So I have a GTX460

danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
edited December 2010 in Folding@Home
My computer (and TV) had been stolen back at the beginning of October while I was gone for the weekend. Insurance gave me enough (after 1% deductible) to build a new computer.

I got me a eVGA GTX460 1GB and run the GPU client. While running, the video card makes a low whine (which I did a bit of search to find that is apparently normal).

I like how certain proteins give me 7200-7300 points (and run for 17-18 hours). Right now its folding an ordinary peptide that runs for 4-5 hours.

I don't run my computer 24/7, I just run it when I'm home. On the regular console client, I tend to go past the deadline on some of the units because of this (the one with 2,000,000 steps)

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    goooood. gooooooooood.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited December 2010
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=21682 Says that I turned in two at once worth 8,123 points last night. Is it possible for the video card to do that?
    edited December 2010
    Sure. If the last WU didn't turn in for some reason, it would get sent at the next checkpoint.
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    Sure. If the last WU didn't turn in for some reason, it would get sent at the next checkpoint.

Yeah, I did notice that a WU didn't get counted on the one before it.
    edited December 2010
    As a random question, how is your GPU usage doing?
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    As a random question, how is your GPU usage doing?

EVGA Precision says 98% usage, GPU temp jumped from 45C to 63C, fan speed slowly increases from 30% to 45%

LOL, I turn fan speed up to 100% and I get a cloud of dust from my computer, but it drops GPU temp from 63C to 52C

I'm kind of curious why it slowly speeds down the fan when in auto instead immediately slowing it down like it does when I take it off auto and set it to 100%
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Because that is the way it is written. It has to do with the fan profile, usually the duty cycle steps up quickly. The fan profile in the driver level takes a while to act, that is just the way it goes. You can some times change the cycle curve for a faster or slower response but isn't really needed.

If you want to get a little more technical this falls into hardware safety. As your temperature increases then increase cooling quickly, in an exponential fashion or a high value linear regression. But if the duty cycle on the fan is high then slowly adjust it back down to make sure the temperature doesn't jump back up thus protecting the hardware.
    edited December 2010
    my fricking cards are acting up again then. usage is all low and such. I should really stop tinkering with setting. Time for a driver clean and re-install
    edited December 2010
    Tushon wrote:
    my fricking cards are acting up again then. usage is all low and such. I should really stop tinkering with setting. Time for a driver clean and re-install

Memory usage is only 140MB. This is also the fan profile that I set up:
    edited December 2010
    It's not heat in my case. My 465 is running at 70% and 450 at ~45%. They should both be running much closer to 100. There is literally no (intentional) load on the 450 at any time to distract from F@H processing.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'm kind of curious why it slowly speeds down the fan when in auto instead immediately slowing it down like it does when I take it off auto and set it to 100%

The new 400 & 500 series use a new power cycle system on the cards, which now slowly throttles down the power being directed to the fans. Its not a bad thing, but not like it use to be either.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Leave your computer running all the time so it can fold more. It's not going to hurt anything.
    edited December 2010
    BTW, sledge, with a small exception, Fermi WUs have been running at 99% so put your 580s to work!