Need new LCDs for image editing

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited May 2011 in Internet & Media
I'm currently using three dissimilar 1680x1050 LCDs on my workstation and would like to replace them with three 1920x1200 LCDs. My wife is getting into professional photography, so I'd like something geared towards that.

Requirements:
1920x1200
DisplayPort plus two other digital inputs

I was looking at this display: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236119 and thought that would be good. Thoughts? Any others out there of similar (or lower) price that are at least as good?

Thanks

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    My monitor at work is a similar model Asus. I like it. I don't do photography work though so my recommendation probably shouldn't carry much weight.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    HP ZR24w. Cheaper, better brightness, better contrast, better gamut, better response time than the Asus or the Dell U2410.

Comes with DP/HDMI/DVI.

Go.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    HP ZR24w. Cheaper, better brightness, better contrast, better gamut, better response time than the Asus or the Dell U2410.

Comes with DP/HDMI/DVI.

Go.
    I think for the nearly $100/ea savings I could deal with swapping one digital port for an analog port (no HDMI, but it has a VGA).
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    what outputs do you have?

DVI-HDMI or DP-HDMI adapters be cheap

also, I've talked with Thrax numerous times on monitors, get the HP ZR24w. Get 3 of them ;)
    edited May 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    what outputs do you have?

DVI-HDMI or DP-HDMI adapters be cheap

also, I've talked with Thrax numerous times on monitors, get the HP ZR24w. Get 3 of them ;)
    Two systems have DP, HDMI, and DVI. One has dual DVI. I'm currently using a DP-DVI adapter for one display. The other systems are only driving two monitors.
    edited May 2011
    Not sure why you need more than two digital inputs on a monitor, though. You can do anything with DP and DVI.
    edited May 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Not sure why you need more than two digital inputs on a monitor, though. You can do anything with DP and DVI.
    Three systems. It's cheaper to get the three displays than a 3-4 port DVI KVM.
    edited May 2011
    heh, I have 3 monitors for my PC..

your monitor has 3 PC's ;)
    edited May 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    heh, I have 3 monitors for my PC..

your monitor has 3 PC's ;)
    3 PCs, want to run all three monitors on each :D
    edited May 2011
    oh, I was like, how does Mr. Nick "hardware" Mertes only have one monitor.

makes sense now
    edited May 2011
    Why not just use Synergy? No need for a KVM or unique input configs.
    edited May 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Why not just use Synergy? No need for a KVM or unique input configs.
    Hadn't tried it yet. One system I cannot install software on though. I don't own it nor do I have rights (or permission for that matter). Gotta use a KVM on that one.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Seconded on the ZR24w, and I'm a known monitor elitist. Also worth considering is the DoubleSight S-IPS panel monitors.

It MUST be IPS if you want to do color correct photo editing. I recommend at LEAST a 93% RGB Gamut (NOT ADOBE!) but not greater than 110% claimed. Monitors with >110% Gamut claimed tend to exhibit color shifting. I prefer LG's latest generation IPS, but there's no downside to NEC's panels either.

Your desired lifespan needs to be a factor as well. CCFL backlit displays do wear out; 36-48 months is about the usable lifespan before backlighting has dimmed to the point of making it impossible to correct coloring. Dimming typically starts at about 24 months. The only fix is to replace the entire backlighting system, which has a high likelihood to introduce bleed due to disassembly and reassembly.
    LED displays are too new, but they don't suffer from dimming - however, that doesn't mean they won't suffer abrupt failure at some point. Again; insufficient data to make any sort of lifetime estimation. (Claim is typically >40K hrs.) There's also the issue that you have to watch for color-shifted LEDs. RGB LED backlighting is best, but several THOUSAND dollars per display. For white LEDs, you need to watch for red shifting. I won't pretend to understand why it's red shifting (based on color temps it should be blue by my understanding) but reports are, red shifted.
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I should have them in a week or so. :)

...maybe a quick Eyefinity drive with the Radeon HD 6950 is in order...