ICNY Beer Tasting Signup and Survey!

RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
edited December 2010 in Community
5129230263_5c6004d664.jpg

Awwww yeah. There enough people coming into the area to justify digging into the cellar to supply another awesome beer tasting. I've added some new options and brought back some old ones.

Please take the survey here if you are interested in participating in the tasting.

Last time I got participants first and then picked the tasting type second, so this time I'll do it the other way around. Once everyone who's interested has voted, I'll pick the style and pick the participants in the order in which they voted prioritizing those who preferred the selected tasting the most.

Please take the survey here!

I will be cross-referencing my selections with availability. New Year's Eve day might be a little hectic, so I want to leave Dec 30th as a possibility - I need to know who's available on both days so I can schedule things appropriately.

Please take the availability survey here!

See you next week!

Comments

• RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Welcome WagsFTW, MAGIC, Rootwyrm, and Gargoyle to the tasting pool! Happy to have enough people to pull it off on an hour's notice!
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    In before the rest of you!
    This time I will not be sampling of all the remainders. Lesson learned. ;)
    edited December 2010
    All the extra beer was the best part!
    edited December 2010
    RyanMeray wrote:
    All the extra beer was the best part!

Extra Beer: :thumbup
    Passing Out As A Result: :thumbsdow
    edited December 2010
    Yeah...that's not an ideal outcome. I hadn't heard about that until just now. hah
    edited December 2010
    Thrax, Gnome Queen, and CannonFodder join the candidate list! Thanks guys!
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Surveys completed. I think the only other event of concern its the mtg draft, which shouldn't be a problem.
    edited December 2010
    RyanMeray wrote:
    Yeah...that's not an ideal outcome. I hadn't heard about that until just now. hah

Hee, yeah. It wasn't negative per se, I only missed two hours of drinking! It was worth it! :bigggrin:
    edited December 2010
    Surveys completed. I think the only other event of concern its the mtg draft, which shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like the MTG draft is on Saturday, so yeah, that shouldn't be a prob. Welcome aboard!
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    So excited! :)
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Jealous. So, so jealous.
    edited December 2010
    Not making it to ICNY this year? Bummer :(
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    So excited for round #2~ :D
    edited December 2010
    I have 10 votes now for the tasting, so it's time to unveil the results!

Leading the pack by 11 points is the Split Horizontal!

iv1jX.png

I'm actually quite pleased with the result, as I'm going to be able to offer up a variety of styles so that hopefully, everyone who partakes will walk away with something they've enjoyed.

I've decided on the theme for this tasting:

Battle of the Beer: Michigan vs. The United States!

4pm, Friday, December 31st, ICHQ

We'll be mixing up the best Michigan has to offer in several styles of beer and comparing to a well-rated offering from elsewhere in the world. Like last time, the tasting will be blind except for having disclosed the style of each beer so they can be compared and contrasted. Due to the popularity in the voting, Chocolate beer and Barley Wines will be among our featured styles. I struggled to figure out the remaining two styles; I didn't want a lot of sameness so I ruled out imperial stouts, I wanted to avoid stuff that would later fall into a 'big beer' or 'rare beer' tasting, and I'm staying away from spring and summer styles like wits, hefes, IPAs, ambers, etc.

Without further adieu, the tasting will consist of the following:

2 American Barleywines (bourbon barrel aged!)
    2 Porters
    2 Chocolate Beers
    2 ??? (To be determined!)

This should be a nice variety to keep our palates on their toes and give everyone something they can enjoy. It'll also be a bit cheaper than the last one since I won't have as many limited/rare brews, the total is only $9 this time around.

In so far:
    Myself
    Lincoln
    Meghann
    Wags
    Cannonfodder
    GnomeQueen
    MAGIC
    Thrax
    Gargoyle
    Rootwyrm
    Primesuspect

See you in less than a week!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Okay I'll go on the waiting list.
    edited December 2010
    Primesuspect joins the fray! He'll be glad to find out the verification came back 'no', so he's on the final list. There may be other drop outs, so if anyone else is interested please let me know.
    edited December 2010
    Okay, I had a crazy idea, not sure if this is worth pursuing or not, but bear with me.

If there was sufficient demand, and I didn't have to cancel the December 31st tasting, I could spin off the two chocolate beers from that tasting, replace them with another style, and do an entirely chocolate-centric tasting on January 1st. 7-8 chocolate beers, if I had to guess it'd be around the same price or slightly cheaper.

Would anyone participating in this tasting want to do the second tasting ALSO? If you would RATHER do only the latter tasting, let me know. I'm sort of gauging interest and if I get some people on the waitlist and you'd rather be bumped into the chocolate tasting, let me know.

This isn't happening yet until I know what the response is. The sooner I get a feel for it the better.

Cheers!
    edited December 2010
    I vote for keeping just the one tasting, with those two chocolate beers included. Can do more chocolate beers at another event, like St. Patty's. I like the idea of variety with the tasting you came up with on the 31st.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    I'm not a huge fan of chocolate beers, so I'm out for a dedicated tasting.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    WagsFTW wrote:
    I vote for keeping just the one tasting, with those two chocolate beers included. Can do more chocolate beers at another event, like St. Patty's. I like the idea of variety with the tasting you came up with on the 31st.

Seconded. Based on observation from the last tasting event; Rootwyrm might not survive two.
    edited December 2010
    Okay, sounds good. Leah suggested we save the chocolate beer tasting for Valentine's day. heheh.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    RyanMeray wrote:
    Okay, sounds good. Leah suggested we save the chocolate beer tasting for Valentine's day. heheh.

:thumbup:vimp:
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Dangit ICSP, get here quick!
  • FafouteeFafoutee Troy MI USA New
    edited December 2010
    when? where?
  • HumerusMegHumerusMeg Something, something medical professional, Fitness bitch, Sexy chef Austin Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    WagsFTW wrote:

I agree with only the one tasting and saving the chocolate beers for another occasion! :D
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    WHERE IS DESK!?

WHEN!?
    edited December 2010
    Fafoutee wrote:
    when? where?

what?
    edited December 2010
    Okay folks, the final details have been determined. I am working on obtaining the last beers needed to round out the tasting. I have some good news and bad news.

The bad news is, I've decided to drop the two chocolate beers from the tasting. I think a pure chocolate beer tasting is a grand idea, possibly around Valentine's day or at ICSP, so in order to give that its just desserts (HAH) we'll be dropping the chocolate beer.

I was able to obtain the beers desired for the mystery category, and I'm ready to reveal we will be tasting...

WHEAT WINES!

Not just two wheatwines, we'll be sampling THREE!

I would also like to say that we have an opening for one more attendee. As a result of reducing the beers from 8 to 7, I can now seat ONE more person. First person to post in this thread, OR contact me via twitter, is in for the tasting!

Also, the price goes down as a result, it's now only $8 a head. Yay!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    If anyone wants to take my spot, they can have it. I don't like xxxwine beers at all, and I was really looking forward to the chocolate beers.

//EDIT for clarity: I'll still be in the test if someone can't take my spot, just to keep costs down for others. Maybe I'll be surprised.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    If anyone wants to take my spot, they can have it. I don't like xxxwine beers at all, and I was really looking forward to the chocolate beers.

//EDIT for clarity: I'll still be in the test if someone can't take my spot, just to keep costs down for others. Maybe I'll be surprised.

I feel the same way.