How to enable two-factor authentication on your Google account

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Tried setting this up but they don't accept numbers from PR. Meh.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    That's not america! USA USA!
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Great article Mr Suspect. Shall have a look and see if this works in the UK. I am a 2FA fanboy!
    edited March 2011
    Thanks!

Blackhawk, even though it won't accept your SMS number, can you still enable it with the print backups?
  • HubertGAMHubertGAM Detroit, MI Member
    edited March 2011
    This is very helpful. The more reliant we are on all this fancy ass technology, the more careful we need to be. Thanks B!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Ok, so now my Google cloud data is doubly safe from the hackers. When will it be it be safe from Google?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    They'll be enabling two-factor tinfoil hats, soon.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    They'll be enabling two-factor tinfoil hats, soon.
    I don't understand this response. With the level of private, personal, or otherwise confidential information they handle on a daily basis it's completely incomprehensible that they haven't implemented some sort of encryption. When I save a file to my hard drive I can reasonably expect that the only people that are going to read it are the ones with physical access to the drive. On the cloud, who knows?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    They're a company that makes money off of very targeted advertising. If you expect to use their services for free, letting them access your data to market to you better is the price you pay.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Thanks!

Blackhawk, even though it won't accept your SMS number, can you still enable it with the print backups?
    Nope.
    edited April 2011
    Hey PSN users. Maybe you should think about this...
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Should probably also make sure you change any passwords that were the same as your PSN password.
  • edited June 2011
    This is also available for webOS devices (Palm or now HP). It's called GAuth in the App Catalog and the website is here:

https://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.gregstoll.gauth
  • edited August 2011
    I can see using the sms backup for this and maybe (really maybe) printing out some passwords and putting them in my wallet. The sms backup would at least let you get a pw if you're in a bind.

I do agree that Google is one of my most important passwords and it looks like it will be even more so in the future. I do absolutely love Google though.
  • I have been using Blogger for Android for my Blogger site but have been wanting to switch over to WordPress. This is great news!! Thank you!!
  • JasonJason H. R. Chufnstuf PDX Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    If only Mat Honan had read and/or heeded this article. :p
  • Maybe it's just me, but I thought that this had existed for years now? (or at least almost one year), as that's when I remember my google account first popping up a message suggesting that I activate 2 step verification.
    It came out in March of 2011
  • GargGargoyle Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Guide might need to be updated. Link to Play store doesn't work anymore, and when I followed the steps, there doesn't seem to be anything that connects #2 to #3. Because of that, #3 is ambiguous. Do I scan the code on this page, or how do I get to the page where it displays my own? There may be a new page or a page redesign since the guide was written.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    I think the guide could benefit from a screenshot of the page where you do the remaining steps. The red box is where you select, in my case, Android to get the QR code for step 3.

It looks like the steps have changed a little. I don't have a list of steps for Set Up Phone/Add Backup/Confirm like you have in your first and second screenshot.