TT's Amateur Beer Reviews

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Food & Drink
I don't claim to be the best beer taster around, but I figured I'd share. Recommendations welcome!

:vimp:

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    3.5 out of 5

This beer always reminds me on a roasted marshmallow. Good for enjoying on its own - might be a little competitive with dinner.
    edited March 2011
    3.5 out of 5

Goes down easy, I can see this being a good party beer. Nice wheat taste with a little more citrus variety than your typical unfiltered wheat.
    edited March 2011
    2.8 out of 5

A good ale - I’ve been hit or miss on this. Sometimes it’s great, sometimes it’s got a little soap taste to it.
    edited March 2011
    3.7 out of 5

A great Stout - great with beef or something else hearty. Definitely something that will fill you up, so bring a big appetite.
    edited March 2011
    2.1 out of 5

This is a nicer dark beer that would go great with dinner. Pretty subtle, not too much to it, just a little sweet.
    edited March 2011
    1.3 out of 5

Pint-sized cans are always a plus, but this beer basically reminds me of a euro-version Old Style that’s been heat-cycled a few times before you open it. It’s just unpleasant.
    edited March 2011
    3.7 out of 5

Large, corked bottle. Very easy to drink, but it’ll get you if you’re not careful. Would be good with a dinner with friends, but I can’t imagine drinking the entire thing, especially in enough time to keep it from getting too warm. Great if everyone is having it, probably not a good idea is you’re the only one.
    edited March 2011
    1.8 out of 5

A little sweet, almost like a caramel flavor, but not much of it. A hint of spice, this is lacking any real flavor but is too heavy to be a light beer. Not really sure what to do with this one.
    edited March 2011
    3.3 out of 5

nice roasted flavor, good head. a hint of sourness though, not much carbonation. Not a bad porter, but certainly not the best out there.
    edited March 2011
    2.7 out of 5

not the best wheat ever, flavor and aroma leave something to be desired. Nothing outstandingly bad either - just an average wheat beer with an above-average price. Sad.
    edited March 2011
    2.5 out of 5

Smells nice and fruity / citrusy. Tastes a lot different - almost sour like some fruit juice that’s been warmed / left out too long instead of just a pure hoppy taste. Nice texture and plenty of carbonation. Not a bad beer - but there’s definitely not enough of the good stuff and I notice a little too much of the rough spots to make it entirely enjoyable.
    edited March 2011
    4.2 out of 5

NICE hop aroma, nice gradient cloudy appearance. Beautiful sweet, roasted carmel weisse taste that finishes great. Nice beer!! Too bad it was USD$4.00 for a 1-pint bottle at the local grocery store, but I’d do $2, maybe $3 for home or possibly $3.50 at a pub.
    edited March 2011
    1.8 out of 5

a LOT of head - with a 13-ounce glass, plan on only getting slightly more than half the bottle in, then it’s a 5-minute wait to get the rest in. Nice caramel malty taste with a pronounced hop flavor, followed by citrus and a slightly bitter yeasty finish.
    edited March 2011
    3.2 out of 5

Light fruit / citrus aroma, an expected wheat-ale appearance and a nice light citrus taste with a sweet finish. Would like to see a little more viscosity, but the watery consistency of this beer compliments the citrus. A nice summer beer for cookouts, golf etc. Might be a little too weak to stand on its own.
    edited March 2011
    2.6 out of 5

Smells like lemonade, tastes more like lemonade than beer as well. Not bad, but not beer-y. Good carbonation, consistency. Not bad, but a little too sweet - like you used too much lemonade powder and not enough water.
    edited March 2011
    2.2 out of 5

Almost no aroma, but what’s there is like roasted hops, is an opaque black with a quickly-dissipating head, light carbonation. Bitter and savory/umami in taste. Slightly sticky palate, thin texture. Not a bad dark beer, but could do better. Would love to get more caramel taste and a thicker consistency.
    edited March 2011
    2.2 out of 5

pale red with almost no head whatsoever. Weak spicy but slightly bitter/sour aroma. Bitter, stale citrus taste with a stale acidic, doughy aftertaste. Pretty watery consistence followed by an oily feeling. Overall not a completely offensive beer, but definitely would not consider this one desirable.
    edited March 2011
    3.6 out of 5

