... How do I know they work? (I think I've might have messed up with the CPU at one point) Also, do I have to manually start the client(s) everytime I boot my computer, since it wasn't recommended or supported to launch it as a service?

Do I have to delete the old one-folder-for-every-core F@H folders?
    edited July 2010
    You can just leave them if they are not running on start-up. If you have the -smp and -advmethods flag on the SMP install and you want it to do a service then make a desktop short cut and for the properties target line outside of the "" use -configonly and launch with it. Tell it to install as a service when you run through all the options, leave everything else the same. Then go into the windows service manager and mark the folding service to start on start-up.
    edited July 2010
    Ok, it seems to be working now, GPU is definitely folding.

Thanks for the help, K!
    edited July 2010
    If you are wanting to check up on your folding clients try using HFM.NET, provides a lot of good data on the WU that you are processing the gives a pretty darn great break down of PPD-PPD per MHz-interval times-ETAs-etc.

Then since you have HFM installed don't forget to drop in on the PPD thread and post up your numbers.
    edited July 2010
    I have this eerie suspicion I did something wrong... My CPU (Intel i7 965 3.2GHz) is churning up a whooping... 270-something ppd, according to the HFM.net application...
    edited July 2010
    Screenshot of HFM-app.

You can see the GPU, Folding 1-4 (which is the non-SMP edition, and FAH, which is SMP.
    edited July 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    You can just leave them if they are not running on start-up.

Your single cores are for sure running since HFM shows them running and the ppd is so low. Shut them all down and just go ahead and delete/uninstall the single core installs. There are folders in the program files section and App data(roaming folder in win7).

Also hopefully that is what is bringing your GPU ppd down, you should be over 6k on most WUs.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Jokke wrote:
    Screenshot of HFM-app.

You can see the GPU, Folding 1-4 (which is the non-SMP edition, and FAH, which is SMP.

You're FAH is not setup as smp, as HFM would classify the Type as SMP instead of standard. You probably should do the following to correct that:

You probably need to replace the folding executable, use the new beta core (stop the service, delete everything in the folder, and download this to it, probably rename it fah6.exe):
    http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.29beta-win32-SMP-mpich.exe

And there are instructions here
    1. Create a shortcut to the folding executable and place it on the desktop
    2. right-click the shortcut, select properties.
    3. In the "target" box, add -configonly to the end.
    4. Double-click your config link
    5. Run through the config and make sure that you set your username and passkey (if you haven't already) and press 'y' to change advanced options.
    6. You may want to select advanced methods and big WUs, but the important thing to do is add -smp to the line titled "Additional options" or switches (I don't remember which)
    7. Hit enter a couple times to get out of that box and then restart the computer (via the services menu).
    You'll need to redo the HFM settings, but it should all be good after that. Your GPU stuff shouldn't change.

Update: http://fahwiki.net/index.php/How_do_I_add_flags_using_a_shortcut_to_the_console_client%3F for info on the way to make the shortcuts and switches
    edited July 2010
    Done, we'll see how it works out. It's flagged as SMP this time, so... *crosses fingers*
    edited July 2010
    HFM will tell you it is a SMP2 client type and core will be an FahCore_a3.exe in task manager, I forget what HFM reports it as.
    edited July 2010
    In task manager now I have (related to F@H):

fah6.exe *32
    fahcore_11.exe *32
    fahcore_a3.exe *32
    folding@home.exe *32

folding@home.exe is the GPU, I guess.
    fahcore_a3.exe is the SMP, if I understand correctly..
    What are those other two? I've deleted all folders in C: related to F@H except the SMP one. Are there other folders with files that keep running somewhere else? In the Roaming folder i can only see the GPU.

HFM also says that the SMP is: "RunningNoFrameTimes", and the bar is yellow.
    edited July 2010
    the 11 should be the GPU. the folding@home.exe is just what gets launched to handle the cores. fah6.exe looks like it is for handling the SMP client.

If you don't see any folders or files where you already looked there aren't any. Change the preferences in HFM to use the last 3 frames for calculating ppd.

I will update this with specifics when I get home in under 2 hours.
    edited July 2010
    :D

Thanks for the help, guys!
    edited July 2010
    Jokke wrote:
    :D

Thanks for the help, guys!
    I'm angry with you for having an i7 now though. Thats ridiculous. 13k+ points for not too many cycles more / second than my Phenom IIx4 940 (3.0GHz)
    edited July 2010
    Also HT.
    edited July 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    Also HT.
    Yeah yeah. I call baloney.