Trouble installing Office XP

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
When I insert the cd or load the image it starts and asks for the serial key. After that it says it can't find the cd. The CD and image have worked before. Doesn't even work from a fresh installation with nothing else installed. Only slipstreamed SP1. It's an "Unlimited Trial" version ;) but I don't think it would matter since it worked before.

Comments

• dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    Blackhawk said
    When I insert the cd or load the image it starts and asks for the serial key. After that it says it can't find the cd. The CD and image have worked before. Doesn't even work from a fresh installation with nothing else installed. Only slipstreamed SP1. It's an "Unlimited Trial" version ;) but I don't think it would matter since it worked before.

Has it worked before on this same machine, or anther? it could be a problem with your trial version, maybe it has run out? ;)

~dodo
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    It has worked for over a year and on other computers.
    edited June 2003
    interesting....this is on win xp, i assume?

~dodo
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    I have the same problem with my copy of Office 2000. On most of my computers it gives me the same runaround. To solve it I did a custom install and selected only the options I knew I would be using. (This involves all of the sub-categories, like filters, etc.)

I think my problem was in the little thumbnails it installed for the clip art - gobs of tiny files that didn't want to copy. I had more luck at times by pulling out an old 8X CDROM drive. It took forever, but gave me far fewer "can't read the disc errors". I also crossed my fingers and told it to skip files it flat-out refused to see on the CD, figuring if it was important to something I used I could always copy the file off a machine that already had Office installed and working.

Good Luck!

Prof:cool:
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    dodo: Yes this is on XP.

profdlp: It doesn't reach that far. Right after I enter the cd key it displays the box to choose where the cd is at. I've tried Daemon Tools and the cd.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    A new CD? Can you copy the contents to the HDD and see if it will install from there?
    edited June 2003
    Is this a reinstall? If so you might try running the uninstall program.

I would try mmonnin's idea first.

Have you checked other discs in the drive?
    Have you checked the OfficeXP disc in another computer?
    You could try changing your cdrom drive letter, or even blow out your IDE Controller drivers to force Windows to re-find and re-install your drive. (A little kick in its digital arse).

Assuming the disc & drive are OK, this is a weird one.

Good Luck!:(

Prof
    edited June 2003
    mmonnin: I'll try that.

profdlp: I'm using an iso with Daemon Tools (phantom drive).
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    Always check the easiest and cheapest things first. Usually the media you are working with, IE CD or floppy. They go bad/scratch before the CD ROM would.
    edited June 2003
    Blackhawk said
    mmonnin: I'll try that.

profdlp: I'm using an iso with Daemon Tools (phantom drive).

I'n not familiar with Daemon Tools, but is it possible to burn a disc from the ISO image?

Prof
    edited June 2003
    Yes and I've tried to no avail. From where I'm installing isn't the problem and I don't think the image is corrupted.
    edited June 2003
    Try a fresh install of winxp and install office before windows SP1. Maybe there is a conflict there?

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    That's not the problem cause it used to install w/o SP1 and with SP1. From a fresh installation too.

Ahh screw it! I'm using Open Office. I need MS Office for Power Point cause my dad recieves alot of emails with pps attachments. Anyone know if a pps viewer?
    edited June 2003
    Blackhawk said
    That's not the problem cause it used to install w/o SP1 and with SP1. From a fresh installation too.

Ahh screw it! I'm using Open Office. I need MS Office for Power Point cause my dad recieves alot of emails with pps attachments. Anyone know if a pps viewer?

You used to be able to download PowerPoint Viewer from MS (free).

Look there.

Prof
    Good Luck!
    edited June 2003
    edited June 2003
    Thanks! :)