OCZ Vertex 2 review

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited March 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Oh my. I want this badly. And it's cheap, too. Yummy.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, after the review sample arrived I picked up two more drives - one 60GB and another 120GB...I may have to follow up with some results from connecting all three to the RAID controller.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Please do! I'd be interested at what kind of crazy speeds you can get from that!
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I've had the 60gb Vertex 2 for just over a week. Its a must have.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I have been debating installing my os on a 60gb ssd and then keeping my data on a traditional drive, but then i think... that sounds like work.
    edited March 2011
    Zanthian wrote:
    I have been debating installing my os on a 60gb ssd and then keeping my data on a traditional drive, but then i think... that sounds like work.
    But it's so worth it.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I am using a 90GB Sandforce driven SSD for my boot and program drive now. The performance difference from a fast Caviar Black Hard Drive to SSD is absolutely stunning. Boot times are improved nearly 70%, programs all load in a snap, and thats without pre loading them on start up. Even programs that launch and populate a heavy index of files from the hard drive launch much faster. Installing programs on it is even kind of silly. update your graphics drivers in thrity seconds or less, I'm not kidding, its just silly fast.

That said, I really, really wish I could afford enough SSD for my Steam install. Its huge and growing, and I kind of like to have all that variety installed for when the mood strikes. I have to forgo that for now. I did install HAWX from a disk I had onto the SSD, and the level loads are much improved. Otherwise performance is the same.

Bare minimum, get yourself 60GB, nothing smaller, because once you have it, its not just going to load and boot Windows, your going to want to put all your day to day programs on there too.

In all seriousness, every single enthusiast should consider a Sandforce driven SSD as a boot drive as their next major upgrade.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Zanthian wrote:

I was super lazy and installed from an ISO on my existing drive. OS loaded in 10 minutes and had dual boot to the old system. Installation of apps are just as fast. Reinstalled steam client and pointed to the existing directory and everything was back to normal. Quality of life +5 with SSD.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited March 2011
    Just bought a 90GB. Will be here tomorrow.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I just bought a Crucial drive. Couldn't wait for Vertex 3, though I might just migrate and sell the Crucial. 550MB/s ..... mmmmmmm
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, but sustained transfer rates don't mean anything or real-world performance. It's become the dynamic contrast ratio of the storage world.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited March 2011
    Just received my drive and WOW. I replaced a Patriot PS-100(big mistake). This thing is unbelievable.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Zanthian wrote:

Dude, it is very very worth it. That is what I did, and the difference is nothing short of WOW!!:rockon:
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    I guess i will have to save up my pennies and look at doing this. Everyone makes it sound really good. Thanks for the push ;)
    edited March 2011
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Indilinx controllers were fantastic beyond the very first generation in 2009.
    edited March 2011
    Besides what Thrax said, it makes a bunch of sense. SandForce probably wasn't up for sale and OCZ wanted to have an option for a complete in-house design (minus the NAND). Indilinx may not currently be the top performer, but they weren't exactly crappy as you stated. I'd further wager that any new controllers would at least be competitive with SandForce, and that OCZ will continue to use SandForce controllers in at least some of their SSDs until the OCZ controllers outperform anything else on the market.
    edited March 2011
    I'm not sure what OCZ is up to, but to me, you don't alienate your best partner who is helping you to make the single product that you have thats worthwhile. OCZ has pushed all in on SSD. I don't think its a bad move really. Someone is going to have to be the big winner in that emerging market. That said, do you think SandForce's vendor priority list might have gotten a big time edit? I'm just sayin, hey, you just purchased our competitor to do what? Just to put them out of business? This happens, but with company's far bigger and more cash rich than OCZ, so that is not it. You are probably right, they want to build their own in house controler, that is admirable, but in the meantime SandForce is likely to shift their support priority and unless OCZ moves on this quickly they could end out in the cold. This is all OCZ has got. They are not making RAM, they got out of the power supply business, they have really nice SandForce powered SSD's, bitter tasting energy drink's and a really slow rebate dept. It is a ballsy move, thats all I'm saying.
    edited March 2011
    Considering that Vertex 2 is one of the best selling SSDs (and Vertex 3 should do the same, only faster speeds), I doubt SandForce is ready to drop OCZ down on the priority list very much. Like I said, the Indilinx purchase doesn't necessarily mean that OCZ will abandon everything else. For all anyone knows, they bought 'em to build controllers for the Ibis line or some new line that only goes to OEMs.

Also, based on some new offerings at CES, I doubt they've left the PSU business.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    Crappy? Why is the Indilinx controller crappy?

Our roadmap remains unchanged.
    edited March 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Crappy? Why is the Indilinx controller crappy?

You tell me? OCZ dumped them for their second generation Vertex drive.

Okay, crappy may not be a fair adjective, but seriously, from a business standpoint I'm just trying to understand the move. OCZ seems to have the attention of SandForce as a partner. OCZ has the best firmware support from them. The Vertex 2, and RevoDrive are OCZ's most innovative and differentiated products to date, both built with SandForce as their technological backbone.

I'm not being unreasonable by saying the move to buy Indilinx just seems a little curious from the outside looking in. I'm really surprised by it.
  • edited March 2011
    late...lol you haven't tried their REVO DRIVE yet.
    Smoken
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2011
    Looks like it's finally time for me to try this technology... It's definately more affordable..
    edited March 2011
    william wrote:
    late...lol you haven't tried their REVO DRIVE yet.
    Smoken
    No, I haven't. It's not installed...yet.