TT's Amateur Beer Reviews

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited March 2011
    1.8 out of 5

Quick, highly-carbonated pour into a thin, bubbling head. Dark red with a malty aroma. Yeasty taste with malt undertones. Slight hoppy aftertaste with a yeasty taste that sticks around quite a bit. Maybe it’s just a class of brew that I’m not into, but not a fan.
    edited March 2011
    3.8 out of 5

Highly carbonated pout that leaves a fizzy but deeper-than-expected head under a dark brown ale.Aroma reminds me of a porter, taste is very malty, much like a porter or stout. Slight hops taste under lots of malt flavor. Not a bad roasted aftertaste.
    edited March 2011
    2.0 out of 5

Pours quickly into a well-carbonated but quickly-dissapating and sad 1/4-inch head. It’s gone in under a minute, although the beer has a bit of bubble to it. Pours a typical amber color and has a forgettable malt aroma. Watery with a slight malt taste, followed by a mediocre and slightly bitter aftertaste. Remains on the palate and reminds me of every light macrobrew out there. Not a bad beer for 25-cent bottle night and not offensive, but i can’t imagine anyone claiming this as their favorite after a few months of being the legal drinking age.
    edited March 2011
    2.9 out of 5

Quick pour to an opaque black glass. Quickly dissipating head with large bubbles (uh oh). Chocolate (and...raspberry?) aroma on top of some fainter malt. Thinner on the palate than any other porter I’m used to with a rush of bitter dark chocolate - lots of fizz that quickly comes out all in the mouth. Roasted aftertaste with more dark chocolate leftovers. It’s a Porter for sure, but from the body, I’d almost classify this as a ’Porter light’?
    edited April 2011
    3.0 out of 5

Pours easily into a marshmallow-fluff head. Well carbonated, extremely pale yellowish-green color - think of the color as a cross between Mountain Dew and Coors Light, but a few shades lighter than both. Strong citrus aroma with slight coriander and wheat undertones.

Strong citrus taste with definite coriander. Extremely light on the palate with sour citrusy wheat aftertaste. Doesn't seem to fit the typical witbier profile, but it's an interesting and spicy take on the genre.

There's nothing overtly bad about the beer, and it's got a quirky charm to it, but it kind of sits in this weird place where it's half of a dominating novelty beer, and half of an easily-drinkable summer wheat.
    edited April 2011
    3.0 out of 5

Pours to a bright translucent amber. Very carbonated, gives a thick head that shows well-defined, large bubbles on the side of the glass but a thicker lumpy head on top that dissipates within 2 minutes or so. Very floral/citrusy aroma with slight yeast underneath. Very citrusy / earthy grain/yeast taste with a slightly yeasty aftertaste. Smooth complexion with almost too much carbonation. Earthy citrus with a yeast back overall.
    edited April 2011
    3.3 out of 5

Pours a dark amber, well carbonated with a tall head that lasts for 5 minutes. Sweet and complex hops aroma with slight malt lining. Strong and charactered hops flavor, slight malt taste on a heavy and slightly sticky palate. Bitter hops aftertaste.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    3.0 out of 5

Very carbonated...Very floral/citrusy aroma with slight yeast underneath... grain/yeast taste with a slightly yeasty aftertaste....almost too much carbonation. Earthy citrus.

SIGN ME UP
    edited April 2011
    I have some catching up to do - I started rating beers 44 weeks ago and have rated 37 beers. Would like to see if I can do 52 in 52 weeks. Got a Sam Adams multipack this weekend and have a work "pub night" tomorrow night - should put me up to 42 ratings by Friday. Maybe one more on Friday, will be at 43 at the end of week 45...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Where'd you get Rustic Saison? I'm extremely jealous you've had a Sammy I haven't.
    edited April 2011
    Sam Adams "Summer Styles" 24-pack from the local Sam's Club. $22!
    • 4 x Boston Lager
    • 4 x Summer Ale
    • 4 x Light
    • 4 x Latitude 48 IPA
    • 4 x Rustic Saison
    • 4 x East-West Kolsch

