A new Dead Space installment released for iOS

BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I think I love the "buy cheap, pay tiny amounts for in-game content" model... And it sounds like they're doin' it right.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I hate microtransactions with a burning, furious passion.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I'm personally a little bit off-put by the real-money shop, but... I guess you can think of it as the legit Game Genie of today's gaming mentality. Spend a little bit more to make the game a bit easier. Some may argue it punishes less skilled players and their pocket books, but the Game Genie wasn't cheap either back in the day.

I guess in the end of the day, you can always skip the in-game real-money store and just accept the game may be harder than if you had caved and spent more cash. I could live with that. But ultimately, I REALLY think that micro-transactions should be limited to things that don't significantly alter the gameplay, like offering different costumes/skins, bonus levels, and maybe a few new weapons/tools that are balanced with what's already out there (doesn't make things easier, just adds variety).

Also, I loved my SNES Game Genie. Messing around with games and doing things you normally could never have done was awesome.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited January 2011
    This is sitting on my wishlist waiting for me to finish the original game, look really good. I don't mind the micro-transaction model at all, particularly on devices.

I'd hardly call this the first time iOS gets serious about gaming, particularly when Infinity Blade was released a few months ago. Perhaps this is the first time we've gotten a really serious game tied to preexisting console & PC IP.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Dead Space is a universal app, meaning you buy it once and it will work on both the iPad and various iPhone/iTouch models, all while scaling appropriately—a feature I wish more games would support.

Dead Space has 2 different builds, one for iPhone/iPod touch $6.99 & one for iPad $9.99. You will need to buy the app on each device. As with any iPhone App you can run them on an iPad but at iPhone size only. So in other words the game is not universal :(

As for in game purchases, they are not required to complete the game or to get all the unlocks. The purchase system allows users to buy upgrades ahead of time if they so desire. In all the system works for impatient gamers who want to get a boost in gear/weapons right away.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Sorry about that. The info has been fixed.