Nice citrusy hop smell. Golden color with light carbonation. Little head. Definite wheat and citrus taste. Nice palate, thick. Nice relaxing beer with a good finish.
    edited March 2011
    2.3 out of 5

spicy hoppy smell. Nice head that dissipates fairly quickly. dark brown appearance with hardly any carbonation. light body, much lighter than you’d expect for a beer this dark and a bit of a sticky stale aftertaste. Pretty boring overall, I’d choose it on $0.50-bottle night.
    edited March 2011
    1.7 out of 5

smells spicy, like hops and spruce/citrus. Extremely clear and watery with no head at all, not much carbonation. Tastes spicy and artificially sweet with a sour aftertaste. Reminds me of an osage orange.
    edited March 2011
    3.3 out of 5

Light spruce hops smell in a nicely dark lager. Good head and carbonation with a thick consistency and some nice spice. Aftertaste has a slight stale hops flavor to it, covered by citrus / spruce flavor. Nice ABV. :)
    edited March 2011
    3.0 out of 5

Floral scent in a light golden ale with little head and no carbonation. Light and bright citrus and floral taste with a sweet and sticky aftertaste.
    edited March 2011
    4.3 out of 5

Rich aroma from this well-carbonated beer with a thick, creamy head. This beer is DARK - hard to see a 60W light bulb directly behind the pint glass. Now that’s a porter! Taste is great, I’m usually halfway through a pint before I realize it. Nice and thick carmel-tasting bitter with only a hint of aftertaste.
    edited March 2011
    3.5 out of 5

wow, that is hoppy. :) Pours a dark amber with a nice head, great carbonation. Smells like a whole lot of hops with a little sweet topping. Tastes extremely hoppy, with a noticeable honey-sweet flavor. Nice density to this beer. Finishes with a sticky hops floral aftertaste. If you want to know what this beer tastes like, bury your face in 2 handfuls of hops and breathe in deeply - plus a little honey taste.
    edited March 2011
    4.3 out of 5

This stout carries on the tradition of what stouts were supposed to be - the fullest-bodied, strongest version of a porter. If Bells’ Porter is too sweet for you, or if you don’t like the stickiness of chocolaty flavor of it, try this stout. Firs off, this beer pours an impressive hear even at fridge temperature. This heal ends up being non-uniform and can last for over 15 minutes with just one bottle, normal pour. The beer, of course, is the blackest brown and in a glass mug, you could confuse it for the darkest-brewed coffee. Kalamazoo stout is advertised on the bottle as having brewer’s licorice, and you can smell and taste the bite in the beer. The beer’s taste is just as you’d expect, thick, creamy and delicious. The taste or roasted barley is unmistakable and pairs with the licorice flavor perfectly. If you’re drinking this with a meal, you’d better have some good food planned to keep up - I’d recommend steak. This beer is a little bit more bitter than Bells’ porter. Have this with a nice steak and potato plate, and have a porter with/for dessert.
    edited March 2011
    3.6 out of 5

This beer reminds me of a high-altitude wildflower slope in Colorado. Tons of floral aroma and taste from a lot of hops, it could practically be a wildflower tea. A little spice gives a nice crispness to it. Pours easily with a nice head that sticks around better than mpst ales, even at colder temperatures. Carbonated nicely with a typical IPA golden color. Little bit of a honey-sweet and sticky aftertaste.
    edited March 2011
    3.0 out of 5

Not much aroma, head or carbonation on this one. Consistency is pretty thin. Tastes sweet and caramel, otherwise just tastes like a normal ale with no bitterness. Nice caramel color, otherwise not too much notable or any overwhelming character.
    edited March 2011
    3.6 out of 5

(2010 Matilda) Pours a dull and cloudy amber. Not a lot of carbonation, head dissipates quickly.Smells fairly yeasty and fruity. Tastes very yeasty, with a spice like a hard cheese. Definite fruity tang into the aftertaste. Reminds me of fall leaves or spring earth, but it’s got some liveliness to it, tastes fresh. Finishes quickly with a slight astringent aftertaste. Light body, leaves a little bit of spice behind.
    edited March 2011
    3.1 out of 5

Pours a dark brown with a tan, creamy head. Moderate carbonation with a faint malty aroma. Malty dark chocolate flavor with a bit of spice - licorice? Thick and full in consistency, but light and sparkle finish. Almost like a darker beer, but without the earthy yeast taste that would be expected. A bit of a caramel undertone that becomes more recognizable in the aftertaste. Not bad, but there’s a lot going on here. it’s good, but left me a little confused.
    edited March 2011
    3.0 out of 5

Pours well with a pillowed white head on medium-carbonated reddish amber. Definite tangy malt overtones first, then the hops on the backend. Definite bitterness to this beer, it’s got a pretty good spice to it. Pretty dense palate, and again that bitter hops aftertaste.