EPIC '11: I'll hack your Android device for $20

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Community
Hacking a phone carries certain inherent risks. In the event of a bricked phone, we will agree to go 50/50 on the cost of a replacement.

EDIT: Set the price at $20. It's a lot of work to do this, and gives considerable benefit to you. Hopefully we can agree that it's a trivial sum for what you get. :)

<hr>

As many of you know, I am pretty handy with this here Android thing. I also enjoy rooting/hacking them as a hobby, which is made much worse by the fact that I don't own my own Android phone, yet!

So, let me live vicariously through you! Please read this entire thread, the information is important.

For $20, I will do the following:
  • Root your device: Provides superuser access to the OS. This is like running as an administrator in Windows, and it gives you access to all sorts of fun things like WiFi tethering, application/data backups, etc.
  • Enable S-OFF: Makes root permanent by disabling the read-only protection on the Android /system partition. Gaining root access modifies these files, but without S-OFF, the changes are wiped after reboot.
  • Load custom firmware: My go-to ROM is CyanogenMod 7, because it has received the most development of any custom ROM. It also strikes a great balance between new features and performance. CyanogenMod 7 is based on Android 2.3.3, better known as Gingerbread. Yes, that means your device will run Gingerbread. If you are using a phone that runs HTC Sense, and you like that particular UI, we can explore other options. I have additional preferences when it comes to tablet devices, such as PhireMod for the Nook Color.
  • (Possibly) Load a custom kernel: An Android device's kernel is the bridge between the Android OS and the hardware. A new kernel can unlock additional overclocking options, extend battery life, improve performance, or do a combination of all three. Not all devices need a new kernel, and not all devices have been around long enough for the development of one.
  • BONUS! Tweak your device: With root and custom firmware, a world of performance, usability and functionality tweaks are opened to you. I'll set the ones that every device should have, then work with you to go through the ones that are really up to user preference. This also includes applications that only work with root.

Here is a list of the devices that I am ready to support:
HTC Dream (T-Mobile G1)
HTC Magic (T-Mobile myTouch 3G)
HTC Incredible
HTC EVO 4G
HTC Nexus One
HTC Hero (Sprint Hero and VZW Droid Eris)
HTC Desire Z (T-Mobile G2)
HTC Wildfire
HTC Aria
HTC Desire
HTC Desire HD (AT&T Inspire 4G)
HTC Thunderbolt
Motorola Droid
Motorola CLIQ
Samsung Galaxy S
Samsung Nexus S
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Here is a list of devices that I will not support:
Motorola Droid X
Motorola Droid X2
Motorola Atrix 4G
Motorola Droid 2
Motorola Droid 2 Global
Motorola Droid Pro
Motorola Droid Bionic
Motorola Xoom
HTC Incredible S (Verizon Droid Incredible 2)
HTC Legend
LG Optimus 2X (T-Mobile G2x)
LG Optimus One/M/S/T/U/V
iPhone (trololol)

Here is a list of devices that I might support after talking with you:
Motorola Milestone

Please deposit any questions as well as any "in"s you may have in this thread.

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    if I bring Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat, you will haxor muh phone yus?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    What can you do for this?

rotary-phone.jpg
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I'm not going to epic this year, but have rooted my Nook Color. Fun times were had. Will take a look at PhireMod. The Android 3.0 preview 4 is pretty rocking too.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I take it the LG Optimus versions with other carriers are also on your 'not support' list?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I take it the LG Optimus versions with other carriers are also on your 'not support' list?

As far as I am aware, the LG Optimus 2X is brand new, and only on T-Mobile. What Optimus are you talking about?
    edited May 2011
    I have an LG Optimus V, the Virgin Mobile variant of Sprint's Optimus S. It's a true budget Android device; I got it for $129, and have no contract.
    edited May 2011
    Not hackable. Sorry.
    edited May 2011
    Totally okay, thanks for checking on it for me!

I'm still thrilled to have an android device instead of my el cheapo dumbphone.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    For those with Sprint Heros and EVOs, if you want a Sense-based ROM, you cannot do better than FreshROM.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    So where is the down side? Is there a down side? (Read that question as "Why don't manufacturers do this in the first place?"

I'm in for my G2

-Digi
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    because then you'd be able to do whatever you wanted with your phone, and they couldn't charge you for extras anymore.
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    So where is the down side? Is there a down side? (Read that question as "Why don't manufacturers do this in the first place?"

I'm in for my G2

-Digi
    edited May 2011
    It depends on the device in question. There are some truly classic devices like the G2, Droid or Nook Color that have been explored by the dev community so much that there really aren't any downsides.

Of course any possible downsides will be discussed before payment is rendered and work begins. :)

//edit:

To answer your other question, smartphone vendors don't do these things by default because US carriers would prefer you never get inside your phone. For example, opening an Android device to root enables free, anonymous tethering, which the carriers would really prefer you pay $50 a month for.

So... if those vendors want to get their smartphone into the lucrative American market, then they have to start locking all sorts of things down, or the carrier won't buy units.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    As a dude who had his anchient G1 rooted and pimped by Thrax at ICSP, I give my full endorsement. My phone is still slow (LOL 2008), but man, having FroYo on it is tight. And HSDPA support is sweet.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I don't see the HTC HD2 on either list.. I'm assuming you don't do Windows Mobile?
    edited May 2011
    HD2 isn't an Android device. :)
    edited May 2011
    inb4 lolwut WinMo? you jokin' right?
    edited May 2011
    Nope. It's running Windows Mobile, with the Sense overlay. Thrax, how much do you charge to expand business?
    edited May 2011
    I can look into flashing the HD2 with Gingerbread, if that's what you want. The HD2 has seen some pretty significant Android development, and it looks like it may not be too difficult.
    edited May 2011
    Sure, if you want to. If it gets better, Yay!, if it gets broken, meh, it's probably time to upgrade anyways.
    edited May 2011
    Jokke wrote:
    Nope. It's running Windows Mobile, with the Sense overlay. Thrax, how much do you charge to expand business?
    that was meant as a joke for Jokke. :)
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    no ones made a $20 US or Canadian joke yet? what is wrong with you people?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    wax wrote:
    no ones made a $20 US or Canadian joke yet? what is wrong with you people?

maybe because $1 american dollar = $1.02 canadian right now....:tongue:
    edited May 2011
    It actually = $00.97 Canadian. :P
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I am SO in... like in as if I was in line to be "IN". :D
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Can we do this without being at Epic?

Ninja edit: Also, will I be able to choose tower priority? ie: there is a really good non-sprint tower near work, but the sprint tower BARELY shows up... so I get no signal unless the sprint tower is down, when I would get amazing service.
    edited May 2011
    Not really. It would take an eternity to walk someone through all the steps.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I'll just leave this here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/index.php
    All the information to try this yourself if you are brave.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    This is not something I would like to do on my own. My phone is an extension of myself at this point.
    edited May 2011
    Depending on your phone, some are much easier than others. At least take a look at the XDA threads for your phone and see how involved it is. My experience was only with the Nook Color, granted, but that was easy as balls.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I'm in for a double rooting. I'll need my Incredible and my Nook worked on.