Dear Sprint, if I could have but a Moment of your precious time...

Comments

• edited July 2010
    So what do I buy if I have 2 buy something because my phone is dying now? Is the moment really that prone 2freezing that I shouldn't get it?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    No, it's not that prone to it. It only happens if you enable WiFi and then disable it. If you absolutely MUST get a phone now, I still recommend the Moment.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    No, it's not that prone to it. It only happens if you enable WiFi and then disable it. If you absolutely MUST get a phone now, I still recommend the Moment.

If you're not willing to pay the EVO 4G tax, then definitely still get the Moment. Even bearing the issue with the phone, which is a real annoyance for me because of my constant roving from WiFi to non-WiFi, it won't be a problem for a majority of users.

The Intercept was promising until the spec's actually were released.

The only real problem with the Moment is the lack of official future upgrade to 2.2 (the unofficial channels will definitely put one together, and it will run it fine, since the Intercept is no more powerful), and the WiFi bug. Otherwise, it's far superior to the Hero.
  • edited July 2010
    Thanks for both of your feedback. Some sprint store rep told me the moment freezes up on 80% of moments sometimes requiring phone reset by sprint not just from using wifi and switching back to sprint internet connection and it might not start acting up until after the 30 day test period but since I seem to know the hardware specs better then the sprint store rep from reading posts like yours if you say it only happens if you use wifi I'll get the moment based on your say so. If I live in an urban area would I ever "NEED" to use wi-fi & will phone switch to it automatically or only if I initiate it? But how will I know when 2.2 comes out on the unofficial channels to find and load it? What I've read says it's a lot faster so I want it. The store rep tried to sell me the intercept since it's cuter & comes in pink & when I asked what made intercept better said the processor on the moment was slower meant for 1.5 so not as compatable with 2.1 and showed me that the hearing aid compatability had 2 numbers it was compatable with on intercept display card and only 1 number it was compatable with on moment card when I asked for documentation about the better processor on the intercept!?!? BTW I dont wear a hearing aid or pink for that matter. Don't they both have an identical processor? I'm not technically savvy but I'm not mentally challenged either and I'm a little insulted by the look at the pretty color sales pitch in response to my request for info about stability and processing speed. I guess I should pay the outrageous warranty fee so if my phone tanks I can get the refurbished replacements? Do I have 2 pay $100 each time they give me another refurb replacement?
    edited July 2010
    IIRC, the Moment and the Intercept are identical hardware but for a few key features:
    The Intercept's camera does not have a flash
    The Intercept has a 400x240 (HQVGA wut?) TFT LCD Screen (not the AMOLED in the Moment (<3 Thrax))
    The Intercept has the slower, older-technology EvDo Rev 0 data radio, meaning it will be slower over cell networks than the Moment.

As for hearing aid compatibility, if they're different at all, it's not by much. Almost all of the internal hardware on the Moment exists on the Intercept.

2.2 is a strange thing in this context. Since the hardware is essentially identical, there is no reason why the 2.2 build for the Intercept won't work perfectly on a Moment with minimal tweaking. But since Sprint has decided that the Moment is not getting 2.2, it is up to the backchannel hackers to get it up and running.

Finally, I have never seen the Moment itself lock up, as in becoming unresponsive to my inputs. I can, however demonstrate the data lockup (everything on the phone works just fine, but all data connections over the cellular radios is dead) at will on any Moment.
  • edited July 2010
    If I give you my email would you mind sending me a link to download 2.2 when a satisfactory unofficial download is available? I guess sprint wouldnt handle any tech for me support if my phone had issues and it had the unofficial 2.2 on it? I just thought it was funny the sprint rep was showing me hearing aid compatability specifications claiming that meant the processor was better in the intercept then the moment which makes no sense to me. If your phone is less then a year old could you get samsung to repair it for free since it's a manufacturing defect?
    edited July 2010
    Danni wrote:
    If I give you my email would you mind sending me a link to download 2.2 when a satisfactory unofficial download is available? I guess sprint wouldnt handle any tech for me support if my phone had issues and it had the unofficial 2.2 on it? I just thought it was funny the sprint rep was showing me hearing aid compatability specifications claiming that meant the processor was better in the intercept then the moment which makes no sense to me. If your phone is less then a year old could you get samsung to repair it for free since it's a manufacturing defect?

