The Official Folding@Home Gauntlet Thread II

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Back to the gauntlet! I've been crunching away and hit #70 today!

I'm adding a GTX 465 to my gaming rig (and selling my XFX 5770) and replacing my Phenom IIx4 940 with a 965 and moving the 940 to replace the Athlon IIx2 in my server. Moar folding power!

I'll be crushing some people shortly, including, but not limited to:
    artichoke1.jpg
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    Yes, yes. What can I say. I don't have the discretionary income to put into folding that some people around here seem to have :P

Damn mortgage.

and student loans.
    edited September 2010
    I only have it because of my student loans. I got my whole aid package this semester (because I am graduating in Dec), so I payed off all my credit card debt and bought the mentioned products.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited September 2010
    oooOOOO financial smack downs!
    edited September 2010
    No one completed Challenge 7, though we did have 1 new person join.
    edited September 2010
    I tried to get two different people to do it but they both kept making excuses about not having time for me to remote in and set it up for them.
    edited September 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    I only have it because of my student loans. I got my whole aid package this semester (because I am graduating in Dec), so I payed off all my credit card debt and bought the mentioned products.

Have fun paying that money back for the next 20 year ;P
    edited September 2010
    Pshh. I figured out that with the job I'm going to have at the end of the semester, if I continue living in a similar manner, I will pay off everything in 2 years. Double financial smackdown!
    edited September 2010
    Do you actually have said job for sure? If so... lucky you.

If not... HAHAHAHAHA good luck! I thought the same thing but here I am making half what I thought I would be.
    edited September 2010
    It is in the works and I already know the person I'll be replacing (because she is getting fired). Hopefully this just works and I'll skip the whole "bad economy" thing by working for the FDIC beating up banks for not playing right

Got the 465 folding today, will be upgrading procs this weekend!
    edited September 2010
    Both procs replaced (it only took a single power off [to install the proc] and one power on and reboot) and folding again. See sig for update.

Also, I have pushed into the #4 producer spot and will stay there indefinitely :wink:
    top.png 21.2K
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited September 2010
    Is there an optimal way to run a CPU + GPU folding client for a X4 and 4870?
    ps - can the folding client damage a GPU?
    edited September 2010
    I lost points while trying to fold with my 5770 and phenom IIx4 940. I would get your SMP client setup and see what it does, then look at the GPU guide for getting it setup. There are apparently environment variables you can set to help GPU folding but I ended up getting a GTX 465 anyways.
    edited September 2010
    The Tushon train is running over ardi in under a week! Don't worry, I'll be gentle.

Also, TylerDurden folds, even though he is a figment of the imagination. He is just that awesome.

overtake.png
    edited September 2010
    Just wait Tushon. I'll reclaim my former glory.... as soon as I save up enough money to buy the quad G34 board and 4 12-core Opterons to go with it. 48 cores of pure Tushon destruction. I conservatively estimate a daily output of 45-50k in addition to my approx 8k currently. :P
    edited September 2010
    That's scary, but I encourage you.
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I encourage me as well.... but I know it won't happen (at least not any time soon). Quad G34 boards cost ~$700 and each 12-core Opteron costs at least $750... for the slowest ones (1.9GHz). Granted I could just buy the board and 1 processor and run it like that until I have money to buy more. Rolling upgrades if you will, but where's the fun in that? o_O
    edited October 2010
    You should of noticed that I kind of skipped last months challenge because I was busy and decided to give a by month.
    edited October 2010
    Challenge 9(I think). Runs from the 28th through next month to the 4th. This folding challenge is to increase your PPD. We have been doing really well as a team lately. There are a few times back on our radar that we will overtake eventually and our active count is back up some, it is sitting around 70-80 though I would love to see it at 100+. Over the past few weeks our average has been slipping so lets have everyone make sure your clients are still up and stable and maybe there is an OC to tune up here or there. This is primarily an upkeep challenge, keep your folding maxed.

I am only tracking the people who hit on the top 20 producers but if you want to be considered PM me the folding name you use on Team 93 and I will track it.
    edited October 2010
    ;_;

My ppd is on a downward trend. Update to Ubuntu 10.10 has broken the F@H client again. Stanford doesn't seem to be making any effort to keep it updated either. 10.04 also broke it and the community had to come up with hackish ways to fix it.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Found this tutorial on how to fix folding problems with ubuntu.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    My new AMD quad is bringing in way more PPD than I thought it would. Must be those point bonus things. I was bummed that my 8800 finally died and I lost GPU folding, but the quad more than made up for my losses.

I've also got IC11 folding again, because I'm a madman. It may never finish a WU, though, because now that I finally found some new RAM for it, the HD is dying. Point being, it's running Ubuntu 10.10, and so far so good with the classic client. Too bad the mobo also has serious issues and won't run the CPU faster than 1600 MHz (when it'll do 2200+). Not that even then it's really worth the watts/PPD.

BTW, I'm super proud of myself for getting Ubuntu updated on that box. IC11 has been sitting in storage for two and half years. The old board won't boot USB, and I don't have an optical drive, so I had to mess with grub to get the Ubuntu 7.4 (Gutsy) kernel that was already on it to boot a USB stick. I AM A LINUX GOD.

Disclaimer: I am not a linux god
    edited October 2010
    shwaip wrote:
    Found this tutorial on how to fix folding problems with ubuntu.

Yeah, you want to try administering a few thousand Linux servers from a windows box? Windows doesn't even have an SSH client built in. It would be a total PITA for me to run Windows at work.
    edited October 2010
    Couldn't you just virtualize a linux install through windows?
    edited October 2010
    Yeah... cuz that wouldn't be a complete and utter waste of resources.
    edited October 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    ;_;

My ppd is on a downward trend. Update to Ubuntu 10.10 has broken the F@H client again. Stanford doesn't seem to be making any effort to keep it updated either. 10.04 also broke it and the community had to come up with hackish ways to fix it.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=14782#p145834

Does that fix only work with 10.04? I don't have 10.10 installed anywhere to test it.
    edited October 2010
    Are the Ubuntu problems with SMP or GPU (or both)?
    edited October 2010
    I know that he is specifically referring to SMP, but I am not sure if GPU is also broken. It does not appear so from looking at http://www.fold4life.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2006. Though, I imagine you might want to use updated drivers (absolutely if you are using a fermi card). http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    edited October 2010
    Damn. Right now I'm having no problem with the classic client, but I'm thinking about getting my Opteron 165 (dual core) up and folding again.

Is this a Linux-wide problem, or just Debian-based distros?
    edited October 2010
    SMP is broken in 10.10. That fix only works for 10.04. The only workaround for 10.10 so far is to install wine and run the Windows SMP client in wine, which I haven't gotten around to doing.

There is no GPU client for Linux. The only way to run GPU under Linux is also by running it in wine. I tried this back when my workstation had an nvidia card in it (it now has a Radeon in it) but could never get it working. It involves significant hackery.