Banned Alcoholic Energy Drinks

WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited February 2011 in Food & Drink
Some of you may have already heard this, but many states, including Michigan, are banning alcoholic energy drinks, such as Four Loko and Joose. They contain a lot more alcohol than typical cans of beer, and have appealed to underage consumers.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/11/michigan-bans-boozy-caffeinated-energy-drinks/1

The list of beverages Michigan is banning:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dleg/Alcohol_Energy_Drink_Order_11_4_2010_337775_7.pdf

Joose%20and%20Four%20Maxed.gif

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    oh good now our underage citizens can't get alcohol!!!!
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I know, right?! I love that we (Andrew, our roommate and I) went to 7-11 last night, we were all there, and purchased a couple of these to try. The only person carded was the purchaser. Although we are all of age, how do they know, and it is already so easy to buy for minors!

Now, I guess I will have to settle for Stoli Blueberry and Redbull. ;) Pretty much the same thing as these things... they are just pre-mixed in a can!
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Having spent a night drinking these things, I don't know why anybody would willingly drink them more than once.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Four Lokos only need to kick my ass once.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    These just seem like a bad idea in general.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    It's super difficult to mix Red Bull into liquor on your own. Thank goodness we're protected now.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I also contend that outright banning things only leads to the intrigue. Oh lord have mercy, lets not teach our kids how to be responsible, but instead pique their curiosity!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    encouraging excessive consumption, while mixing alcohol with various other chemical and herbal stimulants

;D;D;D
    A typical alcoholic energy drink is about 24 ounces with a 12% alcohol content, which means it has almost three to four times the alcohol contained in a standard 12-ounce can of beer with 4% to 5% alcohol.

:wtf:
    edited November 2010
    can we just ban people having kids?

or

can we just give everyone a gun and let nature decide who's still standing

or

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Laws like this, they get the votes man.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    First Happy Meals, now boozed energy drinks.

/quit
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Tried a Four Loko the other night at a party. Tasted like cough syrup, no way I could finish a whole can unless I was challenged to shotgun it.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Annes wrote:
    Tried a Four Loko the other night at a party. Tasted like cough syrup, no way I could finish a whole can unless I was challenged to shotgun it.

Challenge proposed.
    edited November 2010
    a-challenger-appears-13088-1250805654-10.jpg?1256377226
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Perhaps its my simple mind, but why would anyone want to mix heavy stimulants with depresants? It just seems counter intuitive to me?
    edited November 2010
    I would imagine so you can get drunk without feeling sleepy. I never do it myself.
    edited November 2010
    Perhaps its my simple mind, but why would anyone want to mix heavy stimulants with depresants? It just seems counter intuitive to me?

Caffeine dramatically increases the metabolism of alcohol. TL;DR: Get crunk quicker.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    When I drink Stoli/Redbull, I am done after 3 drinks. Completely wasted.
    edited November 2010
    I'll stick with just droppin the shot glass into a pint of domestic brew, you know, if time is of the essance.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    why would anyone want to mix heavy stimulants with depresants?
    Because caffeine/stimulants mask ethanols depressant effects, effectively making you feel 'sober' for longer.

Little different with MDMA where a small amount of alcohol can allegedly be helpful by lowering the body temperature and inhibiting vasopressin and with cocaine were metabolism in the presense of alcohol produces cocaethylene, a powerful stimulant in it's own right.
    Thrax wrote:
    Caffeine dramatically increases the metabolism of alcohol. TL;DR: Get crunk quicker.

Never heard of that interaction.
    Regardless, since intoxication is a product of high levels of blood ethanol, not ethanal, any increase in metabolism by ADH would have a sobering effect.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Caffeine dramatically aids in the ingestion of just about anything you mix it with; hence why beans (slang for MDMA based drugs) sometimes have caffeine in them and why these drinks get you messed up so fast.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I propose, rather than a law banning such drinks (natural selection really would handle the 'issue' with people who like this crap), we create a law that mandates immediate termination (or at least sterilization) of anyone that flogs the 'THINK OF THE CHILDREN' straw man in any public forum.

I'm so tired of the "It's attractive to minors!" argument, I want to pimpslap everyone who ever says it.

It's an alcoholic beverage. I don't care if they put Hello Kitty stickers all over it and advertise it using laughing babies. It's still an alcoholic beverage which can only be consumed legally by those of age in their respective jurisdiction.

It's the Joe Camel and South Park arguments all over again.
    edited November 2010
    It's alcohol. It'd be attractive to minors if it had Hello Kitty stickers or vowed chemical castration.
    edited November 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    chemical castration.
    Sounds rad, bro. Can you hook me up?
    edited November 2010
    Er, sorry, wait. Let me try again:

dude thats awesum hook me up?
    edited November 2010
    I remember Chuck D taking a stand against Malt Liquor adds that were targeted for an urban audience. I did not think he was wrong in his assertions at the time. I suppose I can see this argument in a similar fashion. I'm not saying you regulate it by banning it, but its fair for consumer groups to come out and call it what it is.

It's JOOSE!! Come on, who is that for.... We all know its not for us.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    pigflipper wrote:
    Caffeine dramatically aids in the ingestion of just about anything you mix it with
    Wut?

How does mixing caffeine with something dramatically aid in eating/drinking/swallowing it?
    hence why beans (slang for MDMA based drugs) sometimes have caffeine in them and why these drinks get you messed up so fast.
    Caffeine's would be a common cutting agent for MDMA regardless of any effect on ingestion, it's cheap, readily available and has similar (if milder) effects.
    Same goes for BZP/TFMPP/Ephedrine/Pseudoephedrine.

And on topic:
    <object height="385" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r4c-rSmBjEw?fs=1&hl=en_GB&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="640"></object>

:D
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    lincoln wrote:
    i would imagine so you can get drunk without feeling sleepy. I never do it myself.

caps
    neither do i never do this ever

on another note hi lincoln how are you how have you been
    /caps

ps - fuku jokekiller capsfilter
    edited November 2010
    guys, I think these alcoholic energy drinks are sending out the wrong idea to kids...

disney.png?w=8c0ed095
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Energy drinks in general are a bad idea. I've heard reports of kidney damage from people who drink them a lot.

And the entire concept of an energy drink is flawed in the first place. If your life is so hectic that you NEED an energy drink to get through the day, then you need to stop what you are doing and get some rest. Some things need to be cut out of your schedule entirely so you can get a good nights' sleep.

I have never had an energy drink and I never will.