Portal 2 review: Worth its weight in potatoes?

BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I can't stand it, and no one is saying it, but I've played it extensively on both PS3 and PC. The PS3 version looks terrible compared to the PC version. I mean, I can't be the only one that sees it... The edges are all pixelated and have a weird "light leak" around the edges. For example, start the single-player campaign and look at Wheatley when he first enters your relaxation chamber. What the hell?

The PC version is BUTTER smooth. It's a fantastic looking game, even for an "old" engine. Also - load times were fine on my computer, not sure what you meant there.
  • doozerdoozer Florida Member
    edited May 2011
    Literally played from start to finish 2pm 'til 1am with my roommate the day before finals. Moral of the story?

Portal 2 makes you make bad decisions it's so good.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I can only think that the loading times have something to do with console-ization of the game, but I don't know any of the details. Otherwise a nice review, though I definitely dispute how appropriate the gels are in the game. I thought they added a ton of unique puzzling solving and enjoyed having them around.
    edited May 2011
    I don't at all agree with Ryan's opinion of the gels, either. I thought they were awesome. I don't hold with "stretching believability" in a fantasy world where aliens have taken over earth and a computer has taken over a research facility and... Oh, FUCKING PORTAL GUNS EXIST.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I guess my thoughts on the gels weren't clear or misconstrued. I loved them, and thought they were a lot of fun to play around with. They used the gels in a very clever way! I just wish they were kept exclusively to the co-op or some DLC pack. My issue (barely an issue) is they were made official canon in the main story arc.

But really, I only covered that because I couldn't come up with any other flaws in the game. Portal 2 really is just that good. Besides the annoying loading time, the next-biggest critique I had was a real nit-pick.

It's like someone handing you a briefcase filled with $1 million in crisp new $100 bills... and then finding fault with the briefcase because there's a loose thread on it or something.

I guess my only other real "complaint" is that I wish there was more story, more to learn, more to discover about Aperture. That's not a complaint. That's just me being a satisfied gamer that wants Portal 3 (or at least that tasty DLC).
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    How many games do you find yourself sad at the end because it was over?

I was VERY impressed with this game. I am sad it only took me a few hours to go through it.

Has anyone heard if they will be releasing a level editor along with the DLC (as mentioned in the store page for the game?)

"Product Features.... Editing Tools: Portal 2 editing tools will be included. Note: To be made available after launch."
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited May 2011
    You found the cake door! Nice!

The PC version is superior for sure, the loading screen times were fine on my PC too, yet there was a WHOLE bunch of them. I agree, there were so many they took away from the immersion of the game somewhat. Which, could be as also mentioned why the story seemed so weak. It was cool to "go back in time" to the original aperture labs, but the whole thing was a little weak in the delivery.

Heres looking forward to the DLC.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    My only real gripe with Portal 2 was that there were a few spots where you had to really hunt for the small patch of wall that you had to shoot your portal on to continue. Other than that... I loved it an inordinate amount.
    edited May 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    My only real gripe with Portal 2 was that there were a few spots where you had to really hunt for the small patch of wall that you had to shoot your portal on to continue. Other than that... I loved it an inordinate amount.
    You didn't like that some of the puzzles required you to be rather observant or think of the bigger room while looking at small portions of the visible layout? :wtf:
    edited May 2011
    No, I didn't like that during some of the transitions between the actual puzzles, they had itty bitty portalable walls way off in the distance that were sometimes really hard to see.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    So, only the puzzle in the puzzle game is allowed to be a puzzle? ಠ_ಠ
    edited May 2011
    I see. I guess I interpreted them as mini puzzles and liked it. To each his own.
    edited May 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    So, only the puzzle in the puzzle game is allowed to be a puzzle? ಠ_ಠ

There's a difference between puzzle and poor design. The way they obscured some of the portal walls made me think, multiple times, that I had found a dead end and made me backtrack only to realize no, I was supposed to go that way... but then I'd spend a good 10 minutes just staring at walls until I finally saw the little patch of white way off in the distance. Poor design. Not puzzle.
    edited May 2011
    One man's poor design is another mans puzzle game
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    There's a difference between puzzle and poor design. The way they obscured some of the portal walls made me think, multiple times, that I had found a dead end and made me backtrack only to realize no, I was supposed to go that way... but then I'd spend a good 10 minutes just staring at walls until I finally saw the little patch of white way off in the distance. Poor design. Not puzzle.

Nothing like you describe happened to me at any point in the game. Did you perchance play on the PS3? Maybe that would explain it.
    edited May 2011
    Don't even have a PS3. I'm not the only person that had the same problem. I believe Yahtzee mentioned it specifically in his review this week.

Anyway, by no means am I saying it's a bad game. It's a great game. I was just pointing out my one annoyance with it.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Don't we have a spoiler thread? Why no tags?
    edited May 2011
    Spoiler = going back to old Aperture or pointing out Ardi's annoyance? (not sure how either of those are much of spoilers, but I also already played through it so my view is distorted)
    edited May 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Don't we have a spoiler thread? Why no tags?

If you're referring to anything I've said, I don't think I mentioned anything that wasn't mentioned in the review or at least couldn't be seen in some of the screen shots.
    edited May 2011
    Spoiler? There are panels to shoot portals at? It's a puzzle game? o.O
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited May 2011
    Spoiler? There are panels to shoot portals at? It's a puzzle game? o.O

hahah, Prime has a good point here ;)

Nice review btw !
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Probably my favorite part of the game WAS the parts between main acts where I could wander around and explore at my own pace. The tension that built, that sense of anxiety of not sure what was going to come next in the story drove me literally to the edge of my seat. That transition was part of the exposition of the story in my mind, as where I was and what was coming next slowly dawned on me as I continued.

Also, I rather enjoyed looking around for the next splotch of portal-friendly wall — which yes, Yahtzee did criticize in his "Zero Punctuation" bit, haha. So I can see that some may have found it to break up the action too much, but for me it was a great ride and nice to have a break from something talking to me every step of the way.