Design your ideal smartphone

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited April 2011 in Science & Tech
Within the limits of an ecosystem (no iPhones running BlackBerry OS) and present technology, design the ideal phone for you. I'll begin!
  • 4.3" SLCD screen
  • Dual core 1GHz+ CPU
  • Android 2.2+
  • HTC Sense UI
  • Aluminum unibody
  • No keyboard
  • HDMI output
  • 1700MHz AWS radio (T-Mobile US/Mobilicity CAN)

If HTC ever introduces such a phone, I will be buying it. I had very high hopes for the ThunderBolt, but it ended up being a single core CDMA phone, which was a bummer for me. I hope the company has a response to the Moto Atrix at the GSMA MWC next month.
ยซ13

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    • 4.5 - 5.5" SLCD screen
    • Dual core 1GHz+ CPU
    • Android 2.2+
    • HTC Sense UI
    • Aluminum unibody
    • Hardware and on screen keyboard
    • HDMI output
    • Sprint/Verizon compat plus GSM for use abroad
    • Wifi/Bluetooth (pretty standard these days)
    • 16GB of phone memory with compatibility for 64GB SD card.

I could do 100% of my work from anywhere in the world with this.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Thrax, your exact specs, except Android 2.3+. Gingerbread is phenomenal.

I don't need CDMA and GSM, since I don't go abroad much (ever), but I'm really waiting for WiMax to make its way into this area.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    4" 3D screen
    A processor
    iOS
    Carbon fiber body
    Embedded pico projector
    8GB phone memory
    SD slot? (I don't need it.)
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I haven't had a chance to try Gingerbread yet. I should go to one of the phone stores and give it a try.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    alienware_phone.jpg

Problem?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Worst. Concept phone. Ever.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I want an iPhone 4 and a HTC Evo to have sex. The child will have a slight dual core birth defect, but I would love it as my own.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Android 2.3 or 3
    4" capacitive AMOLED
    Rounded metal chassis
    Optical trackball
    No keyboard
    1024x560 (or better!) resolution
    1.2GHz dual core
    HDMI out
    Micro USB charge
    LED flash
    4GB internal, expandable to 32+ GB via micro SD
    Micro SIM
    40-hour battery given extensive 3G/HSDPA and GPS activity

Delicious.
    edited January 2011
    Ah, yes, I forgot to mention resolution. I will now accept no less than qHD.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    zackphone.jpg
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I just want the Atrix to be on T-Mobile so I can retire my laptop. Hell, I would be tempted to cancel my Pandora order. That device is convergence done right.

The software for managing your workflow while moving between phone/laptop dock/entertainment dock really blows my mind. Usually, the kind of features it offers are the kind of things that users wish they had, that they cry out "why didn't they think of this in testing." Motorolla, of all companies, seems to have really nailed it.

Since this is really a wish list, I guess I'll wish for Playstation Suite certification.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Why don't you like keyboards? (I don't disagree, but I'm curious.)

The only place I find myself lacking a keyboard is for the new NES emulator app I found.

Using a touch D-Pad really leaves me disappointed.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I'm not a fan of physical keyboards either. I find it harder to type than with an on-screen keyboard.
    edited January 2011
    I like physical keyboards, but they're hard to get right. The keyboard on my G1 is better than my G2. And the keyboard buttons are laid out such that they've not very good for gaming, anyway.
    edited January 2011
    Given the mediocrity of the keyboards that can be fit into the form factor of the phones I like the most, it was easier for me to get used to virtual keyboards, which I am now pretty handy at. I don't accept the "well I can't get used to it" argument, because everyone once said the same thing about T9 and QWERTY.
    edited January 2011
    Swype is infinitely easier and faster than typing anything on a hardware keyboard with your thumbs.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Swype is infinitely easier and faster than typing anything on a hardware keyboard with your thumbs.

I've had problems with Swype not recognizing words that I use on a daily basis, mainly local dialect words (South) like fixin to, y'all, crik, daggum, etc. That being said, I'm pretty sure if I used the Swype option more on my Captivate, I would get pretty good at it and never use a regular virtual keyboard anymore.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    lol @ southern words. (don't get me wrong, I'm from the south)
    edited January 2011
    True, I apologize - I was assuming people use true Standard American English in their communiques, though that may be asking a bit much.
    edited January 2011
    I consider Swype a must-have feature for touchscreen phones. I also have trouble with it not recognizing words, but if I bothered to add more words to the dictionary, it would improve. Instead, I usually flip out the hardware keyboard as soon as Swype starts to frustrate me.
    edited January 2011
    I ended up getting SwiftKey for my phone (because I got sick of waiting for Swype to become available). I'll probably never switch. It's amazing and the way it learns and predicts what you're going to type based on your past speech patterns is brilliant.
  • CrumbleShakeCrumbleShake England
    edited January 2011
    The Mozilla Seabird is my ideal smart phone. I doubt there's much else I could ask for other than for it to actually exist.
    edited January 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Given the mediocrity of the keyboards that can be fit into the form factor of the phones I like the most, it was easier for me to get used to virtual keyboards, which I am now pretty handy at. I don't accept the "well I can't get used to it" argument, because everyone once said the same thing about T9 and QWERTY.

While I agree its easier to type on virtual keyboards, having a few hard buttons for feedback sensitive apps (games?) would be nice though.
    edited January 2011
    While I agree its easier to type on virtual keyboards, having a few hard buttons for feedback sensitive apps (games?) would be nice though.

Like this one?

xperiaplayhero01252011-1295924690.jpg
    edited January 2011
    Now, can you put that on an Evo?
    edited February 2011
    It is too bad that it's a Sony Ericsson. They're shown pathetic commitment to Android phones and updates. And those chrome buttons are fugly (they actually look better in this photo than in others).
  • litenkulitenku Maryland Member
    edited February 2011
    Ideal phone:
    1. iPhone size/weight/resolution but with SAMOLED (or whatever the Galaxy S uses) screen that's not Pentile.
    2. Less glass to shatter/break - metal/carbon fiber exterior rather than glass
    3. made by and backed by a company that provides frequent updates to spiffier features, unlike the Samsung Captivate that I have.
    4. Good battery life (more than 1.3 days on a charge)
    5. Antennas (WiFi+GPS) that work consistently and reasonably accurate
    6. GSM (SIM card = teh awesome)
    7. NO physical keyboard (they make the phone bulkier and with slideouts, flimsier, plus I'm kind of used to Swype now).
    8. Internals - I don't care that much. Current phones are plenty fast. Dual core might be nice, but I'm thinking more of a unified APU a'la AMD's implementation, but for non x86 might also be good - this is directed at YOU, Thrax - get your company onboard! Better GPU accelerated UI might go a long way to not needing a dual core processor.
    edited February 2011
    Today's smartphone SoCs are already APUs. Tegra 2 and the Qualcomm Snapdragon series combine a GPU, CPU and various DSPs on a single chip. Hardware-accelerated UI must come from software, as the hardware support is already there.
    edited February 2011
    My Nexus One but with a dual core processor, about 50% more internal flash memory and better battery life.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited February 2011
    brick_2d5f9.jpg