The Official Folding@Home Gauntlet Thread II

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Damn. Right now I'm having no problem with the classic client, but I'm thinking about getting my Opteron 165 (dual core) up and folding again.

Is this a Linux-wide problem, or just Debian-based distros?
    I think it is a debian issue, but the 10.04 fix was not hard to implement.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited October 2010
    Except that the 10.04 fix doesn't work anymore.

It's not just debian/ubuntu either. I've seen reports of it on Fedora Core and Arch as well. I think I recall Suse having problems too. The issue seems to be that the kernel and gcc have both progressed significantly and the folding client hasn't been updated (or at least recompiled) to keep up.
    edited October 2010
    ardichoke wrote:
    Except that the 10.04 fix doesn't work anymore.

It's not just debian/ubuntu either. I've seen reports of it on Fedora Core and Arch as well. I think I recall Suse having problems too. The issue seems to be that the kernel and gcc have both progressed significantly and the folding client hasn't been updated (or at least recompiled) to keep up.
    That sounds accurate. Sad day.
    edited October 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    That sounds accurate. Sad day.

Indeed. The worst part is that F@H is a relatively simple program. It probably literally just needs to be recompiled with the new version of gcc so that it is linked with updated libraries properly.
    edited October 2010
    Double sad day, because it ain't open source. I guess they don't want competing distributed computing taking their IP! Mine!
    edited November 2010
    Finally back up to my normal production levels (or at least I should be starting today). My workstation was in dire need of reimaging.... mostly because I'm too lazy to go through and selectively clean up the things I've broken/tweaked resulting in poor performance. Installed Arch instead of Ubuntu. Oh look... F@H works under Arch still.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Finally got the folding hall of heroes up to date.
    edited November 2010
    I can't believe I raised my PPD. I updated drivers on server and it reset settings for SLI and shit and I spent a good couple days with it not working then my 465 kept hiccuping on WUs. Meh.

Edit: maybe that occurred outside of the challenge period. derp
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I gave up trying to get my laptop to fold. Lately, I've had the SMP client lose all of its progress on a WU after I shut it down and restart it (with no acknowledgement in the log at all). On my laptop, I have to do that regularly, so it wasn't worth losing WUs that take 2 days to finish on an older C2D.

Turning on the GPU client on my home rig made up for the points loss, though. :D
    edited November 2010
    That is weird. I can shutdown/restart on my desktop (which I do every few days) without any issues on WU. I would say maybe it's a data write delay issue, but you shouldn't lose all progress. Very strange.
    edited November 2010
    The weirdest thing is that it's not like the computer crashed and the WU fails integrity checks. It's just the next time it starts, it starts at 0% without saying anything out of the ordinary is going on. Happened on my desktop once, too.

Oh well. Both of my desktops are stable now and rarely need to be restarted, so no big deal I guess.
    edited November 2010
    The only guess I would have would be possibly permissions related (though that still doesn't make sense). You could try moving the client into a public folder and running it from there as a service then seeing what happens.
  • edited November 2010
    Just wanted to inform everyone that in just under 2 weeks I will be going away for 2 whole months and because my house is going to be rented out, I will not be able to leave my desktop folding for the time I am away (sorry :(). If anyone below me wishes to overtake me, that time is your best chance! As when I get back I will hopefully be able to get a overclock on my cpu.
    edited November 2010
    Challenge 10: Runs November 22th, Monday, to November 30th, a Tuesday. This challenge will be to add a folding client to your number of currently active folding clients as tracked by stanford(example). I will be using the number of active clients within 7 days. I will create a list of active clients at the start and end of the period.

Again this will only be done for the top 20 producers, I do allow write-ins by means of posting here that you accept the challenge stating your folding name for Icrontic or PM me your folding name and that you accept the challenge. We are drawing near to the first year of folding hero challenges, only two more left after this month.
    edited November 2010
    Time to borg one of the office computers :D
    edited November 2010
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Time to borg one of the office computers :D

Ack, only one more day to get in on this. I failed the borging of the office comp, which is just as well as the P4 in it probably wouldn't produce enough to make it worthwhile to burn even someone else's electricity. Working on an alternate strategy...
    edited November 2010
    Hey, I loaded clients up on 3 P4s. They made a nice compliment to a 2.33GHz core2 that I threw an SMP on, 1k+ plus for the core2 and about 450 across all the P4s.

Yes the P4s are horrible at folding now with the current WUs but I look at it more in the sense how much production can I pick to cover me playing video games or doing programming work so my production dips are equal to my old high production days.
    edited December 2010
    Challenge 10 is done: Leonardo, Enisada, Lordbean, Gargoy*BW*, Wei_Yang, vid, drasnor all completed the challenge. They all only increased their active clients by 1, while I rocked it hard with adding 4 clients.

Our top 3 folders with the most clients are: DanG(26), Leo(16), and _k_(13). Chew on that for a bit.
    edited December 2010
    I got someone folding, just not under my name! So there!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I built a Netflix streaming box for my TV at my folks' place, saw the challenge, and installed FAH. It's an overclocked Athlon XP Mobile.
    edited December 2010
    _k_ wrote:
    while I rocked it hard with adding 4 clients for a magnificent 1k ppd
    edited December 2010
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28697&stc=1&d=12914193855

Should be good for a couple thousand PPD. :D
    edited December 2010
    Gargoyle wrote:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=28697&stc=1&d=12914193855

Should be good for a couple thousand PPD. :D
    A minor challenger :p. It's sad that ATI has such terrible production (for now, at least). One day, devs will release the openCL version of F@H and their production will go up (dramatically?).
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    A minor challenger :p. It's sad that ATI has such terrible production (for now, at least). One day, devs will release the openCL version of F@H and their production will go up (dramatically?).

True. I just got this one to match the identical card I have at home so I can Crossfire them one day. I was afraid that this particular model would go out of production soon, so I got it while it was on sale.

It seems like they promised an OpenCL version a long time ago, now. And according to the FAQ, none of the clients work on the 6000-series Radeons at all right now. ATI needs some love too, guys.
    edited December 2010
    Ugh I would have sold you mine for $100 with a lifetime warranty!
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    Ugh I would have sold you mine for $100 with a lifetime warranty!

Well damn. I'll be in touch if I get a board that can do 3-way Crossfire :D
    edited December 2010
    Challenge 11: Show your dedication by having a folding client under your Team 93 folding name turn in 300 WUs without being restarted or shut down. You can do this using HFM.NET, it will track how many units a client has turned in since it was started(pausing does not affect this count). To get credit simply post/PM a screen cap of it during the challenge period or PM me that you have done this and current count of completed WUs. This is on the honor system. Challenge period is December 25th to December 31st.

This is the second to last challenge boys and girls, remember you need to complete 6 folding challenges out of the 12 to get credit for the year and get a free t-shirt. Check out this thread in regards to this.
    edited December 2010
    Where does it show that in HFM?
    edited December 2010
    hfm example.png

Right hand side of the screen cap it says "Complete" and "Failed", you need to the complete number to be 300 or better.
    edited December 2010
    Oh, I thought those were just number of completed for that WU type, but I see that you're right after double-checking its math.

Welp, I won't be getting this one. I restarted my rigs last week to do some Windows updates.