Boot Windows into application without seeing Windows at all?

RMFRMF
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
Hi Folks,

I've been asked by a friend to help out with a project, but I'm not sure if it can be done quite the way he wants it.

Basically, what I have to do is build a small form factor PC that will be used to run 1 application only. It's a demo of sorts created using unreal 3 engine and will be used as a visual installation on display somewhere.

I've already sourced the parts for the build and will receive them within the next few weeks and building it is the easy part.

The thing that we would both like to do with it is to somehow make it that Windows boots into the demo on startup which is fine, but to take it a little further than that, I would love to be able to boot directly into the demo without seeing Windows at all. No loading screen, no desktop and no access to anything other than the demo itself so a complete lockout.

It may be worth saying that there will be no keyboard and mouse connected to the PC, only a 360 controller so they will not be able to ctrl alt delete.

Is this at all possible?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I believe you can do this using group policies. I've never done it myself, but this guide details how to do essentially the same thing, except with Windows Media Center instead of your game demo:
    http://mediacenterguides.com/shell_replacement
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Nice find Mr. Hoos. I was trying to find something like that on replacing the shell.

Amazingly, in Linux, it's easy to do. I set up my digital picture frame to automatically boot into the slide show instead of the desktop.
  • RMFRMF
    edited May 2011
    Thanks Ghoosdum<cite class="ic-username"></cite>, I'll have a look into that later today.

Kwitko, I had thought of using linux instead of Windows but as far as I'm aware UT3 is not compatible otherwise it would have been perfect. It would also have kept the cost down as we wouldn't have to buy a copy of Windows for the install. Everything has to be legit and above board with this machine :(
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    You could use WINE, but I think there is actually a Linux port of UT3.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    We were promised a Linux port of UT3 that never materialized.
    edited May 2011
    Will it work under WINE?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Looks like the latest version of Ubuntu and WINE make it pretty easy.
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited July 2011
    Although he has already bought a copy of windows, so I assume he doesn't want to use WINE
  • RMFRMF
    edited August 2011
    Hi guys,

Just a quick update on this. There was a delay in the person this machine is for with getting the funds for the PC, but it's been built now and fully installed. I have set it up to load into windows without seeing anything at all. No logo, no Windows 7 branding, no welcome or shutdown messages so I'm fairly happy with it.

I've added the UDK level to the startup folder so it boots and that's fine but before it does I get an off center dialogue box on screen that hangs there for about 10 seconds before it launches the level.

Does anyone know how to hide this? Or at least have it minimised until the game loads?