Team 93 goes from 33 --> 34

TushonTushon I'm scared, CoachAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited October 2010 in Folding@Home
So we just moved down a slot to a team called whoopass and the team "China Folding@home Power" is going to overtake sooner rather later. We need to energize our base, as we have only 65 active folders. WTF. What can we do? A frontpage write up? I'm sure many of these people already leave their computers on ...

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    We try that often; the most recent was only last month:

http://tech.icrontic.com/guides/what-is-foldinghome-a-refresher/

That was on the front page.

Perhaps, take that article and pimp it out to your social networks (Facebook? Twitter?)

Spread the word. That article is a great jumping point.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I gave up folding once I had to pay for my own electricity.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I think my electricity bill went up about $50 when i added an entire dedicated folding box, but it's worth it since I don't do enough other things for the world (by my own measure, everyone sets their own standards)

Yeah I remember seeing the refresher ... I'll throw it out to my friends and offer free configuration or something.
  • custompcmaxcustompcmax Minnesota
    edited August 2010
    I'll throw out a tweet about my joining today! See if I can convince anyone else to join this team.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I started folding again. That should fix it right?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Feh... I have 2 computers in my house running 24/7 and my water and electric combined rarely top $100/mo. Usually in the $80/mo. range. Really have a hard time believing that it's using that much juice.
  • custompcmaxcustompcmax Minnesota
    edited August 2010
    Well, not to argue too much... but a computer at idle uses a fair bit less power than one running full throttle. Especially when you start getting into high end CPUs/GPUs and multi-GPU setups. The power draw can get pretty outrageous.

That said, your bill is really low... you must not use A/C or something. My electric bill is about 150 each month in the summer, that is running window A/C units. I expect now that I am folding, that to jump even more (we will see how much).
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, my central air unit is busted and I haven't seen the need to fix it. My house gets a lot of shade so a couple window fans generally keeps things cool enough to be livable.

That said, I don't fold on my GPU (HD5770, really no point folding on it since it's not truly supported yet) and my other computer idles during the day except when it is downloading podcasts or when I'm using it to watch said podcasts and other media. All I really have cranking away is my Phenom II X4.
    edited August 2010
    Not having AC running is what makes your AC low. 100+ weather in Dallas for the last several weeks makes that shit expensive.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    Not having AC running is what makes your AC low.
    Yea, you can't get much lower than off. ICWUDT
    edited August 2010
    Lol.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Added a full time quady for us last night. Will have a fermi+dual running 40 hrs a week starting next week.

My power bill is going to go from 25/mo up to maybe 35/mo at most.
  • sgstairsgstair Reverse Engineer Redmond, WA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    I just noticed the other day that my boxes weren't folding... Cleaned them up last night and full speed ahead!
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    My APC battery backup has a meter that shows how much wattage is being used. When my quad (now dual due to 2 failed video cards) GPU folding PC is running, it uses 350 watts for itself, the 80 GB hard drive, a 9650 Phenom quad core, its fans, and 2 8800GTs.

350 watts X 24 hours = 8.4 Kilowatts per day. Which netted me around 10,000-14,000 PPD.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    My long term plan is not to get the team to a massive ppd but get it to a stabilized ppd that will keep it in the top 100. This is because if you look at the teams that are going to over take us the one we have the best chance of stopping is still 120k ppd over us, which would be impossible to increase our numbers in a month unless we picked up a cluster of servers or people dropped some major change on folding.

I want to get the team to a point where if we have one or two members go down for a period of time we will stay at or above 350k ppd, by members I mean the heavy producers. Right now with our production numbers we will level out the 50's globally. With just Leo and a half dozen other major producers on the team we would end up staying above rank 80 for the team.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    I think I remember Team Icrontic being #12 or #13 several years ago. Before there were any GPU clients, and not much in the way of multi-core, either. P4 Hyper-Threading was about it then.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Tim wrote:
    I think I remember Team Icrontic being #12 or #13 several years ago. Before there were any GPU clients, and not much in the way of multi-core, either. P4 Hyper-Threading was about it then.

I think you're right. :fold:
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Might be my fault - alot of my units unfolded when we moved recently. Most of it went down the drain, but the rest is still stinking up the back of the Honda.
    edited September 2010
    China, Vietnam, Poland, and the Dutch are all going to pass us in the next 3 months. I think I'm okay with entire countries outperforming us.
    edited October 2010
    foldingx.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Interesting that Vietnam, Poland, and Ukraine are going to over take us, but Russia (55) is not. I do find it interesting that a team called "Pleasuredome Community" is going to overtake eventually. Pleasuredome? Some new fetish I haven't heard of? I'm scared to even search for that while at work.