(I know, right? Random.)
    edited April 2011
    3.0 out of 5

Pours very clear and very carbonated. Yellow color with a head that sticks to the glass but dissipates quickly over a minute or two. Nice hop aroma, if a bit faint. Light and easy hop taste with little bitterness. Slight bitter aftertaste. Slightly creamy and very effervescent on the tongue - actually made me cough from so much fizzing at first.
    edited April 2011
    2.3 out of 5

Pours to a reddish amber. Very carbonated with a bubbly, sudsy thin head. Aroma is of malty sweetness with a hint of light hops. Strong malt and hops taste, with slight citrus flower and more spruce flavor. Spicy finish with an aftertaste that dissolves quickly into a sticky but smooth malt mouth. I can see pairing it with something very flavorful for contrast, like steak and onion rings, but not by itself.
    edited May 2011
    3.5 out of 5

Pours easy into a cloudy complexion with higher than normal carbonation. Foamy head that relaxes 50% into a pillowed top that sticks around for quite a while. Aroma is of yeast, lemon and hints of what smells like white pepper. Spicy taste, almost like a lemon pepper with an overly-foamy, lemony finish. Spicy lemon aftertaste with slight hops/yeast traces.
    edited May 2011
    2.5 out of 5

Pours a very clear dark amber, moderately carbonated with a small sudsy head. Prominent malt aroma with a pronounced malty taste. Hardly noticeable hops flavor under an extremely malty palate. OK mouth feel with a sticky finish.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    2.3 out of 5

Pours to a reddish amber. Very carbonated with a bubbly, sudsy thin head. Aroma is of malty sweetness with a hint of light hops. Strong malt and hops taste, with slight citrus flower and more spruce flavor. Spicy finish with an aftertaste that dissolves quickly into a sticky but smooth malt mouth. I can see pairing it with something very flavorful for contrast, like steak and onion rings, but not by itself.

This is my go-to beer just about any time. If I'm not looking for something specific, but just want a nice refreshing brew (particularly when it's served bitingly cold), the Boston Lager is the way to go.

You should also check out the offerings from Goose Island in Chicagoland. They have some really good stuff. Their 312 is a nice refreshing wheat beer, Green Line is a nice ale that's almost IPA hoppy but not as citrus-laden, the Nightstalker is a double-fermented imperial stout that has ruined me for life - no beer will ever stack up to the rich complexity that comes in that 22oz bottle (only drink it with a snifter, btw).
    edited May 2011
    1.7 out of 5

No aroma or head, moderate coronation. Slightly spicy taste with mainly malt flavor. Watery mouthful with a slightly stale aftertaste. Almost immediately makes me think I'm going to have a headache. Also, bottle said 'brewed 09/09'. tasted 05/11... Nice distribution control...
    edited May 2011
    This is my go-to beer just about any time. If I'm not looking for something specific, but just want a nice refreshing brew (particularly when it's served bitingly cold), the Boston Lager is the way to go.

You should also check out the offerings from Goose Island in Chicagoland. They have some really good stuff. Their 312 is a nice refreshing wheat beer, Green Line is a nice ale that's almost IPA hoppy but not as citrus-laden, the Nightstalker is a double-fermented imperial stout that has ruined me for life - no beer will ever stack up to the rich complexity that comes in that 22oz bottle (only drink it with a snifter, btw).

Very familiar with the Goose lineup, will need to review a few formally. Also, if the beer needs to be frozen to "taste good" - something's up. Beer should taste great at 50F, imho.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Not all beers are meant to be served in the English style (A friend of mine calls it simply 'warm and flat'). Pilsners and Lagers in particularly work well quite cold, and are extremely refreshing that way.
    edited May 2011
    I'm going to leave this here, thx Eggy.
    edited May 2011
    3.9 out of 5