It would be easier to just cruise the sdx-developers forum (forum.sdx-developers.com). They're always brimming with information, and usually very willing to help.

Since it's possible I'll be on a different device by the time it becomes available, I may not know when it does.
  • edited July 2010
    So I got my moment and it's done the self induced airplane mode glitch twice so far in under 24 hours. The main purpose of the phone is incoming calls so if I can't get those reliably it;'s a problem for me. They tell me I must have put it in that mode accidentally. What do I do try to swap it out for another new in box momment?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2010
    From what I've read, the glitch has nothing to do with airplane mode. Enabling WiFi, then disabling it causes the data connection to lock up. By my understanding, this should not affect the voice connection at all, only the data connection. If it's going into airplane mode either 1) you're actually putting it into airplane mode on accident or 2) you're experiencing some other problem.
    edited July 2010
    ^ Absolutely.
    edited July 2010
    Agreed as well. People call it the 'airplane mode' bug because it has the same overall effect of putting the phone in Airplane Mode.

If you're going into Airplane Mode (actual airplane symbol by your signal meter), then there's a different issue. If you can demonstrate it reliably, take it to a repair store and show them what's happening.

Most of the time, they'll do a 'hard reset' on it, which is effectively reloading the OS from scratch, which will fix 99% of non-hardware issues with smartphones.

I've never experienced my phone (any of the 3 individual units I've had) randomly going into actual Airplane Mode on its own.
  • edited July 2010
    My phone did this twice the icon was not the airplane it was an x in the box where the airplane would normally be but when I looked in the menu it said it was in airplane mode. I couldnt make or receive calls until I pulled the battery out to reset the phone. They "reset" my phone software in the store and they are mailing me another moment. Several times I wasn't able to answer my phone when someone called me so hopefully I just have a bad device and the replacement will take care of the problem. I've never turned wifi on my phone, but it doesn't sound like what you're saying going into wifi and then back to cellular internet does is anything like airplane mode because I think you're saying result is that your internet connections wont work but the phone still makes and receives calls and what my phone does results in no phone call signal or data and after the reset sometimes I can't anser my darn phone when it's ringing.
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, it sounds like you got a bum unit. That can happen from time to time even with the best devices.

Good luck with the next one.

One thing to note: The wifi usage lockup can affect phone calls. When I got replacement unit #1 and locked it up, I couldn't even make a phone call.
  • edited September 2010
    My wife purchased a Moment back in April, and we have been seeing the exact same issues. I thought we could live with them, but an issue this week (I had to get a hold of my wife but could not because the phone went into data lock)caused me to rethink why we were living with this issue. I began the process with Sprint on Monday, and I am pulling my hair out with Executive Services now. Please let me what your final decision was. Was an operational fix from Sansung ever delivered? Did you leave Sprint? I agree that I love the specs on the Moment, but I cannot depend on this phone and we should not have to suffer thru these lock ups.

Thank you for a great web site.
    edited September 2010
    Jason wrote:
    My wife purchased a Moment back in April, and we have been seeing the exact same issues. I thought we could live with them, but an issue this week (I had to get a hold of my wife but could not because the phone went into data lock)caused me to rethink why we were living with this issue. I began the process with Sprint on Monday, and I am pulling my hair out with Executive Services now. Please let me what your final decision was. Was an operational fix from Sansung ever delivered? Did you leave Sprint? I agree that I love the specs on the Moment, but I cannot depend on this phone and we should not have to suffer thru these lock ups.

Thank you for a great web site.

I've been working directly with Samsung for the last couple of weeks. I sent them my most recent replacement from Sprint, and I have a new one that Samsung has applied a fix to waiting on my front porch at home right now.

If you register and send me a PM, I can hook you up with the contact I've been working with at Samsung.

They seemed genuinely surprised that the problem still persists after the DE03 update (2.1). I would at least start there, since that was supposed to fix the issue.
  • edited September 2010
    I have been only dealing with Exec Services. If you could email me that contact, I would really appreaciate it:

jaymaj@yahoo.com

Exec Services is trying to get me to a reapir center for a "software" fix. I asked her the following questions:

1.) Why, if there is a software fix to this issue, is it not posted on your web site, Samsung's web site, or even pushed to your customers OTA? Why is it not communicated to all Moment owners (purchased or registered through Sprint) that a fix exists?

