Finally Dedicated to a Fitness Plan

WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Fitness
So after Magic's many failed attempts at getting healthy and losing weight (mainly due to my past lack of motivation and bad influence), we have finally decided to start a diet and exercise plan together. We began last week Monday (November 7). I'm finally motivated to get rid of this extra weight I put on after losing a regular work/school schedule once I started online school and lost my job. We also both want to look sexy on our wedding day and feel better about ourselves. :)

We joined the best gym in Grand Rapids, the YMCA (Luckily I was accepted for a discounted rate). Our fitness plan involves Mon/Wed/Fri weight training, focusing on 2 areas each day, and Tues/Thurs/Sat we do 30-60 minutes of cardio. Andrew typically likes to run or cycle, and I like to use the elliptical. We may also do spinning sometimes.

We are still fine-tuning our diet, and calculating what we want to eat. For breakfast, I eat Special K red berries cereal and Stoneyfield blueberry yogurt, for snacks I will eat light string cheese (surprisingly healthy!), an apple, or nuts. Lunch and dinner tend to be similar, usually eating a chicken breast and veggies (in forms of stir fry, grilled, or other concoctions I come up with), and sometimes rice, but usually only the extra carbs for lunch, and not with dinner. I have also made stuffed peppers, chili, etc. for some meals. Trying to cook with lean protein (chicken, ground sirloin, turkey, etc.), low carbs, and fresh vegetables.

Current weight: 175
Pant Size: 11/12

Goal weight: 130 (may go lower once I achieve this)
Goal pant size: 6
(was this size and weight just 2 years ago!)

I'll try to get Andrew to contribute here too.

:)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I would strongly, strongly recommend avoiding any and all cereal. Even the so-called "healthy" cereals are packed with enzymes that make those whole wheats every bit as bad for you as a sugary cereal like coco puffs. Hell, most of the "healthy" cereals are packed with a certain content of sugar and processed flour that are virtually guaranteed to spike your insulin levels. Spiked insulin levels means your body is not burning fat for energy.

The same goes for all yogurts EXCEPT for very specific brands of Greek yogurt.

When you need carbs, you need to keep it simple: fibrous vegetables, no more than 1 piece of fruit per day, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, Barilla PLUS wheat pasta cooked al dente, quinoa, 2% milk, 2% cottage cheese and bulgur.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Yea... I'm considering giving up the cereal. I just love it so much as part of my morning routine. I also don't care for the texture of Greek yogurt. This is the yogurt I love: http://www.stonyfield.com/stonyfield/organic_yogurt/low_fat/32_oz_/blueberry/index.jsp

Andrew and I were surprised to find out that Barilla PLUS has less carbs than whole wheat pasta, and really any pasta. I prefer the taste and texture to others... but pasta has so many carbs... limiting ourselves to 100 carbs per day. I'll have to try out my roommate's quinoa. Never tried it before.
    edited November 2010
    Barilla PLUS is just one of the many options available for wholesome carbohydrates. More important to the discussion of carbohydrates, it's the only legitimately healthy pasta that's widely available. It's a good choice for someone eating a 40p/30c/30f diet, maybe not for someone who's eating closer to 50p/15c/35f.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Is there a Greek yogurt reference list?
    edited November 2010
    1. Chobani non-fat, plain Greek yogurt.
    2. See 1.

Add Splenda to suit.
    edited November 2010
    No Fage 0%? Balls. It so much more tasty that Chobani.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I believe that actually, the Dannon Greek yogurt is better than the Chobani (less sugar). I eat the Chobani, though, because it's the only Greek yogurt I've been able to find in a big container. The dannon only comes in 5oz cups, which makes it way more expensive.

I've heard good things about the Greek yogurt from Trader Joes, it's just too far away from me to bother going to. I can get the Chobani at Target in big tubs right next door.
    edited November 2010
    Annes wrote:
    No Fage 0%? Balls. It so much more tasty that Chobani.

I haven't looked at the nutrition facts on that. I would recommend just going to the store and getting whatever brand has the least amount of sugar in it, which of course means avoiding anything but the plain stuff.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Just get plain and add some fruit/splenda or honey to sweeten.
    edited November 2010
    I love the taste of plain greek yogurt. Flavoring is for sissies.

Also, trying to get Eli on board for planning stuff like this is like pulling teeth.

Good luck!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    I can just imagine Eli's response:

"Why plan? Just eat less and move more. What? Just do it. I dunno."
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2010

"Why plan? Just eat less and hang upside down from shit more."

FTFY
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2010

"Why plan? Just eat less and move more. What? Just do it. I dunno."

I approve of this plan.
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    WagsFTW wrote:
    Andrew typically likes to run or cycle, and I like to use the elliptical.

