*FIX* Linksys WMP54G v4.1 lag on Windows 7

13»

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Andifer wrote:
    stupid windows 7 and its..'enhanced compatibility'

This line seems wholly unnecessary. You are trying to use an ancient product with a very recent operating system. Do not blame the OS for not knowing what to do with the old product, whose supplied drivers from the company that produced the product are not functional. I groan about M$ as much as the next guy sometimes, but I don't blame them for things out of their control.
  • edited August 2010
    Andifer wrote:
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and I had a question about this exact problem.
    I have the windows 7 64 bit and WMP54g version 4.1.
    Whenever I first install the ralink driver it seem to work fine but then only after working for 1 day or so, everytime I boot up my computer it crashes in 2-3 minutes. I thought it was being caused by other programs but it doesn't seem likely. So I just reinstalled WMP54g drive and the computer doesn't crash, but there is a lag spike. So I have to reinstall ralink and this cycle keeps on going. Does anyone else have this problem? or should I just get another wireless card
    Try Msi driver RT61V3.0.2.0, follow instruction used for installing Ralik driver, procedure is the same but use Zip file issued in this address http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=driver&maincat_no=131&prod_no=1063. Driver works for WMP54g ver 4.1, choose Ralink RT61 Wireless LAN Card V2 option

Good luck!

I attach driver anyway
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the driver.

I think I have finally figured out why it was crashing though. I think it had to do with Windows update. I disabled windows update for now and no crashing so far.

I'll have to enable it again once I get my new wireless network card.
    Thanks to everyone for helping me out.
  • edited November 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    The Windows Update-provided Windows 7 driver for the Linksys WMP54G WLAN adapter is bad. It will increase your latency and cause outrageous packet loss.

If you're looking to fix the Linksys wmp54g Windows 7 driver issue, you must download the Windows Vista 32/64-bit driver for the Ralink RT256x & RT266x Series WLAN chipsets, which I have attached at the end of this post.

The WMP54G 4.1 will not inherently recognize these drivers as compatible, so you must force the card to install the Ralink RT61 WLAN Card V2 drivers. Please see the attached image to see the driver installation procedure.

Signed up just to say thank you. So far so good.

Not sure how I had "Ralink RT61 Wireless LAN Card V2". Whether it was downloaded from somewhere, or from Windows 7. My install is almost 1 year old I think.

Tried the drivers you posted, and chose "Ralink Wireless LAN Card V2" ...somehow without the "RT61" it's faster... :tongue:

Suffice to say my WiFi connection isn't a complete pile of nonsense at this stage. I knew there was something very wrong with my previous drivers.
  • edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    The Windows Update-provided Windows 7 driver for the Linksys WMP54G WLAN adapter is bad. It will increase your latency and cause outrageous packet loss.

If you're looking to fix the Linksys wmp54g Windows 7 driver issue, you must download the Windows Vista 32/64-bit driver for the Ralink RT256x & RT266x Series WLAN chipsets, which I have attached at the end of this post.

The WMP54G 4.1 will not inherently recognize these drivers as compatible, so you must force the card to install the Ralink RT61 WLAN Card V2 drivers. Please see the attached image to see the driver installation procedure.

you sir are a genius. thank you very much.
  • edited April 2011
    If you have Windows 7 with 32 bit system. Here is what you can do to resolve driver problem for WMP54G V4.1, go to Device Manager, click on Network Adapters, right click non-working Networking device and select Update Driver, click Browse my computer for ..., click Let me pick from a list of device ..., unchek the Show compatible hardware check mark, select Ralink Tech Corp, and finally Turbo Wireless PCI Adapter... The rest is okay for all. Hope this will help you...