We need new Folding Awards

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Folding@Home
I was thinking that the Icrontic Folding Awards needed porting over to Team Short-Media! Obviously there needs to be a new image to it, but of course the principle must still be there - handing out of the awards.

I still have my Bronze award, so I'll attach it below if anyone wants to make a sexy new one.... :D

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I was really trying to get another Bart Williams trohpy made... that was the award we were using the most.

What I'd really like to see is a name for, same, 100K or something like that and make a corresponding trophy to go with it. Having a name/object to associate would be pretty cool, I think.

Plus, I want to try and keep the size of attached images down as much as possible ;) They're murder on the DB. Certificates are cool, but if we go with that let's trim it down a wee bit :cool:
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited June 2003
    I think we need a trophy with a short bread cookie on top, now that would be something to behold. Ya know short bread, short media. Well I thought it would be funny:rolleyes:
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    The certificate ones were never in much use at IC, and like Keebs said, we need to keep the size down; so I would certainly like to see a new trophy type award.

~FA
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I think something on a smaller scale would work alot better. I think the Trophy idea is a good one.

As for attached images, I am sure we all have webspace free, why dont we all donate some, then we dont have to worry about the size of the images.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited June 2003
    Hosting isn't a problem, village photos is a nice host, and a free account gets 5MB...so there is plenty of space.

~FA
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited June 2003
    All we would have to do is attach it once and keep track of th url. Then only a query and bandwidth is used.
    edited June 2003
    Good call Marc. All the same, I'll still rather see something a little smaller... maybe the trophy idea... or a condensed certificate. Just my 2 cents though.
  • oddharmonicoddharmonic Dallas, TX
    edited June 2003
    I was mortified when I saw that certificate at the top of the thread -- it's far from the most elegant thing I've ever made. (I still have all the PSDs and snippets if anyone wants copies.)

Give me an approximate size in pixels and what you're looking for and I'll try to redeem myself this time.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    perhaps just add the name to the plate at the bottom? made this real quick... maybe someone else wants to take a stab.
  • FilmFilm Florida
    edited June 2003
    errr, transparent :P

edit: WOW gifs look horrible :)
    edited June 2003
    Well it looks a lot better than before. png, jpg and jpeg files will show up too.
    edited June 2003
    Wow... I actually like that idea a lot.

I just noticed over at bitbender there is a place for awards under the person's name. A small indication of folding points under the avatar area might be really cool. Shorty may have a fit about the added number of queries though... :p
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The ribbons under the name sound good. I don't see others doing that and I dislike certificates.
    Should this be something that is integrated with our folding sig? Maybe these (under the name or in the sig) could be buttons that link to the full blown version.
    I am sure that OddH would be willing to help with design. Her work isn't "too" bad;)
  • SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited June 2003
    All of the above :p.
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited June 2003
    What about putting an awards button beside the row of buttens for profile pm etc. i don't know the forum software at all so i don't know if it could be done.

anyways the butten would then link to a page of awards that the user has recieved, just a thought thou
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Maybe a ribbon and some additional marker for their sigs so everyone will know they received an award...

BTW.... Any work on a sig generator for Folding (with stats)?
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I think we should adopt the uber-133t folding trophy I made for myself when I hit 3k. And it goes a little something like this...
    edited June 2003
    I dont know if it was a static stat but Park had a sig with stats.
    edited June 2003
    Film said
    errr, transparent :P

edit: WOW gifs look horrible

How about this version? Looks a little better I think...
    edited June 2003
    That looks a lot better. Like the one without the transparent background.
    edited June 2003
    I think the first one that Film did used 'Web safe' colors when he dropped the color-depth down to 256 colors. I tried 'Nearest Color' in Photo Paint and it looks fine.