Clearly dancing/singing is a superior form of cardio - Bed Intruder the pounds away!
    edited November 2010
    I like what you're thinking! :)
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    Sounds like someone needs a calorie-based Endomondo challenge for December. :)
    edited November 2010
    That would be awesome! Good idea!
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited November 2010
    WagsFTW wrote:
    That would be awesome! Good idea!

DONE
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    1. Chobani non-fat, plain Greek yogurt.
    2. See 1.

Add Splenda to suit.

Tried some of this stuff. Added honey, vanilla, berries, granola, etc... still tasted a little like sour cream. Not sure it's worth the hassle. Might shop around more. Not really worth trying to eat something I don't like at all. There are other alternatives, and I can just not eat yogurt for breakfast.
    edited December 2010
    I might need some recommendations for different workouts. I HATE lifting weights with the giant bar (clean and press, etc.). I just have a difficult time controlling the weight on it, and it makes me very nervous to use them. I've tried a couple of machines that do the same thing (although you aren't using as many muscles, not using free weights).

Also, I've been reconsidering my weight lifting plan, and how my exercise routine is planned out. Should I be doing the same weight lifting routines as Andrew? Should I have a different focus, since I am a woman? I want to get lean, and haven't lost much weight yet. I am looking better, but no actual loss of weight. I may have to do some research on women's fitness. Any recommendations?
    edited December 2010
    Men and women should be undertaking exactly the same fitness routines. If you're not losing weight, you need to better monitor your diet (calories and macronutrients) and make sure you're combining cardio+lifting 4 days a week.

The only differences between women and men when it comes to fitness is their testosterone levels, which prevents bulkiness, and their genetics, which usually removes fat last from the hips and legs, rather than the gut in men.

As far as controlling the bar is concerned: It's a matter of form. If the weight doesn't feel stable, you need to focus on holding and moving the bar correctly, or you need to reduce the weight. Either way, it sounds like your minor muscles aren't sufficiently developed or being recruited properly.
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Men and women should be undertaking exactly the same fitness routines. If you're not losing weight, you need to better monitor your diet (calories and macronutrients) and make sure you're combining cardio+lifting 4 days a week.

The only differences between women and men when it comes to fitness is their testosterone levels, which prevents bulkiness, and their genetics, which usually removes fat last from the hips and legs, rather than the gut in men.

I will disagree with this slightly- if you're losing inches but not weight yet it doesn't mean that you're doing something wrong, but that you may be converting fat to muscle. Since muscle weighs more than fat your actual scale number may not change. If the scale doesn't change for an extended period of time or you aren't losing inches then you're doing it wrong, but I know that when I started working out there was a solid month where I lost no weight at all but I dropped by body fat % by a solid amount.
    edited December 2010
    Every woman that wants to lose weight needs to read this thread.
    1. Use your common sense.... Your female associate is not hugely different to you. Being female doesn't mean she can't eat normal people foods and train with normal 'big people' weights. She doesn't need to do 100000 reps to 'tone' and she doesn't need to eat 'rice cakes and celery sticks' to 'lose weight'.
    2. there is no such thing as just 'toning' < If she wishes to look good nakid, she needs to LIFT to create dense, thick MUSCLE and DIET to LOSE FAT...
    3. read point 2 again....
    4. please....
    5. she is not going to 'get bulky' accidently...
    6. read point 5 again... please?
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Every woman that wants to lose weight needs to read this thread.

Thanks...forwarded link to wifey...
    edited December 2010
    Well, something must be working, because I lost 5 pounds! :)
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Good work Sarah :)
    edited January 2011
    Things got a little hectic during the holidays, but I am finally on track again with visiting the gym regularly, and I found something new I am absolutely in love with. Zumba!

Meghann joined a smaller gym, not far from my current gym, which is cheaper, and they also offer classes. I signed up for a free trial to see if it would be something I am interested in first. We tried Zumba last week Wednesday, and had a blast! Finally, cardio and core-building, I enjoy! The teacher is a riot, and the dance moves are so much fun. So far, I have gone there on Wednesday and Friday last week (all one hour sessions), and Monday (she also teaches the Zumba classes at my current gym), and again today. I love it!

And since weighing myself last Wednesday versus today... drum roll... I lost 3 pounds in a week! I weighed 170 last week, and today I'm at 167.

Super excited for this new adventure! I highly recommend anyone to try Zumba (man or woman, old or young). It is so much fun, and such a great workout. My calves are killing me...
    edited January 2011
    Oh, and did I mention I was able to fit into my size 9 skinny jeans last Saturday? ;)
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Nice work, Wags! The gym at AMD offers zumba. I see posters for it everywhere.

Having fun while working out is an absolute must. I hate running, I really do. I manage to love it by listening to loud music, or by playing mental games. I'm the type that will create a rivalry in my head against the people around me, and I MUST perform to defeat them. Stupid as it sounds, it works every time.
    edited February 2011
    Wags, Magic! How's the sexy party going?