The The Great Icrontic Voyage Expedition - Project GIVE

BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
edited September 2011 in Minecraft
As mentioned in a previous post on the main Minecraft thread here, I was thinking about how cool it would be to have an organized expedition! Some small groups have already done this, and have come back with some great stories. Since the server can't support XBOX HEUG parties, I'm thinking that a 10-person max (or so) journey would be ideal, though the server may handle more (not sure). Unless someone thinks we need a sign-up list to limit too much on the server, I say just show up.

Please, announce "IN!" here if you're interested, just so we all have a general idea of public interest and rough head count.

Who: Flexible, but thinking 10 people at max due to server constraints
What: Exploration voyage across oceans, forests, mountains, and deserts
When: This Thursday, December 16 at 10pm Eastern, 7pm Pacific
Where: I made a crude (and possibly temporary) launch dock NW of town (by the Canti House of Pancakes town entrance). See image below. Just meet there.

lhdfw.png
Meet here. While not visible in this image, there's a crude dock to set sail from.

Pack supplies you think you'll need to survive a 3-5+ day voyage, but don't bring anything you'd miss dearly if you end up dying by falling into lava and losing all your stuff. A list of recommended items are...
  • Boat(s)
  • Compass
  • Pocket Watch
  • Iron Sword
  • Stone Pick (to remove temp shelters if we want to leave nothing behind)
  • Stone Shovel
  • Stone Axe
  • Iron or leather armor
  • Torches
  • Crafting table (for crafting more boats, tools)
  • Chest (to hold things in case someone dies)
  • Wood Logs or plank blocks (to make boats, tools)
  • Dirt/cobblestone for temp shelters
  • Food
  • Wheat (a stack of 64 can make 21 loaves of bread with crafting table)
As for how we're trecking, I figure we just point in a direction (I drew an arrow for a general direction that has yet to be explored much) and just go. If we hit a mountain, climb it. A desert? Cross it. An ocean? Build another boat and sail. No leaders, no plans, just exploring. And lulz.

Again, announce "IN!" here if you're interested, just so we all have a general idea of public interest and rough head count. Also, suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

UPDATE: moved to Thursday to avoid conflict with IC TF2.

Comments

• TonyRockyHorrorTonyRockyHorror Alexandria, VA
    edited December 2010
    In.

I would suggest carrying a stack of tree blocks rather than plank blocks. Storage efficiency is mch higher that way.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Seeing as I missed the initial start to the new server, I'd like to participate.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    This should be fun, if LOIE doesn't happen then I'm in.

If you are planning on staying above land (not cave exploring ect..) then the iron tools are not needed. Stone will work just as well and can be recreated when needed.

I would add a watch to the list also. When you hole up for the night it is nice to be able to see approximately how long you have before daylight.

Also typo in OP, today is the 13th, Wed is the 15th

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    I would actually suggest staying above ground and generally have a zero-to-low environmental impact on the first expedition. I'd like for the group expedition not turn into a big land grab and resource race, ya know?

I mean...keep some spots in mind for revisiting later, sure, but I'd hate for us to turn into a swarm of locusts! Haha!
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'm in if LOEI doesn't work out as well
    edited December 2010
    I, too, would like for this expedition not to devolve into a "build the biggest structure/raze the most land" pissing contest.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Update: brain fart and forgot about IC TF2. Moved to Thursday. I updated my other posts to reflect this change. Sorry for the confusion, but I hope this works out better for as many people as possible.

Also, this is just about running out into the wilderness. I personally have no plans on racing for land to build on or whatever. I just want to have the excitement of exploring, and hopefully coming back with rare agriculture like pumpkins and red flowers.
    edited December 2010
    I've actually been collecting red flowers so I can eventually make a replica of the dark tower from the Stephen King books :D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Is a watch better than a few half-height blocks to leave yourself a tiny window to the outside? Half-heights are reusable, so it's not like you're busting up glass or anything.

Just a thought. I don't even know how to build a watch.

Also, probably not in given the time difference, etc.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I would've been able to make it on Wednesday. :P
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Will expeditions like this, as cool as I think they are, make our world less manageable and more resource-intensive? As in, the server will perform worse?