As with other stouts, pours an opaque black one shade off of brown. A minimum of carbonation and a short head that's gone in a minute. Aroma is that of espresso and chocolate. Thick and creamy on the palate, tastes of slight coffee and chocolate. Quickly gives way to a choclate roasted flavor that builds up into a very strong flavor and dries out before fading into a spicy chocolate and roasted aftertaste. Leaves a sticky-sweet, mouthfeel.

would have been a 4 if it weren't so sticky, possibly 4.2+ if it could get a good head on it and some nice aroma going on. It's a good one.
    edited May 2011
    4.4 out of 5

Easy poor and well carbonated. Very dark amber with a thin head that replenishes itself for several minutes - helps the beer give off a very nice malt aroma with a slight yeast behind it. Nice spicy hop taste is combined with a bubbly and dry palate. Good ABV and the malt aftertaste isn’t bad either.

** this one just took #1 on my beer ratings list, just edged out Bells Porter (4.3)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I really love Maudite. It's the beer that introduced me to good beer.
    edited May 2011
    2.9 out of 5

Pours an opaque burnt orange with a large 2-inch head in a pint glass, leaving 30% in the bottle. Nice small bubbles in the head, but seems very lightly carbonated. Fruity hops aroma with a bit of citrus peel liner on it. Thick beer with a strong bitter base and a light yeasty top to it. Falls off into a sour and spicy citrus peel aftertaste.
    edited May 2011
    3.9 out of 5

Pours a dark brownish black with a thick head that slowly fades, leaving a coating on the glass. Aroma is slightly floral with faint dark chocolate. Taste has a licorice-like spice to it and turns to a dark chocolate. Nice and thick on the palate but flat. Dark chocolate aftertaste. I like the idea of stronger beers, but the bottle-fermented ones seem to be thrown off by the taste of the sediment. It’s not pretty to look at either.

get the bits of yeast out of the process (no bottle fermenting) and get the carbonation to have better duration, and this could be the best Stout I've had so far, and top 3 beers. Those 2 things dropped at least 0.3 points out of the rating, putting it to a respectable #5, for now.
    edited May 2011
    I really love Maudite. It's the beer that introduced me to good beer.

It's really good. Very well done. $2.19 a bottle, but well done.

I'm starting to get the idea that the people who know how to make an Ale are defining good beer style in Belgium. Maudite, Matilda, Blue Moon (although I'm not a fan but recognize it's a good beer), my local Upland Wheat, Shock Top, Mothership Wit, Hoegaarden - all Belgian-style beers.
    edited May 2011
    3.3 out of 5

Pours a foggy dull amber, lightly carbonated and with almost no head to it. Smells strongly of malt with an almost undetectable wisp of floral hops or citrus. Bitter hops flavor riding on a caramel sweetness, along with a pop of carbonation. Sour citrus-y aftertaste followed up by a malt-laced caramel mouth.

Figured I'd try a lager, since I know I go pretty heavy on the Ales. Then I remembered why I go heavy on the Ales. Not bad, not great.
    edited May 2011
    3 out of 5

Pours a clear light amber with minimal carbonation and a thinner head that leaves a lace on the glass. Aroma is a slightly spicy yeast on a malt base. Tastes largely spicy with sweeter hops and slightly bubbly on the palate. Sweet hoppy aftertaste.

Nothing wrong with this beer, but nothing outstanding.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    3.3 out of 5

Pours a foggy dull amber, lightly carbonated and with almost no head to it. Smells strongly of malt with an almost undetectable wisp of floral hops or citrus. Bitter hops flavor riding on a caramel sweetness, along with a pop of carbonation. Sour citrus-y aftertaste followed up by a malt-laced caramel mouth.

Figured I'd try a lager, since I know I go pretty heavy on the Ales. Then I remembered why I go heavy on the Ales. Not bad, not great.

Some of the Heavy Seas stuff is delicious. I'm partial to the Ale3 (I think it's called Loose Cannon)
    edited May 2011
    I picked up 6 more beers to try today, including a few lagers. I'm not ruling them out. great dinner beers, and refreshing. I'm just partial to the meal-replacement-strong ales, I suppose.