2.) Why do I have to waste value time and expenses to travel to a repair center?

3.) Why did a Sprint customer service rep, on Tuesday August 31st, state that NO FIX EXISTED, and that the battery should be pulled until a permenant fix is found?

NO COMMENT BACK YET
  • edited September 2010
    (I hope this doesnt appear in duplicate)

I have been only talking to Exec Services. Samsung has not replied back yet. If you could send me a contact, I would greatly appreaciate it:

I am still waiting for Sprint to answer the following basic questions:

1.) Why, if there is a software fix to this issue, is it not posted on your web site, Samsung's web site, or even pushed to your customers OTA? Why is it not communicated to all Moment owners (purchased or registered through Sprint) that a fix exists?

2.) Why do I have to waste value time and expenses to travel to a repair center?

3.) Why did a Sprint customer service rep, on Tuesday August 31st, state that NO FIX EXISTED, and that the battery should be pulled until a permenant fix is found?

Your arguments on replacement models is perfect. I actually believe that a full refund and ETF waiver should be due to all owners of this unit.
    edited September 2010
    Regardless of whether Sprint has the fix that Samsung sent me or not, it doesn't matter.

Data lockup within 2 hours of turning off WiFi last night. Whatever the fix was, it still doesn't address the issue.

I'm starting to doubt any desire I may have to own another Samsung device at this point.
  • edited September 2010
    Khaos - IANAL but if you have the paper trail, you will win in court. Wait for them to sue you and then show them the email, they have nothing to stand on.
  • edited September 2010
    Any further responses on your end Nathan?

My mail has been quiet today. Seems like they are ignoring me again.

Samsung has yet to respond at all.

Just an FYI. I am a Hero owner. I do recommend it as a phone, but not as a one for one replacement for the Moment.

I told Sprint I want a refund in full, waive all ETFs, and New customer pricing on a phone of our choice. Can you send me your contact at Samsung?

Thanks.

Jason
    edited September 2010
    I haven't heard anything from either side yet this week.

I asked my person at Samsung if she wanted me to send others her way, but I don't want to publish anything until she says yea or nay.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Khaos - IANAL but if you have the paper trail, you will win in court. Wait for them to sue you and then show them the email, they have nothing to stand on.

Except that email can be faked ridiculously easily. Even a hack lawyer could discredit email as proof of anything in court.
    edited September 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    Except that email can be faked ridiculously easily. Even a hack lawyer could discredit email as proof of anything in court.

SOX and FOIA make it a little easier to audit internal records these days.

While it would be easy for me to fake an incoming e-mail, a simple subpoena to either my email provider or the company in question would give the definitive answer.

Fortunately for us (public institution), we're actually less beholden to SOX than the private sector, and we toss any deleted e-mail older than 6 months.
  • edited September 2010
    Would anyone be willing to sign a sworn statement (letter stating issue / remedies attempted / current status) and have it notarized and scanned to me? I would need current contact information in the letter. Just debating my options and small claims may be one be I would need official statements to back up my claim.
  • edited September 2010
    I always got data lockups and I never used wifi. It happened every few hours with simple browsing.
  • edited September 2010
    Make sure you see the posting by the Sprint tech yesterday. It proves that there is an issue and a fix is not available. Everything we have been told is untrue and a waste of time! This admits to the issue at hand:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/213251#213251
    edited September 2010
    Oh I've seen it, for sure. I also commented on it.

I'm sure they had it, and I'm also sure it's the one that Samsung sent me recently (which doesn't work).

Samsung has said they have another one in the works. Hopefully it will be soon.
  • edited September 2010
    I have been fighting with sprint over the moment for a few weeks now and am also only offered the hero.. I can not use the touch key pad I require a slide out key pad. They are refusing to help and I am considering a lawyer to aid in getting out of my contract since we can not reach an agreement!
    edited October 2010
    As of yesterday evening, I am no longer a Sprint customer.

I utilized my waiver of ETF and flipped to big red with a nice pair of Fascinates for $50/each.

Our bill ends up only about $5/month higher ($8/lower with the new discount changes) than we were previously.
    edited October 2010
    And a hell of a better phone to boot. Nice.