Install Windows 7 from USB using Windows XP

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I've tried this several times even using the Windows USB/DVD tool and it continually spits 'Disk Read Error' at me ... Why?!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    You probably have a bad disk
  • edited August 2010
    hi. i am not tech savvy and i need your help. i have a new computer set at home and it has no OS. completely new. specs are core2duo e7500, 2gb ram ddr2 apacer, asus p5kplam epu board, dvdr writer,320gd hdd and 1gb geforce 9500 vid card. i don't know it it's fast. it is for documentation purposes. anyway, i have my windows 7 ultimate installer in an 8gb-usb drive. how do i install the OS? because in this guide, it is for computers with existing programs. thanks. badly need your help, guys. i need a step-by-step process. thanks again
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Put the USB stick in the PC, boot the PC into the bios (usually you press delete to enter the bios, but it may be F2, F10, or F12 also), make sure the USB stick is the 1st boot device, then save and reboot the system.

Once it boots, follow the prompts to install Windows like you normally would.
  • edited August 2010
    Thank you, RyderOCZ. OH, this is my first time to ever install an OS. Obviously scared. If it fails, may I be able to do it again?

As they mentioned above, I need to download some ISO softwares. I do not need to do that since my set is new, do I?

I also need to have a partition in my 320gb hdd into 160gb each. I think that happens in the installation process and I have to check the OPTIONS part. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.
  • edited August 2010
    Geez... Lost my follow up comment.. Anyway...

Thank you for that RyderOCZ.
    It is my first time ever to install an OS.

If by any chance the installation would be a failure, it is possible to do it again, right?

Also, I would like to have 2 parts for my 320gb hdd into 160gb each. One for the program Files and the other for my personal files. I think it will appear in the Windows Installation as I go along, right? Somewhere, it has OPTIONS. Just can't picture it out the way my friend described the process to me.

"Once it boots, follow the prompts to install Windows like you normally would."
    > Do I need to boot the CDRom and the HDD as well or what?

Thanks. I am taking down notes.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    not to take away from Thrax's guide, which is awesome in it's own right...

but I just used this last night:

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool\

You DO need your Windows 7 .ISO you DID download from Microsoft when you BOUGHT windows 7 online. :)
  • edited August 2010
    How will I be able to use Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool\ when my computer is brand new? it has no softwares at all.
  • edited November 2010
    Thank you for your guide. Here is very simple plan:

1. download the hp usb format tool
    2. Format as suggested in this guide
    3. Use the Windows 7 USB tool
    4. Bingo, no error. Try it, it would work.
  • edited January 2011
    thanks EZ as
  • edited February 2011
    How much space is required. I have an 8GB memory stick, but it has only around 4GB left...Can't delete important files though. Is that enough to install win 7?
  • edited February 2011
    "MBRwiz /disk=1 /active=1 "command gives
    Error 105: "Invalid or incomplete switch: /disc=1".....any idea how to resolve this?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    It's /disk=1, not /disc=1.
  • edited April 2011
    hey Thrax please help
    every time i tried to do first step cd Desktop/MBRWiz it told me invailed or incomplete switch: /
    what should i do please help i need this win 7 badly
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    if you saved the file in the a folder on your desktop called mbrwiz, your commands would look like this
    cd %username%\Desktop\MBRWiz
    mbrwiz /list

• edited April 2011
    Hey, I'm also having the "error 105: invalid or incomplete switch: /active=1" yes I spelled disk correctly, it looks like it's because of the 'command line parameters may have been changed in version 3.0" (MBRWiz) Is the fix to get the older version of mbrwiz?
    edited April 2011
    Hey, I'm also having the "error 105: invalid or incomplete switch: /active=1" yes I spelled disk correctly, it looks like it's because of the 'command line parameters may have been changed in version 3.0" (MBRWiz) Is the fix to get the older version of mbrwiz?
    I think you probably need to drop the =1 on /active

Source
  • edited April 2011
    I actually got past that, running v2.0b right now in vista with the download that's for xp/98 but I want to install 64bit windows 7 on a new machine, and this current (old) build is on 32-bit vista. How can I create a 64-bit ISO as you stated before step four?? the help is greatly appreciated
    edited April 2011
    I actually got past that, running v2.0b right now in vista with the download that's for xp/98 but I want to install 64bit windows 7 on a new machine, and this current (old) build is on 32-bit vista. How can I create a 64-bit ISO as you stated before step four?? the help is greatly appreciated
    Thrax wrote:
    If you’re running a 32-bit copy Windows and want to configure a Windows 7 x64 flash drive, repeat steps 1-3 with a 32-bit Windows 7 ISO, then mount a 64-bit ISO for step 4.
    He states in the preparation that you already need to have an ISO in your possession. We can only recommend legally obtaining such things, but what matters the most is not the ISO you get, but that you have a valid key. Use your search button.
  • edited June 2011
    Ive noticed with a lot of you guys, make sure ever comman line you type is exact same as file you looking for. everthing is case sensative, like when your working the MBRWiz file a lot of you are typing MBRwiz which is wrong cause in the file name the w is capital...this guide works great if you use common sense and follow the guide
  • edited June 2011
    Don't know if this is valid, but it worked for me. I used PeToUSB (google it)with option enable LBA and enable disk format, then used magiciso to mount the win7iso, extracted bootsect.exe and used bootsect /nt60 F: option. Then used copy to copy the contents of the iso to the drive. It was a 4GB flash and it has 1.4gb free.
  • edited July 2011
    Lets hope this will work!:) I am now copying the iso^^ It gonna take about 45mins:( ANyway thanks for the help and i hope it will work since, in this tutorial, i have gotten the furthest:D
  • edited July 2011
    i did everything right, when i reboot my bios just loads like normal, even if its set to boot the removable disk first. i have xp 32 bit sp3, brand new mobo
    edited July 2011
    i did everything right, when i reboot my bios just loads like normal, even if its set to boot the removable disk first. i have xp 32 bit sp3, brand new mobo

Then you didn't do something right ...
  • edited August 2011
    thank you very much for this article. it's the first decent, step by step tutorial for the slightly less tech-genius that i've read. massively helpful and has really made my win7 tablet install a pleasure. thank you.
  • edited September 2011
    Dude, thanks... It was straight forward, it is a great tuto!!!
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks man this was really helpful. Worked like a charm on my old crappy windows XP OS. My DVD rom was out of order so have been trying a whole lot of methods to make my pen bootable, and at last I found this! Long live bro :):)
  • The (MBRWiz/list) command will not work! When I type it in, the following comes up: "'MBRWiz' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." What do I do? I'm running Windows XP.
  • First open cmd in run and use cd to go to the directory where you saved MBRWiz and type MBRWiz /list then so on and on.
  • To anybody have trouble with MBRWizard: Make sure you check the online documentation for changed commands!! I had to change MBRWizard /Disk=1 /Active=1 to read MBRWizard /Disk=1 /Active

It didn't work in the format specified in the tutorial, so make sure you check your documentation! Other than that, thanks for the tutorial!