Prospective Team Member Guide

12346»

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Nope, it doesn't use much bandwidth at all. The assignments are usually a few MB is all.

Also, this is strictly a command line program, so you're fine there.

That said, putting it on your VPS might not be the best idea. Depending on how your hosting company has their VPSes set up, and how closely they monitor their VPS parent servers, it could monopolize the CPU time of the parent and result in an irate email from the hosting company.
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited January 2011
    Alright, cool, thanks.

I've read through the FAQs, guides, and whatnot, and I think I'll be joining!

I mean, I just leave my computer sitting on all day anyway, so may as well dedicate some of those spare CPU and GPU cycles to something worthwhile.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    That's the spirit. ;)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Let me know if you have any questions about config (or I can provide you my config lines as examples, which is also present in other threads in this forum)
  • MalpercioMalpercio Greater St. Louis Area
    edited January 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Let me know if you have any questions about config (or I can provide you my config lines as examples, which is also present in other threads in this forum)

Alright, thanks!

I think I set everything up alright, although my CPU has only completed 20% of it's WU and it's been running for 12 hours now, is that normal? I don't really know. (I'm using SMP, so it's one of the large ones, 500000 steps is what the terminal says.)

My GPU already finished up one 20000 WU, but seems to be having issues sending the results back to the servers and retrieving a new WU, (the logs put it at attempt 9), but I really don't know if anything specifically could be causing that.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Create a new thread about this, post up your work log or a screen shot of the f@h command window, also what f@h processes are running in task manager,your folding username, and what your current hardware set up that you are folding on is. The work log is going to be in the dir. where the f@h exe is.

Then we can take a look and see if it is normal or something else is going.
    edited January 2011
    What he said.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Just installed the program, currently watching the viewer...nothings happened yet :P

(This makes it the second passive program I've got on my comp alongside my Enigma Client.)

On that note, maybe Icrontic could add Engima decoding, if only for fun.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Not sure exactly what you mean by nothing's happened yet. If it's still doing weird stuff, just start a new thread and we'll troubleshoot it.

Sometimes the viewer waits while background processes get stuff ready, like downloading work units and such.
    edited November 2011
    You should check taskmanager for CPU usage. If the folding client isn't getting any resources, then it won't be folding. I don't think i've looked at the viewer more than once because it is rather useless as a tool to tell you what is happening. Post your log file .txt as an attachment and we can tell you if anything is happening and check it's usage in task manager.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    No its fine, checked it this morning I've got about 25% done on the current protein my comps working on.