primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    the MiFi is good WeeFee.
  • photodudephotodude Salt Lake, Utah Member
    edited January 2010
    I Just as I thought MiFi is verizon code name for "my fee" or expanded "verizon, taken the fees to the bank device"

I do agree the MiFi is very useful just like internet on a smart phone. MiFi is also a lifesaver for some specific uses like journalism and business but a waste for many other uses.

and the bandwidth cap of 250MB....really, really. either verizon is after fees or they have no concept of multimedia consumption on the internet.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited January 2010
    Out of curiosity, why weren't you guys just tethering with your phones?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Because carriers don't like it when you tether and haven't paid for it. The traffic patterns are very obvious.
    edited January 2010
    Right, I guess that would have worked out to be more expensive then the MiFi then?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Right, tethering is more expensive than the MiFi because you need to purchase tethering on TOP of a data plan. This is true of any carrier out there. If you want WWAN, an aircard or something like the MiFi is by far the cheapest option. I use "cheap" loosely.
    edited January 2010
    I understand that tethering costs more above and beyond your data plan, but the MiFi costs more beyond your cell phone data plan too assuming you all had Android phones. I'm surprised the MiFi is significantly cheaper, is that because you only needed one of them for the five of you?

MiFi, that's some clever branding on Verizon's part.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2010
    Heh... T-mobile didn't seem to notice my tethering that I was doing for weeks as I moved into my new house. Rooted android ftw.
  • edited July 2010
    Beware! I have had the Verizon 5gb mifi for about a year and recently ran into a very costly problem. Recently Verizon ran an update that will allow any computer who has a stored mifi password to automatically connect to the internet anytime the computer is on. For those customers who use their computers for work and play and keep at least one operating at all times, this can be a problem. Most Microsoft, Skype, Java, etc. will stream their updates continuously, so that the Verizon mifi is downloading most all the time. The only remedy we have found and the one recommended by Verizon tech service is to turn off auto update on every computer or to constantly turn the mifi on and off everytime you want to get on the internet. Not an option for those of us who work from home. By the time we discovered the problem and got to the cause, our bill was over $1250.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    eep! Thanks for the heads up :)
  • edited March 2011
    I had a similar problem, thot must be my usage was more that I was in fact using. My bill for Sept and Oct added up to over $10,000! I am currently fighting with the company and am going to call a lawyer tommorrow (told them that) and I am thinking that this warrents a class action suit! Hope you didnt pay that bill!