I haven't looked into how the server works, but it's a concern?
    edited December 2010
    Not a concern. :) Don't worry about it.
    edited December 2010
    A pocket watch is optional, just recommended if you want to monitor the time without looking up all the time. Just a convenience. They're a little expensive though. Takes 4 gold bars and one red stone dust in the middle, formed in a + cross. So if you don't want to take one, it's understandable. Mainly because, yes, a high window works just fine. :D

On the server load: it should only make the .zip files bigger. Shouldn't affect load, since only the 64x64 chunks that someone is in or near are "active". If a chunk is left alone, it becomes unloaded and anything in it is frozen in time (including blocks/items spinning on the ground that should still be there when you return, vegetation doesn't grow, mobs don't spawn, etc).

For those that can't make it: I'm sorry, but I'm sure we'll be doing this again soon enough. I had to just pick a time that I thought would work for most people (not too late for the EST people, but at least after dinner for the Pacific-goers).
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Not a concern. :) Don't worry about it.

mkay :vimp:

In.
    edited December 2010
    Reminder that tonight is the Great Icrontic Voyage Expedition! Meet right at 10pm Eastern, 7pm Pacific at the docks outside of town near Canti's place. We'll chill for a few minutes in case people need to do some last-minute grabbing of things, but don't lollygag!

Speaking of Canti, he and Basil have both offered gear for the trip. Basil's basement has some chests that can help equip us, and Canti has a ton of "pancakes" (read: grilled pork) to keep us alive and well.
    edited December 2010
    Regarding preparation, here is a screenshot of all the gear I am bringing. It's pretty much a visual representation of the supplies list I have in the original post. I also added coal as a way of making more torches later.

89OfI.png

Of course, feel free to vary what you bring. But this'll get you there and back safely... and if you DO die, it's all low-value mundane gear that can be replaced easily. Also, don't forget that the 2x2 "Crafting" section of your inventory can be used to hold another 4 items for free, so be sure to use it!

The signpost is for leaving behind lulz.

See you at 10!
    edited December 2010
    I would suggest tree blocks instead of planks. You can carry much more wood that way.
    edited December 2010
    Wow, Basil you rock! Here's what his "Adventure Chest" holds in the basement of his house (he's next to Canti's House of Pancakes):

lNkf5.gif

So be sure to get your gear here and give him a big "thank you!" :D
    edited December 2010
    I would suggest tree blocks instead of planks. You can carry much more wood that way.

True, that would definitely give the most amount of wood per square... but all I've got right now are planks. I don't want to go log 64 blocks of logs, so I'll stick with this. I probably have enough wood here for my needs as it is anyways. :bigggrin:
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    True, that would definitely give the most amount of wood per square... but all I've got right now are planks. I don't want to go log 64 blocks of logs, so I'll stick with this. I probably have enough wood here for my needs as it is anyways. :bigggrin:

Haha, yeah. If planks is what ya gots, planks is what ya takes!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'm in.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Big success!!
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    Big success!!

One might say a blazing success? MIRight?

-Digi
    edited December 2010
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    One might say a blazing success? MIRight?

Yeah, no kidding...

LR8Ni.jpg

All together now... "JOEEEE!!!"

The burning carnage follows our return path, where we re-visited the forest fire Joe had originally started, then curved to the left and back up in a crescent of fiery destruction as Joe continued to play with his Zippo.

Hell, there's some trees still in the MIDDLE OF CATCHING ON FIRE in this image. I mean... damn... so much for "minimal effect on the landscape during our travels"... <:{
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    HAHAHA I bet that forest is still buring. CrazyJoe sure lived up to his name!!!! Man that was fun last night I hope we can do that again soon!!! and this time we will try to keep up with CB better. lol
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Ooops...
    edited December 2010
    I'll be sure to be conscious and have alcohol when the next one of these rolls around... Sorry about missing out, was still in recovery mode from finals week.
    edited December 2010
    Highlights: almost being drowned by idiotic water block placement in the survival shelter, surviving 2 creeper blasts first thing in the morning, watching Joe be chased by 6-8 flaming zombies, playing in the snow, and being fished out of the water

edit: also, vomiting up 64x of dirt on Canti when everyone was looking but him

edit, also: having the game crash and logging back in to find that where I was standing had been walled off, and that I was standing on a 1x3 rock ledge on a sheer mountain face, staring at a large mob in the middle of the night... :D
    edited December 2010
    Bandrik wrote:
    so much for "minimal effect on the landscape during our travels"... <:{

Agreed. :(
    edited September 2011
    Hmm, have we thought about doing another one of these? I know it's been a while and the server has changed greatly, but I'd be more than happy to take one night to go and explore more of the map with you guys :D