$99 64gb Crucial SSD shellshocker

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2011 in Trading Post
A hell of a deal on an SSD.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    The 64GB OCZ Vertex 2 is $115 right now. It has a 4x faster write speed; 3x more IOPS; and better 4k random read performance, the only true indicator of how fast the drive will "feel" in Windows. Sure, it's not SATA-6, but I bet there's only a handful of people on IC that have it.

In all, the Vertex 2 is a better value (from an amazing company)!

//EDIT: The SandForce controller in the Vertex 2 will offer more consistent performance over time, as its GC/TRIM algorithm is much better than the C300's Marvell controller.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    If only I had an extra 100$ to drop =/
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    Good call, Thrax.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    what you can expect from a Vertex 2. <3 my 90GB version

also, the one Thrax linked, is $99 after MIR, so there really is only one option

atto_vertex2.jpg
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    I think I may jump on this. Any quick recommendations for how to install/configure Windows 7 and applications/data to properly utilize the SSD?
    edited January 2011
    Install Windows 7, move swap+temp to HDD, disable automatic defrag. Done.
    edited January 2011
    Easy enough. I assume I'd install most apps to a second standard HDD and any apps I'd prefer to load more quickly to the SSD?
    edited January 2011
    That's right. I put the most load-heavy games and Photoshop on my SSD. Works like a charm.
    edited January 2011
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. Being able to buy so much space for so cheap for so long is making it difficult for me to justify $100 for 60GB, but I'd really like to take the SSD plunge. :)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2011
    WEI will detect that you have a SSD and disable defragmenter on that drive (course it's always good to manually make sure it is off). also turn off hibernation
    1269d1228654799-hibernate-enable-disable-disable.jpg
    and install the intel rapid storage technology link, that is if you are using an intel chipset
    edited January 2011
    Great! Thanks. I turn off hibernation anyway. I've never had anything but trouble with it in all iterations of Windows.